United States Postal Service / homophobia/sexual harassment/racial discrimination

1 Huntsville, AL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 256-721-9263

I’m an African-American Lesbian and I’ve worked for the United States Postal Service since July of 2005. I’m a veteran of the Army and the Navy. I have a good attendance record and I’m never late for work. I’ve been subjected to sexual harassment, racial discrimination and harassment because of my sexual orientation. On May 16, 2008, I was working in the registry cage. It’s an actual cage. A Caucasian female co-worker walked up to me and said, “You workin’ in the cage tonite?” I replied, “Yes.” She said, “You got you a banana?” I said, “No.” I’m frowned up at this point because I know where this is going. She then said, “Well you know if you gone be a monkey in a cage you need yourself a banana; they didn’t tell you that?” I said, “No.” I walked away in shock. That was a blatant racial slur. Was she trying to provoke me? Did she want me to strangle her so that I could get put off the clock maybe even losing my job and going to jail? It was reported to management and nothing was done as usual. I’m currently waiting for the EEOC to set up a date/time for REDRESS mediation. I’m sure I’ll find no relief through this procedure because I’m seeking monetary damages. I believe this matter deserves national attention because the Good Ole Boys are notorious for sweeping these matters under the carpet and then retaliating against anyone that complains. I’m currently seeing a therapist to help me work through this matter. However, it’s not working so I’ve opted for Cymbalta for the time being. I’m surrounded by sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigots.

At my wits end

Huntsville, AL

Comments

• Mr
      24th of Jul, 2008

U DON'T NEED A COUNSELOR OR CYMBALTA. U NEED A SAVIOR AND HIS NAME IS JESUS.

• Ji
      10th of Oct, 2008

Complain y to your superiors and keep recrds of what you do.
    Your colleague's remark is racist and sexual -- totally uncool. You have a right to be upset. I'm neither black nor gay -- just white and married and born with some physical challengeI s. grew up in a place where your colleague would've learnedat an early age to NEVER say such a thing like she said to you., lest she have a very good dentist or good medical coverage. That's how things were handled where I grew up. It taught you the value of respecting other people who were different than you.
    Stay peaceful -- a valueable thing I learned when kids picked on me for being different than them. Peace will be your be your best ally. She's just looking for a fight. By not giving her a fight, she won't get what she wants and be frustrated.
    Sounds silly to equate your colleague's behavior to a grade school playyard, but that's what you're dealing with -- a sad tomato who never grew up.