Western Dental / unethical practices and appointment tardiness

1 Tucson, AZ, United States
Phone: 520-722-9525

Today my daughter was scheduled to have her wisdom teeth removed. A previous appointment supposedly determined the positioning of the teeth and the need for this. that was also an initial exam and cleaning for our two children. It took a total of four to 4.5 hours (half a work day!) until they got out of that office after at least an hour waiting to be seen. With appointment scheduled for 11am, my wife and daughter arrived a bit early and proceeded to wait for 2 hrs before my daughter was called back. After being called back my daughter was then presented with options for payment with the staff member stating that our insurance only covered 50% of the cost and that she could choose to join a "plan" and the cost out of pocket dropped dramatically. once my wife was involved she was infuriated that this was not discussed previously as she had inquired the day prior to all costs so nothing would surprise us. Long story short, after 2.5 hrs and nothing done yet, I instructed them to leave after I contact a dentist friend in Phoenix and he explained that centers like this are not patient care oriented, only numbers ($) oriented and that those who sign people up for the "plans" are on commission. I contacted the Pantano/Broadway office and when I presented these things to the lady on the phone, nothing was denied and I was basically met with no response. People - stay away from these dental mill type practices, find a reputable dentist and also check to ensure your insurance plans are PPO types and not DMO types. It was explained to me by my dentist friend that PPOs are more desirable by offices because they allow dentists greater flexibility in the choice of higher quality outside services with quality and patient well-being in mind.