Ulta / I will never shop with ulta again

United States Review updated:

Three days ago, I tried to place a simple online order that consisted of a hair straightener and a free sample bag that was a special one-day deal. After going to the check-out, and hitting "submit, " an error popped up saying my transaction could not be completed. I checked and found out that not only had my sale NOT gone through, but my debit card had a "pending" charge. I called Ulta and the man on the phone told me that the pending charge would be wiped off my card within 72 hours, and to try again later. OK, that was fine. I tried one more time later that day, and got another error, and another pending charge to my account. Frustrated, I called back. A different sales rep logged in to my account to see if she could fix the problem. When she hit submit, she said the error popped up again. She said she would try again but I told her not to, as I did not want any more pending charges on my account because I wouldn't be able to touch that money until they were wiped off. And three days is a long time to not have access to over $100. I hung up, checked my account, and saw that the sales rep must have hit "submit" 4 more times, making my pending charges total $651!! I was furious. I called back and through the course of the next couple days, was transferred to probably a dozen people, several of which told me different things. Some claimed they were taking care of it, some claimed I had to wait the 72 hours or talk to my bank (which I did and my ban said I needed Ulta to fax them the info), and one sales rep even told me their IT department would void the sales immediately. They did not. I had to wait the full 72 hour before the funds were restored and I have bills to pay!! Not only did they inconvenience me greatly, but NOT A SINGLE SALE actually went through so I missed out on the special deals that were one-day-only. And the sales reps told me they were not authorized to give me a free voucher for the sales I missed out on. I am beyond furious with how untrustworthy their customer service is, and the fact that their web site did not allow me to make any purchases. I will never shop with Ulta again.

Comments

13th of Aug, 2010

I generally agree with your feelings. I have had issue with their online system and lack of response to service emails. I have had not had time to call them but I will try my luck on Monday and update with more info. and details about the situation.

• Le
      20th of Aug, 2010

My card was overcharged since one of the items was supposed to be on sale but it was out of stock so their system automatically charged me for the other items full price instead of the sale price. Now I have to wait up to 30 business days for a refund, hopefully it will not take that long.
    Best advice: CALL ulta.com customer service. Apparently they are too busy or short of staff to respond to their emails, but once I called them they took care of my issue within 24 hours. I will do business with them again but next time I may just go to the store.