Western Union / banned from using service

1 12500 East Belford Ave.Englewood, CO, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-720-332-1000

After having made transfers internationally using Western Union for three and a half years with absolutely no problems whatsoever, with an average of three to four transfers per month, I attempted to make another online transfer and the website told me to call a representative. After doing so, I was informed by the representative that I am no longer permitted to use their service now or in the future. I seek an explanation from the representative but he says he cannot say and for me to write to an address but that it will take months for a reply if I get one at all. The rep claims there is a very good reason for the permanent denial of service but refused to say what that reason was.

This is unbelievable. It is unfair business practice. It is tantamount to accusing someone of something and not specifying for what they are accused. Western Union has benefited from my business for the past three and a half years, and now they refuse to even answer why they permanently bar me from using their service? They are an irresponsible company. They show no consideration for their customers. They claim to have corporate integrity as specified on their website that they "do business each day with an absolute commitment to ethics, honesty and credibility", and that their "employees and Agents foster trust, so [their] consumers are confident their transactions are fast and reliable."

This is false.

Western Union has prevented someone from supporting their loves ones. They have made them encounter hardship. No food, no water, no electricity. And for what reason? What justification?

Western Union offers none, and Western Union offers no means for conflict resolution, so that any misunderstanding may be clarified. This is irresponsible.

Western Union is an irresponsible company because it acts without consideration for its customers. Western Union places corporate interests above those of serving the needs of its customers. If Western Union is going to impose bans on customers, then as a company it is ethically and morally obligated to identify the reason, justify the reason, and provide evidence to substantiate the reason, otherwise it is arbitrary. If it cannot do those things, it acts without integrity, without consideration, and with a blatant disregard for the welfare of its customers and their loved ones.

I strongly discourage anyone from using Western Union. Even after three and a half years of using their service without any problems, they will for reasons they will not disclose block, ban, or otherwise bar you from using their service as it so interests them. Based on my personal experience, they conduct themselves with unfair business practices and should be avoided. There are other money transfer services that act with significantly more integrity, lower fees and better exchange rates than Western Union.

Comments

• Un
      24th of Dec, 2013

I was banned because I was a part of a class action lawsuit against Western Union that they lost. Soon after the ruling I was banned from using Western Union to send or receive money. Is this legal? It seems like revenge to me.

• Sm
      17th of Mar, 2014

Our company has had every employee banned now and NEVER have we been provided a single reason for any of our people being banned. Moneygram is way better but has a smaller reach. The unfair business practices and extremely poor customer service provided to business accepting this WU payments mean you can't count on this business and if you use them make sure you get your money before they ban you don't leave it with them and collect it later!

• Ba
      14th of Dec, 2014

I certainly agree with TSRaven25 as I have experienced the same unreasonable actions from Western Union after sending money to my relatives for the past 5 years now...there should be a way to galvanize the population to fight back against Western Union whether be a Class Action suit or department of Professional regulations that governs their license. I often wonder if upper management is aware of their practice or is this a cavalier action by their security department?..there needs to me a movement to expose this practice because I am sure thousands of customers have been victims of this which was an intent to stop radical groups from funding their operations and money laundering and its the honest customers who are targeted in the effort for their security department I believe to justify their employment...this is really total injustice indeed!

• Ki
      23rd of Jan, 2015

I was banned from sending or receiving money from western union.the money I send is from my job and is for my wifes family in the phillipines.they depend on our financial help for food.i or my family have done absolutely nothing wrong.i have been using western union for years and have sent many thousands of dollars through this company.i totally agree with these post here on this web site.i think its disgusting what they do to people, also im very concerned that they put my name in a bad lite with my government.in this day and age who knows what will happen when homeland security looks at people who are banned from using western union.i intend on filing a complaint with nj dept.of banking, and also seeking an attorney to file a law suit against western union.if anybody has any information please help

• Gt
      31st of Aug, 2015

I also have just run into the same situation with Western Union. After 4 years of sending money to my family overseas without any issues while we are mitigating through immigration issues, I was just told that I could no longer use Western Union. The real change in WU activity recently was due to my wife's hospitalization and they cut us off (thankfully just after she got out). I'm still trying to follow up. But they seem unwilling to give me any reason for the decision. Right now I'm livid about this. The only good thing about this post is that it seems I'm clearly not alone with this situation. It is morally and ethically irresponsible the way they handle things of this nature. When they do this, there is the real potential that people can get seriously hurt. I'm with Bagawire, something really needs to be done about this ridiculous no explanation banning. We have done nothing wrong yet are being treated like criminals and the fall out can have deeper effects on reputation.

• Me
      28th of Nov, 2015

Well it seems there must be a list that is available to ALL online money transfer services. My problem began with WU, same story as the rest in this post, I used them for 10 years, then out of the blue I am banned forever. No explanations, they just said they have to follow banking rules. I was finally given an "interview" it was actually an interrogation. I was asked about every person I sent money too, why I sent, how I was related to them, when was the last time I actually saw them in person, where my money comes from, , why I send so much, why I would send to my step children and not to my wife, and so on and so on. It was grueling and in the end I was told they did not like my answers, BAM! You are banned forever. Ok, , I can live with being banned from WU. I went to another online transfer service, XOOM, they allowed me to send 3 transfers then BAM! We are sorry to inform you that your account has been closed and you can't use our service again, , it is not open for discussion. WOW, Really? I tried sending them documents to prove who I am, , who my family is, , where I work, but no use, , so I went to Remit Home, , Same song and dance, , , so it appears there is some sort of money transfer blacklist. I did finally find a company that has so far allowed me to send, but not without delaying my send until they do some further checking, , , I am afraid they also will cut me off as this is what happened with XOOM and Remit Home. I feel this is can't possibly be legal, , to accuse you of something and not even tell you what rule they think you have broken, It is the same as being accused of a crime and not knowing what crime or having any way to defend yourself. I too am looking for an attorney to help me find out more of what is happened. I too have family in the Philippines that rely solely on me for all of their support, Food, Water, Power, school. I have no other way to get them money. I know the problem can't be with me as I work for a company supporting the US military and I have a clearance, , and I was allowed during all of this to open a new bank account with Navy Federal Credit Union. So it is not a banking blacklist. I don't know what list it is, I continue to search the internet.

5th of Jul, 2016

I have a similar situation with Western Union in Trinidad being banned because I was trying to send money to a friend stuck in Malaysia. They refund the transact twice and had the nerve to tell me I'm banned. I got a number to call that they claim is toll free only to be told I have to paytwo dollars per minute. Come on western Union be more professional

• Ok
      3rd of Jul, 2017

Dear

I have the same experience with Wester Union,
    I'm preparing take action on Facebook and Publish the stories of people who like you and me

I would like to ask for your permission to Publish your story on Wester Union facbook page, twitter and other social media,

Maybe i can change something, maybe i can save some people money..

I do not know..

But I want to try

Thanks

Jacek

• Mi
      6th of Aug, 2017

I used Westrrn Union for 2 years They just oit of the blue said you cant send money First they interviewed me like i was on the first 48 like they put me under hot lamp I answered there questions then they told me to screw Can i have all the money back you took for my business I hope someone or myself stands up against this Then 24 hours later Money gram barred me if I was doing anything illegal i sure in hell wouldnt have answered there stupid questions you offer a service perform the servoce or tell us why we are dismissed you pieces of [censor]

• Le
      16th of Nov, 2017

Ya westernunion an money gram banned me for purchasing perfectly legal product from indonesia for my small business. I used a friend for a few transfers after then wwnt entirely to bitcoin an wont go back. Never liked wu rude clerks anyway.

• Kr
      5th of Dec, 2017

I was amazed to search the internet and find so many other people that have experienced the same encounter with wu as I did. After years of using the service to send money to friends all over the world, I was banned from western union for life. I even went through the lengthy process of explaining several transactions in writing hoping to have the decision reversed.

I am left to feel that somehow I have violated some law, or have been involved in some sort of illegal activity which I offered repeatedly to certify that I was not. As with everyone else, I was never given the exact reason for being banned. I even asked for guidelines to follow that would satisfy their inspection to no avail.

The ultimate insult is that I still receive emails from western union inviting me to use their services, and even tell me that I have accumulated credits towards my next transaction. If someone should organize an effort to create a legal front in some sort of actionable suit against western union for this practice, please post here and I will be happy to join in.

• Mm
      2nd of Jan, 2018

Wow! Amazing. I just had my experience today hence I decided to come online to see what's going on. I am in Jamaica when my mom and sisters in the USA. Of course they send me funds quite regularly as needed. Yesterday when mom sent a friend won she usually asks to send the funds for her she was not allowed to send it. So my sister took it and completed the transaction. Lo and behold when I went to pick it up today after the long wait in the line went through the entire procedures with the agent and was about to sigh I got the shocker ;I have been permanently banned. I just stood their lost and possibly embarrassed. What nasty irresponsible company destroying the dignify of upright citizens. Something needs to be done. This is ridiculous.

• Ve
      10th of Feb, 2018

I thought i was the only one, today i got the exact same response. I have been using them for over a year, not once have i had an issue..but it started today. I called customer service, first guy sounded a like robot. I asked to be speak with someone that could help me, was transferred. The rep was completely useless all he told me is you have been restricted, asked why? i have been using for over a year. After i kept asking for a reason, guy hangs up on me. I called again, no really answers ..told me to email and that i would get a response in 5-7 business days.
    Customer service is horrible, everyone there sounds like they dont want to be there...it was awful.

• Tu
      16th of Feb, 2018

I used Western Union to transfer money to my family in Tanzania. I am a Finnish citizen and I was sending money from Finland to Tanzania. After two years of money transfers WU blocked me to use any service WU provides. WU did not give me any explanation why I'm banned. I think WU is one of the worst financial operators in the world and it seems like they can do what ever they want to do. Luckily normal online banking has developed so much that there's no need for WU services in the future anymore.

I feel bad for those people that do not have a normal bank account and they are forced to use expensive WU services. Someone somewhere with enough authority should look into WU operations put an end to the arbitrary way of doing business and treating people.

• Ga
      27th of Apr, 2018

I am shocked to read so many similar stories of abuse, bullying, stereotyping, profiling and discrimination of innocent customers by Western Union. I am surprised that Western Union is allowed to perpetuate these injustices without consequences. Lets us unite and fight back.

Thank you for reading my story. I am appealing for your support to challenge institutional stereotyping, racial prejudice and discrimination of customers by Western Union. As a victim, I am kindly appealing to you for solidarity, financial and/or moral support to raise legal fees to challenge these injustices in court. You can donate, or send a message of support and solidarity anonymously if you so wish. https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/unite-against-westernunion

Together we can make a difference. I never thought it could happen to me. But I was wrong. From the stories I have read on this forum Western Union targets and destroys people's lives without any accountability. Today its me, and tomorrow it could be you, your loved ones, or your family. Someone has to make a stand. In my opinion, Western Union flouts customers' rights and then wields its financial muscle and influence to bully and cower customers into silence with impunity. Let us put a stop to these injustices by making a united stand.

I have been a loyal customer of Western Union for almost two decades, using their services to remit funds to support less privileged members of the community in Africa. But it all changed when Western Union, without notice, or explanation, inexplicably, and arbitrarily suspended my account and blacklisted me from using their services.

When I challenged Western Union, they were evasive and disingenuous, citing cleverly crafted sections of the terms and conditions and vague compliance requirements as a diversionary tactic to hide discriminatory practices. Since then I have been fighting to have the decision rescinded without success. Worryingly Western Union routinely targets and blacklists 'certain' customers without due process as evidenced by complaints on social media from disgruntled customers.

I have since launched legal proceedings against Western Union and their powerful solicitors are throwing everything at me and threatening to ruin me. However I am determined to fight and raise awareness of these injustices.

Given the above, I am therefore appealing for your moral and financial support to raise legal fees to fight these injustices in court. I look forward to your support.

Please visit my page. https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/unite-against-westernunion

10th of May, 2018

seems its blocking season with WU. funny thing is i used to be an agent for them many years ago so its really ironic. three transactions were refunded for me, on while my child was in the hospital and her father in Canada was trying to assist me with funds. After numerous calls to the CC who has no clue and serious communication issues my sender was told that i had to "validate" myself via an email to their Global Consumer Reinstatements or compliance department. This was a series of back and forth as their questions were sender focused and wanted information on how i was funding transactions but as a receiver i kept explaining that i was not funding any transactions.
    This went on from April 12th 2018 and no resolve or response to my queries and completed form i sent another email yesterday May 9th asking what was the status only to get a response today May 10th 2018 that i was banned from sending and receiving WU transaction.
    No reasons just an email invoking their rights to refuse service to me. Awesome company!
    thank God that options exists although it leaves a bitter taste to have a mark against my name based on a pencil pushes whim. Now i will encourage everyone to use every other option available to send money to their families instead of Western Union. they forgot that that the same customers that made them are the same customers that can break them.

• El
      15th of Jun, 2018

Now I'm joining the "banned for life" club. Can't send to my fiance ... no explanation given.

• Ed
      4th of Aug, 2018

I am too in the same boat! If someone finally decides to do a class action suit or something I will like to join. After using them since 2012 and sending multiple of transactions a month they decide to ban me. I do send money to different people but all my relatives in the same town. I explain all that to them. They are in Mexico and the life down there is no where near here in the U.S. since I’ve been in there shoes I like to help them out as much as I can. Because I know of poverty. I was fine being banned from westernunion but now money gram bans me because of westernunion. So pissed off

• Ra
      10th of Aug, 2018

Hello!
    My sister was also banned from receiving and sending money thru WU for lifetime, just today in the Philippines, as per call from a WU representative -US based. She is receiving / sending money for years. WU didn’t provide any clear reason for blocking her to do transactions. WU should be given sanctions with this regard, since it is very unethical to be banned without any clear reason.

• Mp
      16th of Aug, 2018

Seems like this is a growing trend...Add one more to the list...Firstly if you are banned then they hold information about you. Send them a email asking to disclose all information held by them about you (normally named "subject access". They cannot charge a fee for this. Once you receive this (they have 1 month to respond) you can then ask for all your personal data to be deleted and your account to be deleted. (Articles 12, 17 and 23 and Recitals (65) and (66) of the GDPR). Here is a great article...

The general principle is that a company must have a good reason to have your details on file, and must delete them if that reason no longer applies. (you deleted your account with WU) If they do have a good reason, though, then you don't have an automatic right to demand they delete your records. It depends on the circumstances.

To give an obvious example, if you default on a big loan, then the bank will record that information in your file. You can't demand that your file be deleted to give you a perfect credit score and allow you to take out another loan! (dont really think this applies to WU but is a good example to go by)

You have the right to ask to see what details they hold about you (though they are allowed to charge you a fee for processing your request). You also have the right to insist on the information being correct, and if necessary amended.

You can demand that they delete the information about you if it is causing you "substantial damage or distress" and this effect is "unwarranted". However, this is something that you might have to prove in court. Hurt feelings or minor inconvenience would not be enough, if the company can prove they have a legitimate reason to store data about you.

So in a nutshell stop all activities with WU demand the subject access then demand that they delete all data from their systems.
    Then as per other comments use another company which are far superior.

Regards