Vonage / Billed for services not provided

1 Old Bridge, NJ, United States Review updated:

Switched my phone service from Vonage to Optimum mid October-Got the run around from Vonage about closing the account. Found that they were continuing to bill my AMEX account. Found out that they didn't close my account and were continuing to collect $31.95 from my AMEX!
I was finally able to speak to a "Manager" in account services who told me that they could not refund ANY monies to me because the account was still open although no services were being provided (except for keeping open a dead account) Was told that according to the terms of service agreement, they could continue to do so until the account was closed! Honestly, the service was OK and had no real complaints about that BUT their business practices are unscrupulous at best! Wish I knew this before I ever signed up with them. I'll be sure to tell anyone I know about this. VONAGE WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY EVEN IF THEY DON'T PROVIDE SERVICES TO YOU!!

Ma

Comments

• Id
      10th of Jun, 2009

Vonage did me the same way. Except they are charging us $150 for a phone line we NEVER used. Never made calls out of the phone, never got incoming calls. Why I could never get their piece of crap modem to work! No wonder it was FREE??? So tried to call their tech support they could not answer any questions. I could not hardly understand them because of the very broken english they had. Told them to never activate the account. They said too late. Then I get a bill for $150! So I called again to dispute the charges. I got told I SUBSCRIBED for the service so I have to pay! I SUBSCRIBED? Is this a magizine, book order what? Phone service weather you use any minutes or not! This constitutes as FRAUD! Does Qwest charge you for SUBSCRIBING to their service? NO! They charge for incoming and outgoing calls, local and long distance but not a subscription. Vonage wrote and told me this (Cut and pasted from email)
    Thank you for contacting Vonage, the award winning digital phone service!

We received your letter regarding your Vonage account.

As per your letter, you are disputing the outstanding balance of $150.52 that is due for your account.

Please review the statements below which were taken from the Terms of Service you agreed to. These Terms are agreed to by logging into your Online Account for the first time. To gain access to your account, you must first check two boxes that confirm you have read, and you agree to the Terms of Service.

If your subscription (where is in their terms relate to calls made in or out? They don't. This is bascially a illegal act.)

Recovery Fee.
    If you disconnect service based on a commitment before the end of the commitment period, you agree to pay us the applicable recovery fee. A recovery fee is equal to the difference between the price you paid and the regular price of the good, service, or other benefit you received. Any recovery fees are cumulative and are in addition to any other amounts you may owe us, including any disconnection fees.

(RECOVERY FEE FOR WHAT? CRAPPY C/O SERVICE & TECH SUPPORT? FOR SERVICE YOU NEVER USE? -FRAUD-)

No Credit for Non-Usage or Misdialing Neither non-usage of the service nor misdialing while using the service entitle you to a credit for, or refund of, any portion of a payment made to us. (YOU GOT TO LOVE THIS ONE! NON-USAGE OR MISDIALING. NON-USAGE? NO CREDIT WHAT THE HECK?)

Billing Disputes.
    If you want to dispute any Vonage charges on your statement, you must notify us within 7 days after you receive your statement from your bank or credit card issuer. If you do not dispute the charges within 7 days, you waive any right to contest the charges. 1-VONAGE-HELP (1-866-243-4357)

We are unable to waive the outstanding balance of $150.52 as the charge is valid.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

You may review the Terms of Service in its entirety at the link below:

If you have any questions, your Vonage team is available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Contact us whenever and however it suits you!

- On-Line Help Center at http://www.vonage.com/help.php
    - Contact Us at http://www.vonage.com/help_contactus.php
    - Or call Toll-Free at 1-VONAGE-HELP (1-866-243-4357)

Thanks again for choosing Vonage, a better phone service for less!

Sincerely,

Michael
    Vonage Customer Care

HELL YEAH I DISPUTE THIS AND WILL KEEP ON! I SAY WE FILE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR THIS! SUBSCRIBE VERSES ACTUALLY USING THE SERVICE - AKA CALLS GOING IN AND OUT! WHAT DO YOU SAY. SOMEONE EMAIL ME. I WOULD LIKE TO FIND A ATTORNEY WHO WILL BE WILLING TO DO SO!

I FOUND THIS SITE IN HOPES MAYBE THOSE WHO ARE BEING RIPPED OFF BY VONAGE FOR THIS TYPE OF SERVICE WE CAN GET A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THEM! http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/index.html