U.S. Department of Education / BEWARE OF Scheduled Payment Feature
I am currently in repayment of my loans from here and just this month decided to use their Scheduled Payment feature. Although i did change the date from the payment being deducted on the 26th of this month to another date earlier, (making sure to go in and cancel the payment scheduled for the previous date) as i was going through my bank account today i found out they had charged me (again) for the due date i had already cancelled!
As i am a college student and working part-time, i sort of have to live a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle, and this unnecessary deduction of $100 broke my account to negative. Thus now i will have to worry about my bank slapping me with an overdraft fee on top of all this!
I did contact Direct Loans and tell them what had happened. They told me that they could not give me a refund and that i would have to call up my bank and order a stop payment.
So i hung up the phone, called my bank, and my bank tells me that they can't put a stop payment on that $100 because it was coming through electronically! Instead, what i will have to do is wait for the pending $100 fee that Direct Loans charged me to clear first, and THEN i would have to go to the CLAIMS DEPT. of my bank and file a CLAIM and everyone knows that is just a hassle of waiting, back and forth, and really takes a toll on the little free time i have. Not to mention i plan out the little money i get from my paychecks to the T and now i'm going to have to suffer (no food, no gas, etc.) everyday for a WEEK until i get my next paycheck or until i get the money they owe me put back in my bank.
So thanks a lot Direct Loans. Being a government lender i would have expected better, more accurate and fool-proof operating but i guess no one has bothered looking into the glitches and holes your website and "services" offer. Being that you are a (Federal) financial lender and dealing with people's MONEY, i would have expected a safer, more accurate operating system. As my experience proved, your mistakes with our money can cause some rather unfavorable financial setbacks. I really hope you guys get your flimsy systems fixed.
More U.S. Department of Education Complaints & Reviews
- US Department of Education - Faulty loan records! 
- U.S. Department of Education - Horrible Loan Consolidation Service 
- US Department of Education - Americorps stipend!
- U.S. Department of Education - Interest outstanding balance
- US Department of Education - Fraudulent billing
- U.S. Department of Education - Continued attempt to ignore factual basis 
- US Department of Education - School loan payments
- US Department of Education - Incompetent Help 
- U.S. Department of Education - Misapplication of Loan Payments
- U.S. Department of Education - Workers Lie and Do Not Do Their Job/Delay in Consolidation-no good reason given