Waste Management / terrible customer service and excessive fees

1 Topeka, KS, United States Review updated:

Buyer beware of waste management. This company is so bad, I don't know where to begin. They provide trash service for me at a rental property. First of all, they make me sign a 36 month contract for trash service. Really? I need to sign a 3 year contract for them to pick up garbage! Then they expect me to notify them by certified mail 6 months before the end of mine contract to tell them I don't want service anymore. Plus they want me to tell them the price of the service I am switching to and give the right to match it. Ridiciulous! What else? They have raised the cost of my service 15% a year. They just randomly raise my bill and hope I don't squell. If I call to speak with a manager, they get my contact information to call me back, yet more times than not I end up having to call them again because they don't return my call. They changed my trash pick up day and failed to notify me. They claimed they couldn't get in touch with me, but by god they could get the bill sent to me each and every month.

Needless to say, I will not be renewing my contract with waste management. I have been counting the days until I can tell them where to put it. This company is too worried about their shareholders' pockets and shamelessly promoting themselves on undercover boss to give a damn about their customers. I would not recommend anyone ever get trash service from waste management.

Comments

20th of Dec, 2010

You would assume wrong. I don't have a dumpster. I have 4- 96 gallon trash bins for my tenants to throw their trash in and they wheel them to the curb so it is a pretty big deal when the trash day is. And it's not the fact they switched trash days, it's the fact that they didn't notify me about the change. When I asked them why they didn't notify me, they told me they didn't have my contact info. Yet they were still sending me bills every month. Maybe you should read a little closer before you aimlessly comment helpNu. And as far as the comment, "Fuel prices go up and your bill will also". The city trash service in my town has maintained their price for trash service for the past three years. Based on your comments helpNu, I would not be surprised if you were a Waste Management employee. With the margins they have figured into their service, they could afford to hire a bunch of people to surf the internet and post stupid comments.

• Ji
      22nd of Jul, 2011

We have the same problem with Waste Management. I tried to cancel last year but they said we had another year to go so when it came up this year I was a month off now we are stuck with them for 3 more years because of the "rolling contract". They are deceptive and misleading with their contract. They want to enforce their contract with an iron hand yet they want the ability to change their prices whenever they want.
    Ours too is for rental property. We deal with contracts all of the time. We have let our renters out of the contract for individual reasons . We do not want unhappy renters on our property and I don't know why Waste Managment would want such bitter customers.

• Mo
      20th of Sep, 2018

Just had a similar experience. My bill kept going up so I called to complain. The woman was very nice - she lowered it and all was good. Then a few weeks later I get a bill as if I hadn't paid and it had not gone down. I called and they told me to ignore it - I didn't owe anything. Then a month later I get a bill that is almost double what I was quoted. I call back and the first woman said I was charged a "Resume Fee" - and when I started questioning she kept saying I was breaking up and she couldn't hear me - but I could hear her fine. She said she would call me right back and never did. I had to go through the whole process again and the woman tried to help but she kept explaining that my services was cancelled for non-payment with a $45 resume fee plus $10 more for administrative charges. I argued this was robbery - how could they charge 50% of the bill when they didn't do anything. She kept saying that I had let the bill lapse 62 days. When I pressed her for the dates the bills are due she then was flip flopping what she said. I continued to review the facts and then even she could see that the bill was only 30 days late when I paid it so they should not have cancelled the service. She couldn't explain what happened but did fix it for me. I just hope this is reflected in my bill in a few weeks. Very upsetting and just a 'waste' of my time.