Valuair / Jetstar Asia / double charged

1 Indonesia Review updated:

I booked a flight for my wife, infant son and I to Singapore (11/2/2009). Three quarters of the way through the booking and, sadly, after the payment screen, the internet connection went down. Living in Indonesia it took a while to get back on. While waiting to connect I ran Valuair and found the number listed to be incorrect. Directory services has no listing for either JetStar or Valuair in Indonesia.

I checked with the bank and no charge had been levied so assumed the booking had not gone through. I went ahead and booked again...by now my wife had decided against going and I just booked for myself. I received email confirmation, as per normal, that my booking (ref E8B9TT) was successful...I never received the same for the earlier booking reference (which I later found via my credit card statementto be V3RDPV)

I went ahead with my flight by myself.

Checking my bank statement I found the two charges and rang JetStar in Australia (remember the Indonesian nubers do not work!).

I was told that I was not entittled to a refund for the flight not taken, nor was I entittled to a credit to be used against further flights.

OK- I have used ValuAir about 14 times over the last 16 months, as well as the parent airline QANTAS. I am a frequent flyer with the later. I am not a fraudster and I feel that I should not be blamed for internet failure in a country where this is the norm!!!

The whole episode and the refusal to either give me a credit or refund (credit is FINE) has left a very sour taste in my mouth. I have been very positive about Valuair's service in the past, however this incident and a point blank refusal to listen to reason is beyond me.

I will be for sure binning jetstars recent corporate traveller invite, as well as cancelling all my companies freight business with QANTAS. Apart from this I will be passing on word of mouth to the small expatriate community here in Jakarta just what a bunch of rotters JetStar are. Its a pity we own a cafe and a large number of expatriates pass through...they will all hear this story

Alun Evans
alun@merdekacoffee.com

Comments

• Va
      4th of Apr, 2009

Hello Alun,

I agree. i am having the same problem getting back my refund for a cancelled flight in Dec 08. I was told repeatedly that it will take 3 months. Its has been more then 3 months and still no refund. The flight I cancelled was a result of the Bangkok political incident in Dec and my flight was rescheduled to a later timing.

Customer service for Jetstar is really bad as there is no hotline to call except for reservations desk and they can only remind Finance (which I heard is located in KL) to expedite the matter. I have called at least 4-5 times to check if my refund is still in process.

What is worse, there is no email or notification to confirm any cancellation fro Jetstar.

I find the whole processes very inconsiderate towards their customers. And get this, I have to mail a letter to their Customer Relations just to get an answer!

Totally frustrated,

Valerie Su

• Fl
      30th of Jun, 2009

I have had a similar experience whereby I changed my flight to a new date and paid extra for the change. Jetstar subsenquently cancelled this flight. I could either accept another date at no charge or have a total refund. It has been 4 months and we are now been told by their customer relation that they will refund us an amount less the change fee and facilitation fee. (Even though they cancelled the flight we paid the fee to get).

I feel that the reservation staff are not trained correctly and are giving misleading information to their customers.

To be honest you have to build in these issues when you book cheap flights. When it goes wrong it will cost you money!!

10th of Aug, 2010

I had a similar experience too. The contact numbers they gave us is not working. I tried to send them e-mail but it's always failed.

• Ed
      2nd of Jan, 2014

Yth. Management Valuair
    Anak saya Dedi Setiadi dan Sarah Jayne naik Valuair dari Surabaya ke Singapura (Changi) jam 13.00 WIB selasa tanggal 31 Desember 2013. Kehilangan salah satu barang bagasi berupa lampit (tikar rotan) seberat 8 kg. Di Singapura barang tidak ditemukan sehingga mereka meneruskan perjalanan ke O'hara Chicago Via Jepang. Harap dicarikan barang tersebut dan dikirim ke 643 Columbine Avenue Lisle Illinois 60532 (alamat Dedi & Sarah)