Waste Management / scam charges
Waste management bills consumers in my city in quarterly installments. If you, the consumer, do not receive your bill for any reason, do not pay it within the first 4 weeks of receiving the invoice (it is mailed @3 weeks prior to the start of the new quarter), or do not pay the full amount, whether by intent or accident, the company will still pick up your refuse but will put your account on "suspension" and charge you, the consumer a $35 re-instatement fee.
Sounds fine, because most companies providing a service can and do charge reconnect fees.in the case of waste management, the do not ever inform you in any way whatsoever on your original invoice that there is a reconnect fee if they suspend service for non-payment, nor do they mail out late notices. They do not notify the consumer in writing prior to imposing this fee.
You have to pay the fee or they will halt service. And you, their consumer, have no recourse.
In my case, my city has an ordinance requiring it's citizens to have trash service. And the city has a contract with waste management. As a result, if I refuse to pay a bill, not only am I charged a fee for reconnect from waste management, but I could be found to be in non-compliance of city code/ordinance and can be fined by the city up to $125. Waste management knows this, so they charge whatever they want, and then you are forced to pay, one way or another.
Please include your contact information so that we may get more information in the future if you'd like to share. Attach copies of any correspondence you have had with the company that may be relevant.
More Waste Management Complaints & Reviews
- Waste Management - overcharged 
- Waste Management - ethics 
- Waste Management - breach of contract
- Waste Management - accused of crossing the line!! 
- Waste Management - terrible customer service and excessive fees 
- Waste Management [WM] - overcharging at end of contract
- Waste Management [WM] - blocking car with dumpsters.
- Waste Management [WM] - residential trash services 
- Waste Management [WM] - so wish we had competition for these crappy monopolies 
- Waste Management [WM] - billing/ customer service