Wyzant.com / They are a horrible company and I urge any who wish to tutor not to bother with these scam artists

United States Review updated:

I signed up as a tutor with WyzAnt. They are a horrible company and I urge any who wish to tutor not to bother with these scam artists and have nothing to do with them. I am a certified teacher having a teachers license in mathematics. I thought I would tutor students in Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, and other math subjects. This service is pathetic. It is a scam and should be shut down by the consumer protection agency.

No matter what student I contacted assuming they are real and exist, I got zero responses after about 40 tries. Every message is the same. The student would get back to me via their email. We are not allowed to use our own emails. No one emailed my account, not one so called student called. Mind you I am not some [censored] off the street. I AM A CERTIFIED MATHEMATICS TEACHER FULLY LICENSED BY THE STATE. I got zero responses.
This service is corrupt and is about as big as a rip off scam service as their is. I urge anyone who wants to tutor especially those who wish to tutor in math to not waste their time with this site. To my fellow mathematics teachers, this is your warning. Avoid this site and use your time for more productive pursuits.

Comments

• Xm
      Jun 22, 2011

Hello fellow tutors,

I am also a tutor with Wyzant and couldn't disagree more with the previous review. The reason no personal information is exchanged is so that Wyzant gets their fair share of finding you a student. That's all there is to it. If they find the students they want and are entitled to their finders fee. If you want to find students are your own, you are free to do that, but don't use Wyzant to find students and then try to cut them out of the process. I have found plenty of students. Sure, I wish I could get the entire 100% of my tutoring fee, but I give it up in order to get the students. I am a tutoring with other sites, as well, and that is the way it is done. Feel free to post on Craigslist, hang up flyers, pay for a yellow page ad. Or, you can pay a finders fee. End.

Jun 12, 2019

@X marks the spot It must be great for some. When things like a student asking to answer a question at the class and doing and sending the code difference is not understand this is what happens:
    Dear Gayani,

After reviewing your account, Wyzant is ending your access to its platform according to paragraphs 17 and 18(b) of the Independent Tutor Agreement. It has come to our attention that a student requested that you complete work on his or her behalf. According to our records, you agreed to complete this work and as such, we will deactivate your account effective immediately.

If you disagree with this action and wish for us to reconsider, then within 10 calendar days from this notice, you may provide Wyzant with documents or other information for review.

• Ti
      Jun 23, 2011

For my part I am very satisfied with the service that Wyzant offers and the level of the students I've contacted and tutored. But then - my expertise is in English and writing. Sounds like sour grapes to me...there was no definitive substance to the complaint - just accusations.

• Ti
      Jun 23, 2011

I disagree with the complaint. It sounds like someone is venting and making a complaint with not much substance. I have been a tutor for almost 8 months and have had no problems with the company nor with students or potential students. I guess its all in the approach and what you expect.

• Ir
      Jul 24, 2011

I am a certified teacher with a state's credentials and an advanced degree. Wyzant was very arrogant in their communication with me. They were like a police asking for all private information. Then they cut me very rudely out of their lists because I did not bring them any income. They were unpleasant. I had a feeling I touched a powerful greedy animal.
    It is a money making machine for its administrators, who are polite when they think they can make an income from you, and rude when they think you are no value for them.
    Good luck to all tutors who have jobs from them, and my support and sorry for those certified teachers who were treated badly by them like I was.

Jun 12, 2019

@Irina Borschenko Pls. see this when the student asked me to do the assignment and send rather than do it at class. The response was this and later on they sent a false email saying the account closed after reviewing the information.

Dear Gayani,

• Li
      Aug 09, 2011

I have been working with WyzAnt for the past couple of months now, and love it. They pay me on time, and I have gained great student connections in the process. I suggest that whoever posted the original complaint should work on improving their public profile to gain better marketability. The students are legit - they just don't feel like hiring you, Mr./Ms. "Certified Mathematics Teacher".

• Pa
      Oct 20, 2011

This company is not a scam. I have found four wonderful students through it, and I am always paid on time. The only bad thing about it is that they take 40% of what I make, so I have to charge high fees just to get what I would normally charge much less for. After 20 hours working for them, you get 65% of what you charge, and after 50 hours you get to keep 70%, so in time this company does give you more money

• Re
      Oct 20, 2011

I have been on wyzant since the beginning of the year and absolutely love it. They have more incoming students any other site I have ever used. They do take out a percentage from your earnings but since they do not ask for any up front fees I think it is better than other sites that do. When you first sign up they ask for detailed background experience so they can make sure you legitimate. Also they recommend that you fill out information about subjects you want to tutor that are not general or not major subjects such as in K to 6th grades in general or Flute. Since they test on other subjects they want as much detail on your background with these subjects so that they and any potential students know that you are not only qualified but also have experience. I have noticed that since there are several other tutors in my area that if I don't message a student right away I don't hear back. Many of my students have mentioned that they heard from many tutors when they first inquired and they went with the first one that contacted them. Any problems associated with this site is probably someone who either did not have enough experience, could not write it in a way that promotes their abilities or did not try hard enough to contact potential students in a reasonable amount of time.

Nov 07, 2011

My beef with Wyzant is simply that their fees are too high. They do provide an advertising service, and compensation is warranted. But they want to collect almost half of my income, in perpetuity. That's more than the IRS. This is greed, and it is abusive towards a vulnerable service sector (educators). I do encourage everyone to make full use of Craig's List and other services.

Nov 15, 2011

I am new to Wyzant. I am also a credentialed math teacher. It is annoying to me that they require tests in order to become certified to be able to "submit a lesson" and get paid, especially when I provided proof of my credential, AND even more especially, after they allowed me to go tutor one of their students. Now, I can't get paid until I take their silly time wasting tests. I even wrote to them to ask about this issue. They just replied with what appears to be a "form letter". It's probably automated... I bet no one even read my request. I also think that their cut is far too much. 40% is not a finders fee. If they provided full time work, and benefits, then I could see taking that deep a %, but not for the occasional referral. Either there are a lot of tutors out there who highly value not having to organize their billing and payments, or there are enough tutors who use Wyzant just to fill in here and there when they have openings in their schedules. Other than find clients, that's really all they help with is billing and payment.

• Dp
      Apr 08, 2018

@A_nonymous While they charge 40% at first, it eventually goes down to 25% once you have 200 hours in. They developed the website, mobile app and do all of the advertising, among other expenses to keep them running. It would cost me a ton to do the same. I've been working with Wyzant for about a year now and 90% of my students find me. I priced myself high enough to be worth it and low enough to put me in more searches. They pay on time and I never have a problem. I'm very happy. Give it another chance.

• Vm
      Nov 17, 2011

I do find it annoying that the jobs list on WyzAnt doesn't changed as frequently as I think it should, and I am limited to 5 student email contacts within a 24 hour period. Sometimes a bunch of jobs get posted that I am eager to help with, and I don't like having my hands tied. It feels like I am paying a considerable commission to WyzAnt for its ability to connect me to students, and then it ties my hands. Having said that, I have had several good students come from WyzAnt.
    I am also tutoring through ClubZ, which is structured very similarly, except that they choose the rates and pick the students. The WyzAnt process seems more automated so the tutors are more independent. WyzAnt staff does respond quickly and clearly to any of my questions, and not with "form letters" unless it was a common question. I am also tutoring through Huntington Learning Center doing ACT prep, among other things. Even though I had taken the ACT about 3 years ago and scored in the 99th percentile, I had to do a take-home ACT to prove that I know the material. I think it is not unreasonable in the least to have a set of tests before you enter into a new tutoring company. I have to call A_nonymous on that. Taking a ten question test to show you know algebra 1 is a stupid thing to complain about, especially compared to taking the whole several hour ACT with the intent of tutoring math.
    In response to the original post by Liderman: How long did you stick it out with WyzAnt? Many of the students who send in inquiries are only somewhat serious about contacting you. They are probably looking at many different tutoring companies, and within WyzAnt there are many different tutors to choose from. They will most likely go with a) the first one who contacts them, b) the cheapest one they can find, or c) decide they don't need to pay for a tutor after all because they'll just figure it out on their own. Most student will not send rejection emails to everyone they don't go with. I have sent out many emails that have gotten no response, but that is due to the students not the company. I move on and have been successful with other students through WyzAnt.

Nov 17, 2011

V_MacBrian. Thanks so much for telling me that the test is only 10 questions! They made it sound like it was extensive. I wouldn't have complained if I'd already taken it, and found that it was short. I really appreciate your mentioning that the tests are short. I can fit that in easily, so now I can go ahead and take all of the tests, and start submitting for the tutoring I already did!

• Gr
      Nov 28, 2011

I also disagree with the complaint. I have worked for Wyzant for over a year now and have been very pleased with the company. I have had steady clients for quite some time now and I credit Wyzant for helping me to find these great students. It took about a month for me to figure out the best way to market myself but it was worth the effort.
    Wyzant isn't trying to interrogate you, they're following a proven procedure that helps to protect you and the students you will be seeing. I appreciate that I have never had a late payment from them, they promptly answer my inquiries, and they have always been polite with me.
    Wyzant can't force students to contact you. Had you changed your communication style with your potential clients or possibly your introduction on your profile page, you most likely would have seen different results.

• Mi
      Feb 02, 2012
    Best Best Advice

Wyzant is a scam. They take too much from my paycheck!

• Tu
      Feb 23, 2012

I understand your complaint. It's easy to believe you're getting access to people needing tutors, but it's harder to realize that you are only getting access to a "marketplace" where potential students visit and tutors have take actions to compete with other tutors to get the prospective students to sign up. In my category of graphic arts I get a chance to land a student about once a week. Currently I land about 30% of the students I reach out to, but this didn't happen over night. I had to lower my original price per hour. I had to go online everyday and send an email as soon as a prospective student appeared on the list. I had be a marketer and write a "selling" profile for prospective students to see I was eager to "work for them" and that I had "assets that set me apart from other tutors." I have a Masters and a California State Vocational Instructor's license and have written a leading college textbook in advertising, but think about it, someone seeking a tutor is under pressure and feeling fear - all the degrees in the world won't get them over their anxiety. They need a friend who is politely knowledgeable, not a pompous bragger. One day my account disappeared from their system and I got an email saying I had been discontinued. What a hit! I thought I was doing well! I called their office and as it turns out their computer program decided I wasn't doing something correctly and that it decided my sales were too low (yes, the computer wants you to make sales or else you're not much assistance to anyone). But I called and asked what was happening and the next day I got a nice email back explaining what the computer had done and that upon review the problem shouldn't have happened and a few hours later all was reinstated. So I can see why the original complainer could be angry, but it may be more of a reflection of that person's belief that they are a good tutor without any consideration that the computer and the prospective students don't like the negative vibes that they are getting. All I can say to those who complain is that: Wyzant is not a scam (that's where you pay for something and don't get the product or service). Wyzant doesn't ask for money up front, it only takes a piece of what you earn - of course, if you don't earn anything after they offer a free pathway to reach students, then the blame only falls on you.

• Ok
      Apr 10, 2012

They filter the emails so it is difficult to get in touch with tutors.

• Ny
      Jun 19, 2012

After not receiving 2 checks that were supposedly sent to me at my NYC business address (never had problems getting other mail), they shut down my tutoring account on the same day that I was supposed to see a student who really needed my help. The student's info was contained in the account so I could not contact them. I NEVER received payments and they SCREWED the student. TERRIBLE SERVICE!!!

Jun 12, 2019

@NYC Reviews Talk about this.
    Student asked to do an assignment and send the answer rather than the usual way of answering the assignment and completing during class.

Next step: Dear Gayani,

• Ka
      Jul 02, 2012

I have worked with WyzAnt for about six months to a year. In that time I have completed over 100 hours of tutoring. I have had many clients who contacted me who never filled out their payment information. However, of those I have tutored all of these have been great students to work with. I like the safety of Wyzant's screeening process. I like the direct deposit system through I always faithfully get paid. If I tried to function on my own without Wyzant I would have to do a lot expensive advertising and I would have risk of potentially not getting paid. I appreciate the safety of tutoring through WyzAnt. I do not see WyzAnt as a scam at all but a professional tutoring network. I have gotten all my business through Wyzant. And I have even had repeat business. I have made over 2, 000 of extra income with WyzAnt. This money that I would not have had without their website. I highly recommend them.

• Da
      Jul 12, 2012

I have worked with wyzant for a year now as a part-time tutor as well. I am a Massachusetts certified 8-12 math and physics teacher and have had no problem getting perspective clients for them. They always have paid me without a problem via direct deposit and I have made about 130 hours of tutoring for them during my first year. I think that people who say they are a scam are either unfortunately not in a very marketable geographic area for tutoring (which is definitely sometimes the case) or they have had some problems with promoting themselves as tutors as one needs to do. Wyzant is merely a website that is an aid to allow a tutor's job to be easier. It cuts out the middle man that one needs in taking care of the administrative red tape so that the tutor can do what he's paid to do without wasting time with the other stuff. I tutored math for many years on my own and appreciate not having to worry about keeping track of records in detail come tax time etc. and also appreciate the way it helps me promote myself as a tutor...and essentially leaves me to teach math and science one on one with people to the best of my ability. I strongly disagree with anyone who says there is a scam related to this service which has been such a help and blessing to me.

• Ki
      Aug 01, 2012

I've worked with Wyzant for three months and so far have had a good experience. I do think that the initial percentage of pay that they take is very high; however, I've heard that tutoring centers take an even higher percentage of the hourly rate. Like most service jobs, it's up to the tutor to sell their services. I've received all payments so far and find that the site is easy to use. I like the fact that they give me alerts of emails on my personal email which I tend to check more often than the Wyzant site. I'm sorry that the math teacher did not get any jobs, but perhaps it has something to do with how/what they wrote in response to interest from potential clients. It's hard to come up with cheery greetings; maybe he/she needs to have someone help with standard marketing responses. It's frustrating to bang your head on a closed door - I wish that person all the best but also think a good, hard look at what they've been doing so far to get the jobs is warranted.

Aug 13, 2012

I agree 100% with fellow commentators that WyzAnt are scam artists. I am also a NYS certified teacher and an experienced tutor and I responsibly state that WyzAnt is a big time scam and totally unprofessional website. I would say they are the worst. An advice to parents of students and students who need tutoring: stay away from WyzAnt and other similar crooks. I was assigned to them, then waiting, and waiting, and I continued receiving a lot of maessages from parents and students who wanted to start lessons immediately. I am a very punctual person and I show my respect to parents and students by always responding quickly and timely. WyzAnt was ignoring them and did not allow me to have the least personal contact with them via my e-mail or my phone number. I put my phone number in my reply to their messages in the WyzAnt website and WyzAnt deleted them. Then, I replied to the prospective students giving them my website. Then, WyzAnt deactivated my account. It seems that they just steal students' money and manipulate tutors. The worst and most stupid thing I did by signing to their ridiculous website was to give them my social security number as they said their accountant may need it so they can give me a W-2 for my taxes. If they try to steal money for me or do any kind of identity theft, I will definitely sue them. However, one thing is for sure: the best solution is prevention. DON"T EVEN BOTHER TO DEAL WITH THOSE CROOKS!!! INTERNET IS NOT SAFE!!!

Aug 13, 2012

Wyz ANt has people that they pay them to go and write nice comments about them. It's part of the job that all scamers do. I also find it quite fascist that one cannot take their subject test more than once. Their tests are ridiculous, 10-20 questions only, some of them too easy, others too hard, obviously designed and written by somehow who has no clue about test design and the subject matter of the test. Even state license exams can be taken more than once. Who the hell are they and they dare to exam only once without giving you a second chance?

• Ra
      Aug 30, 2012

I have been with Wyzant now over 2 years, and have made thousands of dollars, Most students I tutor are from them and they have been great, I would not of found them without this service. I do tutor independently too but Wyzant has been a great contact source. I think people who complain about the service may have all this credentials but maybe they too are people that students just don't like to be with. Personality has a lot to do with success in tutoring, You have to have reputation and referral if students don't say good things about you no mater how well you know the subject you are not a good tutor. I have done very little advertising but remain very busy
    Wyzant got me started I appreciate them a lot.

• Re
      Sep 08, 2012

I'm a parent whose two children are being homeschooled. I have used Wyzant to find teachers and have had excellent service. As I look through the list of tutors, I eliminate "one subject" teachers and look for those that match elementary k - 6. It narrows the files but then I narrow it further because I eliminate those with full-time jobs who tutor on the side as I am offering a full time job. Because of all the hours I am paying, I cannot pay some of the higher end fees. Of course I see about the back-ground check. I usually contact 5 tutors and have them come to my home, meet my children and discuss the curriculum. Often one or two more contact me. I try to contact them all, thanking them for replying, as not all of them do, and interview as many as I can. Then my husband and I go through them one by one and make a decision. All the interviewees(?) are informed of our decision and I do keep them on file, so that I can contact them if the first choice doesn't work out. I know it is a pain to pay the fee but I feel much more comfortable with this method of hiring. We keep an account running with Wyzant which is nice to be able to see and keep track, and my husband who travels often appreciates being able to go to the website to see how his children did in school that day. I don't know if it matters but we live in Texas.

• Jl
      Sep 08, 2012

he works with Jonatas Santos and Maria das Gracas Rocha, they are thief

• Bu
      Sep 18, 2012

I have received several requests from students and others didn't reply back to the jobs for which I applied. I just started with WyzAnt a month ago and am tutoring thru their service. I think that because the student gets to choose which tutor they contact is the reason that some tutors may not have been contacted. If you have a photo, it may help or hinder you being chosen; you just never know. I agree, the tests they make you take to get certified are a bit ridiculous. I don't think they test your true skills in the subject matter. I have yet to get paid, so I don't know if they're a scam artist or not; sure hope not. But if I don't get paid, I'll tell my students NOT to PAY anything else.

• Ki
      Nov 20, 2012

I've tutored with Wyzant for about 6 months now and its been a lifesaver for me. I'm a trained Scientist with multiple advanced degrees in the Sciences and have had NO PROBLEM finding clients or getting paid for my services. I'm in a good market (DMV) which certainly helps as does my qualifications and quite frankly, my personality helps a lot too! Everyone isn't cut out to teach/tutor others and having certifications and an education doesn't make you "qualified" either.

Jan 09, 2013

You should give YOUGETSMARTER.COM a try. They are offering a free sign-up for 60 days. You get your own website, online booking calendar, payment options, and a virtual classroom. You set your own rate and hours and get to tutor from your home. Your tutoring possibilities just expanded nationwide. No credit card required to get started and after 60 days if you like the services it is only $25 a month. Plus you get to keep 90% of your fees.

• Ds
      May 04, 2013

I have been tutoring through Wyzant for a year. I tutor only chemistry and at certain times during the school year have more requests than I can handle. I agree that 40% is a hefty chunk for them to take in the beginning, but I moved up to the 70% take home pretty quickly. They always pay on time and the requests they make of their tutors (qualifying test, lesson plans submitted) are not unreasonable. They require no money from you up front, so I don't understand people complaining that it is a scam. They only make money if you make money If you sign up and get no student contacts, you've lost nothing. While the 40% cut may be a rip off, it is not a scam. But again, the longer you stay with them, the higher % you receive. I've been satisfied.

• Ka
      Oct 23, 2013

Tried to find an Econ Tutor in the San Diego area. I contacted 10 on the list and 4 got back to me. The company BOMBARDED me with emails they "intercepted" between me and a couple of the tutors. Never got effective responses and was thankful I found Universitytutor.com!!! I found someone to help me out before my test!

I did send a follow up email telling Wyzant I would review them and let everyone know. They continued to insinuate, email after email, that I was defrauding them. I have NO INTENTION of putting money up front prior to at least talking with someone on the phone. Thank you for wasting a day I will NEVER get back!!

STAY AWAY!

• Be
      Nov 21, 2013

I don't get what the scam is? Isn't a scam when someone takes something from you? Yes they charge a % for their service, but only if you are working. So if you aren't working, they aren't getting anything from you. The longer you work for them, the less they take. It is pretty clear what you are getting into. I have tutored through them for a year. I have always had at least two students at all times. I could have more, I just don't have time. I haven't gotten many students by "applying for tutor spots" but I have gotten several students who sought me out. Not a scam, just a for profit company.

• Ks
      Dec 01, 2013

I -- at least -- appreciate the customer support of WyzAnt. It was quick and they politely responded to my inquiry concerning my rejection email. As a business, I am disappointed with the workflow for the Tutor process. I passed multiple tests with no issue. I formatted my free response with the same structure as WyzAnt's. I *paid* for a background check and passed. I have wasted not only time and energy but also money on WyzAnt. Then my rejection email from WyzAnt PRIDES itself on kind, psychological "stroking" words but ultimately remains passive by not providing specific information.

As a suggestion for WyzAnt's workflow, I believe that a tutor should AT LEAST pass the 'mysterious' WyzAnt free response 'exam' before they have the opportunity to go about the business of paying for a background check. I am not asking for money back, although it does feels like I have been slapped in the face by a company while they are taking money from my pocket. It is fine, you live and learn and I also expect little from a company where the nature of the management demonstrates a poor ethical structure by not providing essential information. Within my rejection email a statistic was given stating that only 30% of tutors make the cut which is irrelevant information when discussing a rejection email. I can take the opinion of the assessor of my profile. I am a graduate student who has been taking the criticism of professionals, and any tutor worth their cognitive and emotional intelligence can as well.

• Ev
      Jan 22, 2014

I could not disagree more with the filed complaint. I have been a tutor for Wyz Ant on several subjects now for over 3 years. I, like many tutors, apply for jobs as they come up based on subject matter and distance and I have gotten some and not others.
    Many of the potential students that make an inquiry and have no payment information
    oftentimes never go ahead and pay to get tutoring, more like a wish-list. My tutoring fees are higher than some others because of my credentials, so I am sure that has an
    impact on my results but I am not willing to lower my fees to match others since I have a skill set that requires such. However, I consistently apply for jobs and get some and not others, such is competition. The tests to get certified were not that intricate but the proof is in the pudding, if you don"t know what you are doing, you will fail in your tutoring and will not get good reviews but complaints from students. So even if you pass the tests, you still need to know what your subject matter to be successful with your tutoring, to help them succeed and to retain your students.
    This tutoring service sends my checks directly to my bank account and have never been late. They are the most outstanding honorable company and have always been professional when I call them. I do not have any complaints and would recommend them 100%,

• St
      May 23, 2014

As a potential user of Wyzant, I was blocked from speaking with a potential tutor because I unknowingly included
    my phone number in an email. I was in no way trying to circumvent their system it was that our emails were
    getting so lengthy I thought phone communicaton would be preferable. NOT THERE IS NO WAY I WILL USE
    THIS CRAPPY COMPANY. THEY MADE ME FEEL LIKE A CRIMINAL, WHICH I AM NOT. THEY NEED TO MAKE IT
    COMPLETELY CLEAR TO POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS NOT TO INCLUDE PHONE NUMBERS. THEY LOST
    A CLIENT AND A TEACHER A POTENTIA;L JOB. IDIOTS!!!

Jul 10, 2014

I have worked for WyzAnt for over five years.
    And, I couldn't disagree more with all of the negative comments made here.
    WyzAnt is an excellent company to work for and I have tutored students continually since joining this fine company.
    I have always had assistance from the WyzAnt support staff on the few occasions when it was needed. And, ALL of my interactions with my students have been positive and most productive. I love WyzAnt and I am thoroughly grateful for the wonderful, ongoing professional relationship that I have had.
    Should anyone think that this is posted by a WyzAnt staff member, it most definitely is not. Nor am I being paid to write this. I am doing this simply to share my most appreciated experience with this company in a fair and balanced way.
    I can't provide my full name (company policy) but on the WyzAnt website I am identified as MALONE S., an Art Instructor located in the DFW area (76262) of Texas. Check me out, if you wish. Thank you again WyzAnt!

• Rr
      Oct 06, 2014

I couldn't disagree with these complaints more. I am a mother of a student in Texas. We found our tutor on Wyzant, and were very happy with him. He was very well qualified, was always very prompt, and seemed happy with the connection, so I imagine he got paid. My child received good tutoring services. I am seeking their services to find another tutor this year, and have recommended this service to other mothers, who have also used Wyzant and have also been happy with services received.

• Jj
      Oct 15, 2014

I have applied for over 400 hundred jobs and have gotten 1. I believe this is a scam website but they are very clever about it. They are giving preference to some tutors over others. It is controlled by them and they have come and said that some tutors are more visible than others. It is all about money for them. The one job I got was because they couldn't find another tutor that could teach that college level subject. I think that it is poor behavior to get the hopes up of tutors that desperately need work to survive and then put them through the mill and deliver nothing. My opinion is that it is a scam for tutors but you can decide for yourself if this behavior is ethical.

• Ca
      Oct 24, 2014

Wyzant has helped me find some tutoring students. I can't deny that. What gets to me, and this happened just now, was that a client had removed their payment information after the lesson. I expect that kind of crud behavior on eBay but Wyzant? I'll update on how they protect their tutors after the situation clears up. The fact that this happened in the first place makes me reluctant to use Wyzant only because the payment policy allows people to pull this kind of crap. I'm fine with the finders fee, but if their policies allow people to get away without paying...as much as I love tutoring, I'm not at a point in my life where I can tutor for free.

• Tu
      Nov 21, 2014

I am a certified elementary school teacher, and Wyzant has connected me with the most students so far. I believe that man must be charging way too much. People can't afford $50-70 per hour. The company is professional, requires proof that you can teach the subjects and even has some tests you need to pass. The send professional email reminders to parents and teachers of upcoming lessons, and you can call them anytime and get a PERSON on the phone to answer your questions. I love Wyzant.

Nov 22, 2014

My experience as a Wyzant tutor is what is advertised. They have connected me with students, and they have taken their advertised percentage, and they have paid me electronically on the time scale they indicated. Sure, there are basic features missing and undue communication constraints, but their services are consistent with what they state as their services.

• De
      Feb 05, 2015

I have worked with WyzAnt and have no complaints. It doesn't bother me that despite have a Master's in Teaching English to Others I had to take other tests. I just take them, no biggie. I get students and like their screen process. If you've ever worked with a company that doesn't do it well, you know what it's like to lose payment. Payment has been fast and the records are accurate - which is also part of the service we pay for out of our tuition fees besides finding students. I like how this company works plain and simple.