Wells Fargo Home Mortgage / loan modification bs

United States Review updated:
Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
We have been trying since November to keep our home from being foreclosed. I have spent hours on the phone getting the runaround from employee to employee who know little or nothing about our account. It is BS to have to call the 800 number and never get the same person!!! AGGRAVATING!!! No one at the local branch can help me! I was told in November to submit a hardship letter along with the necessary financial info. I had originally contacted the "HOPE" hotline and they took all my info. Then a rep from WF called for me to send the other information in and said he would be the one we would be talking to through the process. Desmond was his name... What a bunch of BS, haven't heard a peep from Desmond since then...

So, after submitting the information we finally get a letter from WF at the end of December with "moretoreum" aggreement that we would make a January payment of $400, February payment of $400 and then a March payment of $14000 before they would consider a loan modification for us!!! I called WF AGAIN to see if there was something we could do about the March payment because of course we don't have that kind of funds just laying around (bankruptcy last year...) The rep told me at that time we could make the January and February payments and then CALL them prior to the March payment to make "arrangements"... so we signed the paperwork and made the first two payments. I called at the end of February to make our "arrangements". The rep specifically TOLD me that I did not have to make the March payment as it was being rolled into the rest of our loan and was being submitted officially as part of the loan modification process. I asked her a few times, are you sure we don't have to send you anything for March, she said NO. I did however have to send all our financial info yet AGAIN and the hardship letter, AGAIN.

I called a few times to check the status of things, find out how we were coming along on our 30-60 day review. I was always told it was still in review. I ASKED EACH TIME-Do I need to make a March payment, are you sure??? No, you do not was always the reply...

So fast forward to Friday, April 10th. I call to check the status, hoping to hear good news as I found out the day before the bankruptcy trustee had given up any interest so our last hurdle in keeping our home was to get our loan reworked with WF. The first person to answer the phone transfers me to another person who tells me "oh You're in FORECLOSURE!!!" WTF???

I'm shocked, what I say??? They transfer me to yet another person, I'm like what's going on we've done everything you've told us to. They transfer me to their collections department... person number 4 now. Some cold, heartless, unfeeling soul who flat out says "You are in foreclosure because you failed to make the March payment." What the hell I say? YOUR COMPANY TOLD ME NOT TO!!! I have been nothing but cooperative in the matter. "I'm sorry ma'am, I understand you're upset and I'm not trying to argue with you." drones the b*tch. UPset?! Now there's an understatement! What do I do? I start crying, I cannot lose my house, we're trying to make this work! I thought the whole point in a loan modification was to help everyone?

Our home was on the market for the last two years, it has NOT sold. What makes WF think they're going to get anything out of it. Why not work with the people who want to stay? Who WANT to work something out?

The droning agent told me we could call the 800 number and see if we qualify for any loan modifications... Ummm, hello, isn't that what heck we've been doing for the last 6 months????!!! You'll have to submit a hardship letter and your financial info...AGAIN!!!

WELLS FARGO LIES!!! The customer service reps LIE!!! The lead you down one path and then screw you over!! I'm am absolutely, positively infuriated!!! It was especially a blow to read in the paper just that morning that WF had made an enormous profit for quarter, RECORD earnings... just screwing us little people trying to survive in this economy right now.

IF you are trying to rework your loan be careful!!! Don't let them lie to you too!

A  15th of Apr, 2009 by
I also have been trying to get loan modification from Wells Fargo. But they make it impossible by asking paperwork you cannot provide. I got loan modification from Countrywide, Indymac and Aurora, but Wells Fargo is the only company which made it impossible. They require some paperwork and you provide and then they come back and ask for more and there is no end and that way they make you give up.
I provided fewer documents for all the other companies and they did it because my hardship was very obvious. But Wells Fargo made it impossible. So they were denying without telling you in a smart way. Other Banks' loans were 1st and Wells Fargo's was 2nd and the amount was not even a lot. So I realized they do not care about customers at all.
I also tried to help my relative and sent yearly Social Security Income statement for two years. I also provided bank statements which showed the direct deposit. But Wells Fargo closed the case because we did not provide monthly statements when my relative was not getting. But they had yearly statements and bank statements which proved Social Security Income. On the other hand other banks like Countrywide and Aurora gave loan modification based on the yearly statements and bank statements.
Wells Fargo was the worst bank I have experienced and I have been their preferred customers for many years, which made me more upset. That bank does not care about their customers at all. I hope nobody goes through the same stress and bad experience I had with them.
N  21st of Apr, 2009 by
Oh my God!! This is exactly what we are going through!! My husband and I have been fighting with Wells Fargo since the end of 2008 when I lost my job. I finally found a new job and now they want 3x our monthy payment every month!!! There is no way we can come up with that much! I told them I got a job not that I became a millionaire!! We've sent in our financial paperwork over 5 times now and today the asked for it one more time! Everytime we send it in, they keep telling us that we need to make payments of $2200/month! Today they told us that we actually missed a payment yesterday of $2200, but when we called them last week they told us again, that our program was still being worked on... we've received nothing in the mail and no phone calls... were we supposed to hack into their computers to find out that we were supposed to start paying payments of $2200???

My biggest frustration is that there is no where for the consumer to turn, there is no avenue for us to take to get help! We've been doing everything they've told us to do and we've bent over backwards to keep our house... all we get is half assed service from a company that has been bailed out and is making profit!!! Where is all that money?? Aren't they supposed to be using it to help people in our situations??? It's not like we've all just decided that we didn't want to pay our mortgages! Frustrating isn't even a good enough word!
A  29th of Jun, 2009 by
I've also been given the runaround with WF. It's soooooo frustrating.

I applied for the Home Loan Modification program on 3/31/09. At that time, I faxed in the required docs (hardship letter, proof of income, and monthly expense report). I was told on 4/22/09 that my application was assigned to a negotiator on 4/20/09, everything needed had been received and it normally takes 45 days for a determination to be made.

On 5/20/09 I was told that my application was being considered for the Home Owner Affordability Plan and that they were waiting for an outdoor appraisal (BPO) to come in. Once received, the loan docs would be sent via UPS and it nomally takes one weeks for the BPO to come in.

On 6/22/09 I was told that the BPO finally came came back on 6/20/09 and my application was still under review. They are now considering me for the Home Affordability Refinance Plan (HARP) and I was transfered to the refinance people. OK, why when the refinance lady gets on the line she tells me that I do not qualify for HARP because I pay private mortgage insurance (PMI) on my loan so would I like to refinance my loan. HELL to the NAH.. Why should I refinance, and have to pay high refinance fees when I clearly qualify for the Home Owner Affordability Program. Sounds to me like WF is trying to run a SCAM. I hang up from the agent and immediately call WF back. This time I'm told that she's not sure why the agents would tell me that I was being considered for HARP, it clearly states that my application is still under review. When I tell her that I was originally told the application process would take 45 days, her response was: "I'm not sure why the agents would give you a date.. the review process could take 90 days." HELLO.. What kind of games are they playing.. Each time you call WF: they ask, are you planning on staying and keeping your home. HELLO.. Yeah, but if she keep giving me the run around and I keep having to rob Peter to pay Paul.. HELL NAH.. I'm not going to be able to keep my home.

Does anyone know of a consumer complaint number? WF should be following the federal guidelines and there has to be someone out there policing these mortgage companies.
A  30th of Jun, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have the same problem. Wellsfargo is playing games.
It's a time game. At the end, you go into foreclosure.
I am searching for the right organization to report this to.
A co-worker referred me to loansafe.org. However, there
must be a government agency that can do something about this.
I won't stop. I will contact Barac Obama personally if I have to.
I will keep this site updated.
A  30th of Jun, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am still working on this.
In the meantime, please submit your complaint to:
It will go to Barac Obama.
N  30th of Jun, 2009 by
6-30-09 update
Also contact the president and CEO of Wellsfargo. His email address is john.g.stumpf@wellsfargo.com.

Also visit this website:

Send letters to Congress (your elected representatives), President Obama and Treasury Sec. Geitner and ask for an investigation. The more people who do so, the faster we will get help. There is strength in numbers.

More to come.
N  2nd of Jul, 2009 by
I am sorry to hear what happened thats why I entrusted in a law firm to get my Modification done. I recently did a loan Modification with the Al Verdi Law Group. They walked me through every step of the process from start to finish, I was very fortunate to find such a wonderful company to work with. If I may recommend any company to do your loan modification I would give them a call, they did my entire loan modification in exactly 47 days and anytime I had a question they were very responsive in getting right back to me. Its unfortunate there are so many bad company's out there, If anyone comes across any other bad companies please post because no one deserves to get there house taken from them. You can contact them at 866 400 1694 The gentlemen I worked with name was Cale Swanson
A  6th of Jul, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I recently tried to apply for a loan modification through my bank (Wells Fargo) on my own. I started this process in Aug. 2008, but simply got no where, because they were not willing to cooperate because I had been current and never missed a payment. My 2 yr. fixed rate was going to be adjustable come Jan. 2009, and I was already $100, 000.00 upside down on my home. I called them at least 100 million times to get this done early or even at all. All reps didn't anything about my account and the paperwork I sent. They always said "they didn't see any record of any paperwork or of me even calling". So after some research I come across a company called U.S.A. Home Relief Inc. that guaranteed to lower my principal balance. I gave them a call and they said I was the perfect candidate for a loan modification. They required some paperwork from me and I sent it as soon as they asked for it. They advised me to stop making payments to my bank to prove I was in a hardship. So I did, being that they were "professional lawyers". Well, they also required to pay them $2, 000.00 upfront before the "real" process began. So I did, being that they "guaranteed" to lower my principal, interest rate, and monthly payment. Now, keep in mind this has already been a month and a half of just sending them the required paperwork and doing what they asked, but the "real" processed wasn't really going to start until they received their payment. This processed started Feb. 2009, and now it's July 2009 and they are telling me that the only option I have is a forbearance option, meaning I have to make 3 payments in row before Wells Fargo can except my loan modification. So if I make those payments and they still deny my loan modification, I have not only messed up my credit for not making payments for 6 months, but now I'm in the same predicament I was in before this headache and nightmare. So my advise to all people in a hardship and are looking toward getting a loan modification, do it yourself with your own bank instead of paying someone a large sum of money to do nothing.
N  21st of Jul, 2009 by
Holy cow...I am sure glad that I looked here. We also have WF and requested a modification on our loan. We were told it would take 60-90 days then 30-45 days. We were assigned a negotiator on the 13th of July..on the 17th we got a letter stating our loan was being reviewed and we would hear from them in 30-45 days on the 21..we got a letter via UPS from WF saying that we would have to pay $2200 in Oct as agreed..I have never talked to anyone who told me anything bout this amount...I have called every week and they all told me it was being reviewed..typical BS. So I call and ask WTH is this letter and what does it mean? Basically in a nut shell we dont have to make our Aug Sept or Oct payment til Oct 17 and then we have to pay them all on the 17th..taxes interest escrow everything and he told me to use our monthly payments to eliminate unecessary bills like telephone, cable, vehicle..etc...OK..hello..if I use that money to pay stuff off..where in the he$$ do they think I will get the $2200 in Oct.??..on yea I have a big ole money tree growin in my back yard. We do have cc debt which I am filing bankruptcy on they are in my name and we have had to use them since my husband lost his job...so I told him I was eliminating that debt and that now I would have a bankruptcy on my credit report and if i reapply WF wont help cause I have a bankruptcy...he didnt say a word!!! How exactly is putting off the payments for 2 months supposed to help? When if I wouldnt pay all 3 months in the end I am going to loose my house and it clearly says that I will and they will charge me unruley fees etc. He also told me when I eliminate some of the debt to reapply..WTH..then they are going to stay..they have plenty of income and no debt so they dont need it. We are a family of 6 and do not have a BIG fancy house..1800 sq ft total...my husband is very fortunate to find another job, but making less than half of his previous employment. WF is a joke..and if we could afford it..I would refi through a local bank and SCREW WF...they are too big and have a lot of power and they are using it to screw the little people..TY WF for NOTHING...Obama needs to be talking to all of US..not like he would listen!
A  24th of Jul, 2009 by
A  27th of Jul, 2009 by
UNBELIEVABLE. IT WAS RECOMMENDED TO ME THAT I apply for a loan modification, through WELLS FARGO. I called and was put through to a different department. Strangely, it was never referred to at ANY TIME DURING MY 20 CALLS that the department was legit but somehow I got tossed around from rep to rep to rep. I followed protocol, that is, applied for a loan reduction explaining my hardship. They requested my income and montghly expense differentiation. My salry was cut in half so obviously I could not pay my bills to the degree that I was used to. In order to keep my house, I was told by a rep that Well Fargo wanted to keep me rather than lose me as it would benefit us both. Naturally I assumed they were taking me seriously and would help lower my monthly costs to some degree. I pay on time, have over 100, 000 equity but am in no position to sell or refi. I waited weeks and was told to keep "calling" and asking how the progress is going. They all said that is is in "negotiation". I finally received a letter saying that they would have an answer in 30 days. This never came to fruition. I spoke with rep after rep and none of them knew a thing but one said I was denied. Furious I responded by saying on what grounds? She said I don't make enough money. DAH BEAVIS-why apply for a reduction if I could afford the dang loan in the first place. They became inreasonable and hun up on me. I then spoke with the next rep who had no sign or knwoledge that I had been declined. Ir elaized I was being lied to so I asked for a manager to call. They never called back. Ic alled again to be treated with disrespect and be out on hold and told all the suipervisors were busy but would call me back. NOT ONE so called wells fargo manager EVER called me back. I am begining to think there are no managers. I would like to speak with the president of the company for an expalnation of the rat race he is running. They make a lot of money on me per year-roughly 13, 000.00, yet they have no value or qualified employees to have the decency to call me back? I need a job. Why hire schmo's who have no clue? This issue is still unresolved. I have filed a complaint with the better business bureau. It could be a reverse discrimination if they see you are educated then you are last on the list.
N  27th of Jul, 2009 by
SO, reading your situations I realize that Wells Fargo does not reduce loans on a permanent basis, or even reduce them at all they just make you think that by loowering one or two months they are helping you. If they cut all of these dimwits jobs and hired us, they could save on the dimwits salries and we could actually reduce loans not lie and tell people we are going to help them and then not really help them. They use two month decoys. Ya know I actually thought there was one good mortgage company out there but now I realize they are based on and originated by greed which attracts greedy people. the in terest on homes has always been insanely high as opposed to everything else necessary in the economy. I own only a townhome. I pay 1300 a month and have had many hardships as of lately. Iw as only looking fore a small cut for help-maybe 200.00 even though I need more. By delaying this process they have caused me more of a financial hardship and they have completely losy my trust.
N  29th of Jul, 2009 by
I agree with everything all of you saying, I applied in Feb 2009 and I have had nothing but the RUN around, now that it is getting closer I guess it was closer those idiots withdrew my loan modification. This is entire process was joke. Wells has been giving money by government but yet they are distributing it like they should. Now Wells told me I will need to apply all over again, same process again with no resolution
N  29th of Jul, 2009 by
I meant to say they are NOT distributing the money like they should. I am just so frustrated...with this entire WELLS FARGO MODIFICATION
N  1st of Aug, 2009 by
I also am going through the EXACT same thing except I got a letter now, months and months later, stating I was approved for $150.00 dollars less. LOL!! Are you kidding me that still does not even bring us close to 31%. Also without my husbands unemployment check it would be higher then that. This company is literally screwing with people. It makes me sick. There has to be something done, who is regualting this??? If anyone has a answer I would love to here.
A  4th of Aug, 2009 by
This is incredible. I thought we were the only ones that were given the " run around by Wells Fargo. We have also been trying to get a loan modification since April 2009. I have called week in and week out to find out the status.
We have been getting the exact same response as everyone else. We faxed all pertinent information then follow up to find out if they recieved it We talked to a rep who verifies that all informtion has been recieved.
Then we call again as instructed, we then get a different rep asking for the same information that we provided months ago. We have fax all financial information fifteen times over the last five months. One rep give us a different version and another one tells us that we are on a waiting list to be assigned to a " negotiator". Wells fargo does not want to help their customers.
I think this is deliberate and contrive to discourage their customers to stop calling. Can someone put a stop to this nonsense. Where can we go for real help.
A  4th of Aug, 2009 by
All I can say is WOW! Apparently I'm in a very large boat...I've been attempting to get a loan modification through Wells Fargo since April 3, 2009. Faxed documents (more than once), UPS'ed documents, called every week for months for an update, tried checking the status of my claim on line (the site never works), get asked the same questions when I call "Are you currently living in the home and do you plan on keeping the home?". I received a letter from Wells Fargo on July 27, 2009 letting me know that they have received my request for assistance with my mortgage payment challenges, that my information is being reviewed and that I can expect to receive a final decision on my request in the next 45 - 60 days. ANOTHER 45 - 60 days? I started this process back on April 3rd! Under the "next steps" section of the letter they say to "continue to make your monthly payments", if I could continue to make my monthly payment why would I be asking for a loan modification? I can see that this whole modification process is a scam and there's no need for me to keep banging my head against the wall by calling Wells Fargo and asking for updates...the loan modification isn't going to happen.
A  7th of Aug, 2009 by
Wells Fargo does "NOT" do loan mods I have been going through this for the past 2 years! and the only thing that they can offer is a FOREBEARANCE plan. We have been in 4 Forebearance plans satisfied and have been promised that after we satisfy the plan our loan would be considered for a MODIFICATION, we are still going through this and no MOD yet! Forebearance plans is just Bad money after bad money! That money does NOT get applied to your loan it goes into a suspension account (your payments floating). So once this suspension account gets to a certain point they send you a check. We received a check last year for 12, 000 and this month for 17, 000 Monies that were never applied to our account! thats why our balance is also so high! Always told to not make payments when I started this process we owed 15, 000 now we are up to 102, 000 not to mention how this has affected our income taxes. Forebearance plans are very, very, BAD and the payment is ALWAYS! much higher, we as consumers agree to them because we do not want to lose our homes, and we feel thankful that they are thumping us a helpful hand!
N  11th of Aug, 2009 by
Like so many of you here, I am also cuaght in the "HARP" strings with Wells Fargo. Starte the process in February base on the Obama program, only to be told that because I carry PMI, I was not eligible yet, but be patient and it would happen.Now 6 months later, still no resolution and no word from WF.

Have never dealt with them before and only wish I could leave them now, however as many of you - not able to do so...
Do they really want us all to stop making mortgage payments and see what happens? Would it not be better to work with us now before it is too late?
A  18th of Aug, 2009 by
This is so discouraging. We've been dealing with WF since April 2009. Every month we get a letter saying we have to resubmit 3 month income/expense list, salary updates, additional hardship letter AND, their letters always threaten us with "if we don't receive a response within 10 days we'll consider this application canceled." Like most of you we have also been told, it's in the process, the negotiator is reveiwing it, etc. Yesterday we were told that we have sign and date every page we've submitted and include the account # on each page!. WE are about to give up, but we are going to contact our congressman and senator and the president, also the Federal Trade Commission. SOME SHOULD HEAR OUR PLEA!

Wells Fargo Logo Wells Fargo