Cyber Defendertotal scam

Started out trying to download Avast free home security program, had problems so looked for tel# for customer service. Not sure how this happened but ended up phoning Cyber Defender. Explained that my security program on notebook had expired and I just wanted to replace it
He wanted remote access to my notebook and I allowed it (I believed I was talking to Avast).
Tech told me bad virus' on notebook and I needed a program called Cyber Defender to take care of it.
He said he would download and take care of the virus, and I needed the program for future security. As he was doing this he would say things like "...and it comes with unlimited tech support" "...and it catches early scammers" etc, etc.
somewhere in there he told me it was costing me $249.99. I said ok, as I believed what he said that I needed it. Also told him my new PC was arriving that day (March 31, 2009) and he said I could have coverage for up to 3 computers for additional $50. So I bit the bullet and took that too.
When he finished, we confirmed that the price was total $299.99. I gave him my credit card info.
later that day I called again to have the same system installed on the new PC.
Within 1 day, I noticed pop ups, saying a website wanted access to my computer. Said publisher was MIcrosoft, so I clicked allow. These kept coming and I got suspicious, so I did not allow anymore. But noticed something was wrong with new PC. Did Cyber Defender scan, said all was fine.
Following day, went for hi tech help. They gave me a one time program to scan with and stayed with me
after 1 hr, learned that I was loaded with Trojans.
I copied files for hi tech. and the one time program cleaned my system. Hi tech consulted wiht other hi tech cronies and all agreed that the trojans were coming from Cyber Defernder. We were unsuccessful in uninstalling system. Finally went to Dell and they helped me restore to Factory Condition.
Call to Cyberdender met with arrogant denials, lying about how the system cost so much (they said I bought the basic and then kept adding additional systems). End result, no refund of monies paid,
Call to bank to dispute charges revealed that 3 days after purchasing the system, Cyber Defender had charged my credit card an additional $79.95.
I am so outraged, am now in the middle of disputing the charges to my credit card, have succesfully dowloaded Avast free home edition. DO NOT BUY OR INSTALL ANY THING FROM THIS COMPANY!!!
I am an older woman on a fixed income, and apparently really gullible. I was surely scammed!

• Mo
    moss1213 Jul 14, 2016

this free download progran shows that your computer is infected this is how they get people to buy there product and they know that half of the time that there is no problem with your computeri paid 129.00 for 3 month and after they fix my computer i ran the free soft where and it fount 623 itims how is that possable i can tell you how to get you to buy there product and get your money that they know that dose not work dont buy any thing from cyber defender they wanted me to paY OVER 500.00 FOR 3 YEARS OF SERVICE WITH THEM NO THANKS I COULD PAY WAY LESS THEN THAT ...

• Gl
    glenh2nd Jul 14, 2016

Yep, another spyware scam!

• Pa
    paul ffffffffffffffffff Oct 12, 2009

This cyber defender came to me on a yahoo button and lucky for me I checked into it before anything happen. I have also notice that another scam has come to me by way of SKYPE. If you buy any type of anti virus, be sure it is a company that you can trust in. McAfee, Norton, these are just a few. Always check on line to see what you can find out about the company.