U.S. Department of Education Logo

U.S. Department of Education

Having problems with U.S. Department of Education?

+1 800 872 5327 (General Information)
+1 202 401 2000 (Information Resource Center (D.C. Metro Area)
+1 800 433 3243 (Federal Student Aid Information Center)
+1 800 621 3115 (Defaulted Loans)
+1 800 557 7392 (Loan Consolidation)
+1 800 647 8733 (Fraud, Waste & Abuse Hotline)
+1 877 433 7827 (Education Publications Center (ED Pubs)
+1 800 538 3742 (Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC)
+1 800 421 3481 (Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, District of Columbia
United States - 20202
Potomac Center Plaza (PCP)
550 12th Street, SW, Washington, DC 20202

L'Enfant Plaza
490 L'Enfant Plaza, SW, Room 2100A, Washington, DC 20202

Complaints & Reviews

offset of income tax

Recently my entire tax refund was used to pay on my student loans. My wages have been garnished for those loans and I was entering into Loan Rehabilitation through National Recovery Agency. I requested a hearing and have been granted a hardship suspension. While I do recognize this debt, the funds that were taken from me have also caused a hardship. It may not have caused such a great hardship, if a percentage was taken but I have household bills that I was waiting on those funds to pay off. Now I am delinquent and don't know how I am going to take care of these bills. One of my bills that has a March 9, 2020 deadline is for $1, 300.00 and I don't know where I am going to get the funds to pay that. I could ultimately lose the deposit I've already paid to secure the deferred amount of this balance. This offset has greatly diminished my ability to pay my bills for this month and I will continue to have to rearrange other bill payments that I may not be able to afford. This practice of taking people's money before knowing what their financial situation is deplorable. I have a fixed income and my money is budgeted for all of my bills however my anticipated tax refund was figured into those bills but it was all for naught since this offset took all of my anticipated funds.

Account #[protected]

I am complaining about being mislead by admissions staff of capella university

In 2015, I received a call from a staff of Capella University and was mislead to believe that my credit hours from the University of Phoenix would be transferred toward completion of their Ph.D. program. I have been paying money since 2015 with a GPA of 4.0 only to find out at this point that I may not be able to complete a Ph.D. at Capella. At Capella, we are required to attend three residencies to graduate. I just attended my second residency where I completed all the requirements only to be told that I was given a non-satisfactory without a review of submitted assignments and no feedback was provided as to why. I had already reached out to the residency facilitator and was advised that the Ph.D. topic should be endorsed ( I have emails to show). I feel like Capella Univesity has swindled my money from me since 2015 based on misleading information provided to me by the admissions coordinator. I thought that I was going to school to learn how to become a researcher and not be taken advantage of. I am now 66 yrs old and feel like I have been taken advantage of. please advise and help

deception with employees

Last week supervisors Myeisha and Alicia told me that they had call Department of Defense to check to see if I was an active duty soldier. The respond was they told me that you wasnt actve duty you were just enlisted. I have been sending emails to the department of education and the proof of me being active duty to receive a refund back of unknowingly taking my tax refund when i was indeed out of country and on active duty status to not receive mail. All other documents that were received were received by email now its not working and they cant pull up the form from the Department of Defense I have been trying to prove this as fault of Department of Education since April my first response back was in July. I got a list of numbers about my account none that have yet to add up to the amount that was taken from me without my knowledge. Please I honestly sick and tired of the run around and not getting any reliable effective help.

[Resolved] transcript accuracy

To Whom It May Concern:

This is in regard to an unreconciled concern regarding a transcript reporting error through Northwestern University, Feinberg School of medicine, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Prosthetics & Orthotics (NUPOC).

An account has been given, as follows:

16 Apr 2019 - submitted requested for an official transcript was cancelled through NU's transcript request interface, Parchment. I was advised to go through the program department (NUPOC) for a copy of my transcript.

18 Apr 2019 - NUPOC confirmed that for all certificate programs, transcripts were to be processed through them and that a transcript would be created and sent by surface mail to my home address.

27 Apr 2019 - received the transcript; sent an e-mail to NUPOC challenging the accuracy of the transcipts. There were errors in grades and coursework.

28 Apr 2019 - NUPOC responded saying that they could not change the grades but could adjust the coursework inaccuracies.

29 Apr 2019 - escalated challenge to inaccurate transcripts to Department Director, J. Chad Duncan, Phd, CPO, CRC. He immediately responded to my inquiry and asked to schedule a phone call to discuss the particulars.

3 May 2019 - discussed my concerns with Dr. Duncan by phone. He agreed that the errors I had identified were correct after confirming with one of my prior professors. He asked for what purpose I needed the transcript. I indicated that I keep transcripts of all my training on hand. I did not have an urgent need to have a copy on hand, but may need a copy of the transcript if / when returning for additional training. He said that my complaint wasn't the first. He mentioned that it was complicated. Lots of paper work to sift through, with details stored on a spreadsheet. He said asked that I keep in touch frequently to ensure the issue stayed fresh on his mind. No ETA on solving was provided.

Follow-up continued by e-mail on: 20 May, 13 June, 12 July, and 1 Aug. During all of these inquiries, no progress was reported. Consistent in responses included such statements as: "still going through mounds of paperwork", "having to go through thousands of files to try to locate the correct materials", and "currently chin deep in files trying to find your information".

I have absolutely no confidence that the issue will be resolved. Subsequent follow-up response time continues to be less immediate. In truth, outcome resolution has been completely unprofessional. How can this institution benefit from government funding if it cannot render an accurate account of student performance and completion of required coursework? I have attached the e-mail thread for your review and consideration. Please feel free to reach my by e-mail or phone.

Nathan Gile

nathan.[protected]@gmail.com
321.877.8685

RESOLVED

Incorrectly routed.

intrusion

I have had my course study Medical Insurance Billing and Coding restructured with non required material. The...

brookline college loan debt

Hello my name is Elizabeth Barragan I am having trouble finding out about a school loan they say i have with...

student loan

My wife and myself have made several attempts to resolve a fraudulent student loan that was filed by uei...

Continued attempt to ignore factual basis

On e. Promissory note of 360 dollars for a tour of a school. Two. The collection of a Pell grant when student...

robbery

The U.S. Department of Education is a governmental scam. I Advise anybody thinking of going to school to...

Fraudulent billing

In [protected] I went to grad school. I borrowed approx [protected].00. I paid back the loans and extra @13...

School loan payments

US Department of Education has not applied my December 2011 payment to my account. They have cashed my check (electronically) on December 19, 2011 but will not apply it to my account. It now shows I am delinquent which is incorrect. I have made all of my payments on time. I have spoken with several customer service representatives and two supervisors, all apologizing and stating they will correct this error. Nothing has been done and I feel I am getting no where with these people! I work hard and strive to have great credit and I don't want this held against me.

Incompetent Help

I have recently started repaying my Federal student loans, as a result I had to submit tax returns and additional documentation. I first submitted all of the required paperwork by mail in June, 2011 by the deadline they gave me. In July, I received a letter telling me they never received my documentation. I then faxed the information to them in July, 2011. In August, I received another letter stating they did not receive all of my information, so I again faxed AND mailed the information to the office in Texas. As a result of getting my information, they informed me my payment would go from $167 to $777 due to my joint filing of taxes with my husband. My husband also has a significant amount of debt with Direct Loans as well, he actually has more debt than me. So, I called and spoke with a representative and explained that I didn't understand that I sent in the very same information for my husband's account and his payment was the calculated to be $224/mo and how could mine be $777 when I have less debt and only make $3000 more than him a year. At that point, the representative told me that they would link my husband's account and my account together to show our joint debt owed to Direct Loans and that would mean that my payment would be $320 and my husband's would be $480 a month. The representative said she would put both of our accounts on forbearance until this was all confirmed. This was in August, 2011. Yesterday, September 22nd, 2011, my husband received a letter from Direct Loans stating that his payment will be $470/mo. I then went online to check my payment amount, it said my payment was now $666/mo. Again, this made no sense to me so I called today (September 23rd, 2011) and spoke with a new representative Ashley, she told me that they had no record of my husband having any debt with them and that the $666/mo payment was correct. I then explained to her my last conversation with a representative at Direct Loans and she said that that woman did not submit the correct information into my account, yet she did for my husband's account. So, it was all set with my husband's account but nothing was recorded on mine. So, Ashley said she has to now submit the information to the correct department to get my payment corrected. I am now on another month's forbearance for Direct Loans to figure out what they did wrong. This all started in May 2011 with me submitting the correct information initially, but Direct Loans misplacing it and now we are entering October 2011 after 3 faxes, 2 mailings and at least 7 calls and still nothing is correct with my account. I am now 6 months pregnant and have been stressed out solely due to Direct Loans for my entire pregnancy. How is it that I have done everything requested of me and yet no one seems to be able to do their job correctly at Direct Loans.

• Me
    meg palmer Dec 16, 2011

I had had very similar experience with them! I am now waiting 4 months for them to process paperwork. They cant tell me when this will get done, or why is it taking so long. I am stuck paying a higher amount, since I dont want to forbear as I am a public servant and want the month's credit towards my 10 years of credit. However, this is ridiculous. They have never contacted me, I call them to sort this out. They debited my account twice last month too, almost sending me underwater on my account. No explanation why this happened, either. I just want to pay the correct amount!

Misapplication of Loan Payments

This is a very valid complaint as I too have $475 in misapplied payments and after months of letter writing, conference calls with banks and the Direct Loan Customer Service, I have been conversing with them since June of 2010. I sent a letter to all the officials of the US Dept of Education Student Loan Board and not one individual has responded. The US Dept of Education has so many problems that they can't admit or have the decency to write. Cudahy, WI

Workers Lie and Do Not Do Their Job/Delay in Consolidation-no good reason given

They continue to lie to us on the phone about the real status of our consolidation loans. First they tried to...

Horrible Loan Consolidation Service

I've been trying to consolidate my loan from ACS to Direct Loans since July 1st, when the new interest...

BEWARE OF Scheduled Payment Feature

I am currently in repayment of my loans from here and just this month decided to use their Scheduled Payment...

Usury, unagreed upon monthly repayment amounts

I was recently duped into signing a "consolidation" agreement with GC Services, a collection agent for the U.S. Department of Education, to repay an initial student loan amount of about $21, 000 from [protected]. The original amount of the loan, with accrued interest, has now become $63, 000, THREE TIMES the amount of the original principal. During the subsequent years, I spent some time in prison and was unable to repay the amounts of the loans. I entered into this agreement with GC to repay $50.00 FIFTY DOLLARS per month (income contingent), and a week after signing the agreement, received statements from GC indicating that my loan had suddenly gone to $90, 000!!! I rang them and told them I was instructed not to pay them, but to await word from Direct Loans, a billing agency for the U.S. Department of Education, after my loan consolodation had been processed.

I received the first loan payment statement and the monthly amount is $620.0!!! I NEVER agreed to this, and the repayment schedules the Department of Education sent me indicate that the payoff amount will be over $214, 000!!! How can this possible be legan under ANY definition of the law?? That makes my repayment of a $21, 000 loan 10 times the amount I borrowed!! Secondly, the U.S. Department of Education states that your repayment amounts shall not exceed 20% of your gross monthly income, yet this $620.00 payment is in excess of 33% of my monthly income of $12/hour!! I would be taken to court for not being able to make the payments, and they indicate that I am NOT eligible for a forbearance.

Can anyone assist? I am contacting this agency, as well as the U.S. Attorney General's Office, the Congressional Oversight Committee and local attorneys, whose services I can NOT afford, in an effort to stop this thievery.

Americorps stipend!

I received an Americorps award in the fall of 2005. I then submitted paperwork to Direct Loans, US Department of Education to have my award check given to them towards my loan. In February, 2006 the award appeared in my Direct Loan account as coming through... but then in November 2007 it disappeared! I didn't hear why or how or anything, it was simply gone. Because the award money went towards my March 2006 payment, with it deleted from my account I became a delinquent claiming I never paid that month. I finally learn now in March 2008 - Direct Loans never filled out their section of the paperwork properly when it was sent to Americrops for the payment. The problem persists. Americorps claims they paid Direct Loans and Direct Loans insists they do not have a check with my name on it from them. Nobody will help resolve the problem. I speak to both sides at least a couple times a week to no avail. I am completely at loss. I just want the money in my account and to be done with this whole fiasco.

Faulty loan records!

I repaid my college student loan in one lump sum payment within the first year after I graduated and before...

Interest outstanding balance

I received a call from G.C. Services stating that they are contracted by the Department of Education to collect on the interest of a Bankruptcy from over 20 years ago.

Even though when I spoke to a very helpful young lady, my questions are still having a puzzling answer.

I fill bankruptcy more than about 20 years ago for an amount the was due to the Department of Education which included the interest amount. I was never informed that some 20 years later that the Department of Education could keep sending my name to various collection agencies to collect on the interest.

To make matters worst, the young lady stated to me that if I make 9-12 monthly payments into "Rehab Program", then the original amount that was due to the Dept. of Ed would be paid by another loan company and I then would have to pay the other loan company for the amount that they paid out to the Dept. Of Ed. Why???

I want to straighten this matter out. It is bad enough that every year for the last 3-4 years my tax returns go to the Dept. Of Ed. to go against the outstanding interest which was part of the orginial bankruptcy amount.