CrossmarkRetail Supervisor

C

Hello, My name is Mary Bailey, and I am filing this complaint against Debora Groves, the supervisor for Crossmark at Sam's Club in Davenport Iowa as well as Deb Wheeler.
I would like to start off by saying when I was hired for Crossmark, I was guaranteed 18-24 hours per week however, my first week was 6 hours.
Between April 21-22 I called Princess Williams, the recruiter that offered me the job, to complain about a lack of hours.
And, Shortly there after my hours did increase some weeks.

In my third week on the job, I was sent home because, I had on a long sleeve white shirt, but it did not have a collar.
A few days after I returned, the male Aaron had on a short sleeve, white polo but was not asked to leave. He was allowed to stay and work. About two weeks ago, I walked in and over heard Deborah Grove and Deb Wheeler talking. I asked Deborah Grove, what did she say?
Deborah, replied that "I was just speaking of Aaron, not the female but the male, he's my eye candy."
I just slightly giggled and left the office.

My main concern or complaint is the favoritism that Deborah Groves has established toward certain employees. And, as well as discrimination.
Some work 30 + hours. And, some work less than 18.

Within the third week, of starting the job, Deborah offered me a promotion, to earned $13.50/hr which I never received after completion of the NEHA course online. The course took me three weeks to complete.
When I told Deborah that I had completed the course and had printed my certificate online, she told me this
"right now, I really don't give a f, I am busy and I am trying to straighten up someone else's ###."
Those were her exact words.
I just exited the kitchen area, sadden at her language
Yet, and still others were doing the job that I was offered, and had not completed the course yet.

I also, am pained because of Deborah Grove, freely use of comparing races, ie.
Deborah also goes out of her way to make sure she lets me know that "I am black",
There has been two incidents, in which Deborah Groves has literally spoken, " There are four Mary's here in Dubuque Iowa, but you are the only black Mary at Crossmark".
And, as well as an incident when she implied that another employee thought that I needed a can opener, when it was actually another African American employee whom needed it.
Deborah Groves, made the statement, "don't mind her, she thought it was you that needed the can opener, because you are both black, and all blacks look alike to her."

I do not understand her point in referencing about races.
I believe she has been discriminatory towards other African Americans and myself.
I personally witnessed it with my own eyes and ears.
She has literally, verbally been abusive and degrading toward us. She speaks to us like we are kindergartens. I never witnessed her treat any other race as such.

The other people whom Deborah has mistreated as well, (3) are also willing to speak up. They were complaining about it, to me .
I however tried twice to reach Human Resource to report this matter, twice with little success.
June 16, 2016, I did receive a return call from Corie, Snoward, asking me to submit an incident report, in which I am now.
Debora Groves is very unprofessional. She and two of the "leads", literally use profanity and vulgar language on a daily basis.
Some of the words they use in the presence of the employees are: "b", "wh", and "f you".
Deborah would call some of the employees, /"air heads", "idiots", and "whacked" as well as other names.
She talked like this on a daily basis, and every day since I have been there. This is very unethical.

I have also over heard, rather walked in the kitchen and heard a male employee (Aaron)asking Deborah Groves, and Deb Wheeler, " So ladies what's the plan?"
Deb Wheeler asked Aaron, " so am I following you or riding with you?"
Deborah Grove, then proceeded to tell Deb Wheeler, that she" need to watch her big ### mouth, and what comes out of it".
I am a very serious person when it comes to my employment, and I believe that ethics should be used at all times.
There has been little to none practiced, every since I have worked at the assigned establishment.

There has been favoritism and discrimination as well as degradation, of people's character.
And, I believe it is unfair, and a horrible thing that has happened,
I even asked Princess Williams for a transfer the first week, but Princess told me that I had to be with the company for six months before, I could transfer stores.
There has been many days, that I did not even feel like getting out of bed to go to work. And, mainly because I knew what the day would be like working with Deborah Groves.

I also had a problem with a consistent schedule. I needed this so I could arrange my transportation ahead of time. However, it seemed as though Deborah Groves, just filled me in at last minutes, and as needed.
This would interfere with my transportation of getting to and from work.
I know that I have the equal opportunity to work, without being harassed or judged.
I have not been given a fair chance of this right, neither has other employees.
I hope this matter can be rectified as soon as possible, because Deborah has truly abused her authority.
My last day was June 11, 2016. I had finally had enough of Deborah Grove abuse and asked her to take me off the schedule.
I think this matter needs investigated.

Mary Bailey