Walter E. Smithe / Completely dissatisfied company

United States Review updated:
4.55
Walter E. Smithe - www.smithe.com

My husband and I have spent over $10,000 at this store and have had the worst experience. Both delivery times, no one has called us to give us a window and we have had to wait home all day. The order dept could not tell us anything!

Secondly, we explained that we absolutely needed our furniture by Oct 1st. The company delivered it the second week in Sept, but unfortunately, one chair was the wrong fabric (although it was correct on my order form). I immediately (within 2 hours of delivery) explained to my sales person that I wanted to either receive the correct chair by October 1st, or cancel the order. You would think that is not an issue since they had to re-order the whole thing. The order processing person, nor my salesperson returned our phone calls for almost a week. I had to track down the store manager, who just put me on the phone with the order department. Finally, my case went to Mr. Smithe himself. He agreed that delivery prior to mid to late October was impossible, but he refused to cancel my order citing small print on the contract that the store is can make mistakes, have defects, etc and the customer cannot do anything to cancel order. You would think that a cancellation of one chair on an order of over $10,000 with an expectation of more to come would be a no-brainer. Maybe it was in the contract, but what about some customer service! Finally, he agreed to give $250 credit. But low and behold, this is only on future orders. What!! I don't want to step foot in this place again, much less purchase something in the future.

I would never recommend this place to someone, and I continue to discourage people from shopping there. Hope the profit on a $1000 chair was worth it Mr. Smithe!
Va

Comments

Jj
  10th of Sep, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I put a deposit of $1200 down on a table at Walter E. Smith, Crystal Lake, IL. The sales person said I may have to pay a 10% restocking fee if I changed my mind. She said nothing about them cashing the check first thing the next morning, and then refusing to give any of my money back. After talking to the store manager and the ordering person, the matter was referred to "Mr. Smithe" . "Mr. Smithe" decided that I could have an in-store credit to buy something else in the store.
Why would I want to purchase anything from a store that has refused to return my money?
"Mr. Smithe" acts like the Wizard of Oz. We were told by the store manager that he runs everything, makes all the decisions, and this happens all the time.
I have set a deadline and if I don't get my money back, I will file a complaint with the BBB, Attorney General, and plan to picket the store in person on a Saturday with signs. I am NOT letting this ""Wizard of Oz" coward swindle me out of a deposit. They think they are above state consumer law, and I am out to prove they are not.
I will NEVER EVER buy anything from this store again. And i don't plan to be FORCED into buying it either.
What does this SMITHE company have - a bunch of 1-time customers?
If anyone is with me to picket this store, let me know.
An
  21st of Mar, 2009
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
My family and friends will NEVER EVER buy anything from this store again . I cant 'believed how low quality of furniture and service they provide. Go bankrupt ...walter e smith.
Un
  19th of Apr, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
This company has no interest in furniture and design as they claim. They hire sales people with no interior design experience and call them decorators. My sister purchased thousands of dollars of furniture and when I arrived at her home to look at it, I immediately noticed the furniture was too large and overpowering the room. She called the so called decorator and oh well too bad for her. Every time I see one of the Company's brotherly images and commerical it makes me sick. This company is totally driven by the almighty dollar and have not passion for design! It would be nice if they would do both. Forget the expensive commercials and hire designers who know what they're doing.
Ha
  26th of Aug, 2009
I used to work for them. They are robbers and it's planned to be that way. The rude treatment, the non-refund policy and the myth of a caring company is just that...a myth. Folks, get a licensed interior designer to do your home planning, not a 60 day wonder fresh out of college with a communication's degree.
Is
  24th of May, 2010
My husband and I spent over 25k at walter e smith and come to find out that the sofa is a peice of CRAP.It is squeaking all over the place the cores damaged after one year.We call themto send us new cores and they are charging us shipping(some nerve)...So my advice NEVER, NEVER SHOP AT WALTER E SMITH...
Je
  2nd of Feb, 2011
Yea this seems to be par for the course. I too got swindled by the tiny print and the totally bogus return policies. I shouldve known better when I saw the salesmen being too pushy. These guys try to pretend like theyre chicago legends yet theyre just brats that got a free company from daddy. Heres a great idea, treat customers well and they will come back to you.
Ma
  8th of Oct, 2012
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am one of the owners at Walter E. Smithe. The comments on this page do not represent the usual experiencesof our clients, nor do they accurately describe the way we serve our clients and operate our company. We have been in business since 1945 by taking good care of our clients. If I can help anyone who has commented here or anyone else reading this page in any way, please contact me anytime. Until then, I remain at your service.
Sincerely,

Walter E Smithe
Vernon Hills
Vernon Hills
Illinois

I purchased a bedroom set from Walter E Smithe a few years ago and although it took MONTHS for delivery, all said and done, it's a beautiful set. When we moved into our new home we decided to go back and purchase a new sectional. What an incredible mistake that was. It is just now 2 years old and looks like garbage. It sinks in the middle of the sofa portion, the fabric has stretched terribly and the cushions inside must be simply disintegrating because the back inserts on the couch are only now about half full. I've called them to complain, had 2 different service calls where both men agreed the sofa was not in good shape considering the time we've had it, not to mention it's nearly $6, 000 price tag! They've just called to tell me that they've determined that it's natural wear. WHAT??? We have a 10 year old sectional in another room that was half the cost and it has held up wonderfully. I am disgusted with how this has been handled especially since my conversations with their in home service people were apparently vastly different from what they actually reported to the company! What's worse is that a friend of mine and I shopped together and bought the SAME EXACT (different fabric) set and is having similar issues. My advice is shop elsewhere because you're going to spend A LOT for really poor quality over the long term. They told me if I wasn't happy with the couch I needed to report it within the first 14 days. I had no idea I was paying thousands of dollars for a sectional only meant to last less than 2 years. Horrible.
Al
  11th of Nov, 2014
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Thanks you may have just saved me over $5, 000 the red flag was when I was told they would hold the price for me if I gave them a check/credit card for $100.00. I was waiting for my husband to be able to visit the store and view the selection I had wanted as we both respect each others opinions. Anyway when the salesperson said I would not get the $100 back i would get a store credit that kind of concerned me, if he didn't like my selection I have not idea when I might be back to cash in my store credit.
I always thought this was a class operation but am surely having doubts after reading all these reviews and my own experience
Ba
  21st of Jan, 2015
I wish I had read these comments before we bought. We received a sectional, chaise, and ottoman on 12/23/14. We had specified that we wanted a couch that had 4 sections plus the chaise. We received one that had 3 sections plus the chaise. The delivery worker told us this couch did not come in 4 sections. There was no way we could have known this from the order form. We had told the designer what we wanted but did not get it. When I spoke with the designer the next day she seemed to indicate that we had not known the size we needed which is completely false, since we brought in measurements. We were told we could order another section. This should have been made clear at the time of purchase.There was no offer to reduce the price, no offer to make things right, no customer service. I don't know if this was a huge misunderstanding on her part or a conscious bate and switch. In any event, there is no way we can prove anything, and we will never set foot in the store again.

Walter E. Smithe Logo Walter E. Smithe