US Passport / Poor service!

I am a student, studying aboard, applied for a passport in Feb to have it by June and still haven't gotten mine. I took out a loan of 6,000 to pay for my trip and refund date was in March. Now I am going to be in debt for a trip I was never able to go on all because of the service at the US Department of State. They are absolutely ridiculous. I applied in Feb to get my passport within 10 weeks. Why should I loose 6,000 dollars, 6 school credits, and an experience of a lifetime all because the passport agency cannot get their ### together? I am looking to take legal action.

Je

Comments

• Br
      18th of Jul, 2007

It is not Department of States problem you people purchase your tickets and then decide to apply for a passport. It makes more sense to perhaps have your passport and then buy your ticket? That may be the smart approach. DOS is not sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for you to apply for your damn passport nor do they care when you are traveling when you and every other stupid damn citizen in this country think the world revolves around you. It is not a product that you can go purchase at a mall... it is a government travel document that the government has the right to not issue and even revoke. It is a travel privilege. Its amazing how you all will dish out $6,000 on a trip not knowing if you will even get your $97 passport in time or not.

• Ze
      19th of Jul, 2007

Totally agree that tickets should not be bought before getting the passport. However, if you do not have the tickets to show that you are going to travel within 14 days, they are not gonna process your application and they would not even want to talk to you. So, better off not traveling outside the US and not knowing what's going on in the other part of the world. This is a great attitude towards the American dream...

• Mi
      26th of Jul, 2007

My wife and son applied for passports more than 4 months before our trip to Rome. They're supposed to leave this week but have been told that the passports will likely not arrive in time, even though they've been classified as "urgent status." And the Manhattan office isn't taking appointments to expedite. A trip we've been planning for 9 months might not happen, and we'll be out over $2,500 in plane tickets. As if one needed another reason to be disgusted with the US government.

• He
      27th of Jul, 2007

I have been waiting for the passport for my daughter (16 months old now). And, it's been 4 months since the application. Even if she gets the passport now, the length of time waiting for her passport would be about one fourth of the time she has lived in this world. Gee, I could really see how important this document is!
    When we applied, we were told we have plenty of time. And, now, we already postponed our trip to China once. Looks like we need to postpone again.

I tried to be as neutral as possible when looking at this mess. But, I was disappointed again and again. I feel totally helpless. And, I really do not know how to reconcile this with the reputation of America being a place of efficiency.

• Me
      15th of Feb, 2011

been waiting for my passport over 2 years

• El
      31st of Dec, 2015

The passport office in my city is appointment only. I've been trying to get a appointment for two weeks. Someone from the passort office keeps leaving me a message saying if I still need a appointment for my son to call them back. I can't get anyone on the phone with the scheduling office. This ridiculous!