Volkswagen / damaged goods and no resolution
I have a VW polo 1.6 vehicle which I bought brand new from VW braamfontein in Feb 2011. The vehicle is still under its 3year Manufacturer warranty. My car has overheated and broke down 3 times in a matter of 6 months. On the 1st Incident, I lodged a complaint with the VW customer care centre as well as the dealership, and I was assured the matter was fixed. On the 2nd incident I then escalated the matter to the Desk of the Managing Director Mr. David Powels after which I was once again assured that the matter was resolved. This past Friday Night, my car once again broke downand overheated. The same incident has occurred 3 time now on a new vehicle, with no resolution. These incidents have put my safety at risk and have caused me a high degree of inconvieniance. May I add, that on all 3 occassions, I was denied a courtesy car by the VW dealerships, even though the breakdown was their fault. What disturbs me is that I have had 3 of these incidents already during the 3 year warranty, which means I will be sitting with bigger problems when the warrenty ends. The warranty is ending in 1 year. As a consumer, I either want my car fixed, with a guarantee that it won't happen again, or I want my car replaced or I want VW to take the car back and terminate the payment agreement. I refuse to pay for damaged goods that comes with a high level of stress and inconvieniance.
I am now turning to you in the hope that you will assist me, as I have tried everything in my power with VW south Africa but have failed.
Below is the last letter which I sent to the Desk of the Managing Director of VW SA Mr. David Powels. (Powels@vwsa.co.za)
THE CEO / Managing Director
VW SOUTH AFRICA
15TH FEBRUARY, 2013
Dear Mr. Powels
RE ENGINE VIN NO : AAVZZZ6RZBU022201
I have just about had it with VW’s lack of competency & lack of after sales service. I have a Polo 1.6 Tiptronic which I bought brand new in February 2011. May I add, that the vehicle is still under it’s 3 year manufacturers warranty and is still under a full maintenance plan.
Last month, my vehicle over heated and broke down leaving me totally stranded. To highlight that, I was appalled at the level of service rendered by the Rivonia Dealership to which my car was towed to. (I had at logged a complaint for that at the time). My car was kept at Rivonia for 3 days, after which, I was assured that the problem was ”FINALLY RESOLVED”. This morning while on my way to work, my car overheats and breaks down for the SECOND TIME, leaving me stranded once again ~ a total inconvenience, as I had an urgent meeting this morning to attend. I am the Manager of Woolworths Sandton. The meetings I attend are critical. The worst part is, no one knows why the car is overheating. If this is happening to my car now, within the 3 year Manufacturers warranty, I will simply be left bewildered with bigger problems after my 3 year term is over. My new car is overheating and breaking down every month.
1. My car that VW has sold to me is clearly defective. A new car cannot overheat every month just after two years of buying it.
2. I am left inconvenienced & totally stranded in unsafe environments every single time – because of VW
3. I still continue to pay VW every month without fail, even though the car is sitting for days at YOUR dealerships because of YOUR defective workmanship / manufacturing.
4. No courtesy car was offered in my instance by any of your dealers. When you ask for one, they immediately say Sorry, they cannot help as they are out of cars. Cannot help? when I am left stranded because of VW?? This has now happened on both occasions by Rivonia and Braamfontein.
As a consumer, I feel that my CPA rights have been infringed upon, more strongly the following:
1. The Right to quality Service – I have received incompetency, unwilling service from VW south Africa and its dealerships especially while it is the fault of VW’s workmanship.
2. Right to return goods – As a consumer I am entitled to return unsafe or defective goods, INCLUDING goods that are of inferior quality
I am totally disgusted and disappointed at the quality of your products, as well as your after sales service. Never in my life have I experienced such inconvenience. This is the 1st and Last time I purchase a VW car. As a Brand you really need to step back and re-align your focus on two things: Customer and Product.
As a consumer, I will be lodging a formal complaint with the Consumer board.
I need my vehicle replaced or a better solution if you have one. I refuse to suffer day in and day out for VW’s negligence. I am sitting with a new car that is totally unreliable.
If my grievance’s are deemed unfit for your attention – my legal team’s letter will be on Germany’s desk.
More Volkswagen Complaints & Reviews
- Volkswagen Motors Worldwide Ltd - receiving mails of award money 
- Gunther Vw Coconut Creek - fraud 
- VW SA - complaint of service 
- [Resolved] Vw Mastercars - vwsa allows their franchisee to break the law 
- Volkswagen - unable to fix flashing light in amarok 
- Claremont Vw - service levels of the salesman, service manager and dealer principle
- Volkswagen - not to be trusted
- Volkswagen - unethical behaviour
- Volkswagen - mounting and changing two tires
- Volkswagen - auto repair