US Passport Agency / tips when calling!

Theses suggestions by no means will get your passport faster, but it does help you to connect to an operator a bit easier. I've been calling 2-3 times a week for the last month in order to try an expedite my passport. It still does not have a batch number.

Anyway, when calling the 1-877 number that everyone in the country has to call you will be told to press "1" to get the instructions in English. After that will be about 2 minutes worth of information that is largely unnecessary if you've called before.

To skip all of this information and go directly to the main menu, press "8". You can choose something in the menu, "3" being the choice for checking the status of your passport. Or you can wait until the menu selections are complete. After they complete simply staying on the line is basically the same thing as choosing "3", you get forwarded to an operator.

However, after being told by a disembodied voice how important you are and to please stay on the line, you will most likely get a message that sounds something like "Due to high call volumes all representatives are busy assisting other customers . . ." At this point, before the Voice is done talking, hit "9". This will take you back to the main menu and cycle through again.

Now, I have sat on the phone choosing "9" for up to 20 minutes, but eventually I'm connected to an agency and then put on hold. This procedure by no means makes the whole process better, but it does save you a lot of time while trying to connect.

So, to review, 1-for English, 8-to go directly to the menu, 9-saves you from being cut off and having to go through the whole thing again.

I hope this helps a bit.

Comments

Ch
  29th of May, 2007

Great tip, thank you!

Ro
  31st of May, 2007

I too have called the passport office several times. I applied in early March and still have not received my passport. My husband applied at the same time and has already received his. The processing place makes a difference. I wanted to pass along a tip. If you call your Congressman/woman they have people that can tell you where your passport is. They can also request an expedite for you if you are traveling. They can re-check their request in 3-4 days. I also found out that you do not have to have an appointment at the local passport office if you have an itinerary. You can simply show up at the local passport office 3 days prior to departure and stay until they issue your passport. I asked the Congressman why they do no change their message on the phone/web-site, they are pushing to have this done because the messages are misleading, un-helpful, and false. Ask your Congressman to fix this too, for other weary travelers!

Os
  7th of Jun, 2007

Michael Hauser !!! Thanks for this tricke ! :) Finally I got them! But they didn't tell me nothing about my application status !!! :(

I applied March 15 for a passport and still waiting !!! My DEPARTURE DATE : 06/10/2007

Je
  20th of Jun, 2007

Are you sure. I don't mean to doubt your advice I am just really scared of missing my trip. Wish me luck. Thanks!!!