Ty Ty Nursery / Sent me wrong items and didn't acknowledge complaint

I ordered RED azaleas and dogwood trees from TY TY Nursery. They sent pink and did not acknowledge my complaint. I sent 2 letters, my cancelled check and photos of the pink flowers. No we have a red tiled swimming pool with nasty PINK flowers around it. It looks awful. Unfortunately, with flowers you can’t see the colour till they bloom, you wait all spring and they bloom a different colour than you ordered. VERY disappointing. If I rip them put and send them back, I risk never seeing my money or new plants. What’s a person to do in this case?

Va

Comments

• Ti
      14th of Jun, 2009

Ty Ty Nursery has an utterly deplorable reputation in the gardening community. Do a search for "Ty Ty Nursery Complaint" in any search engine, and read the long sometimes colorful threads on many gardening messageboards. You will begin to get an idea how this company typically operates. It has gotten so bad that many individuals do not even mail-order from GA anymore-- simply to avoid the many affiliate companies under different names, all with service equally as rude and incompetent.

My personal experience with Ty Ty nursery back in 2004 was just utterly ridiculous. My 4 plants were shipped LOOSE, sliding around in the triangle box, getting beaten up and broken during transit. I received them and all 4 items died within a week, despite my horticultural expertise. I contacted Ty Ty Nursery about replacement / refund and they demanded I ship back the dead plants to them. Then they said I had to pay an additional 25% of my original order to cover replacement shipping...? Obviously, all of this was caused by negligent shipping on their part. I had in essence already paid for "careful shipping" as advertised on their website. I never received the service I had paid for. What I got was negligent, incompetent shipping-- 4 tender plants, bare-root, thrown loose into a box. They died. What does the company expect? It's terrible business practice to place any responsibility on the customer -- see Retail : 101.

I described to them these exact circumstances, I even had pictures to send them if need be. Instead of initiating any kind of customer retention measure, they instead argued with me saying I was "being uncompliant" with their replacement policies. I refuted this stupidity, and they came back at me with "your plants were shipped outside their designated climate zone, so they're not covered" (it was summer and climate was not a factor). It went on like this for three letters back & forth to a uniquely defensive and shamefully anti-customer manager named "Rick."

Even after filing with the BBB, they did not issue a refund. Only another rude letter. Needless to say, I never saw that money again. I, like many others, have simply taken to discouraging people from buying at Ty Ty Nursery whenever it comes up. In the gardening community today, getting ripped of by Ty Ty Nursery is kind of a harsh "rite of passage" into the hobby of serious plant collecting. Almost everybody does it, and then never buys there again. We can only spread the word, and hope that future victims hear our loud complaints.

Sooner or later, the company will have clean up their act... or there won't be any more customers for them to rip off.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

ATTN:: Ty Ty Nursery representatives / employees:

This above commentary is my personal opinion, in a open public forum. I hereby invoke my constitutionally protected right to freedom of speech, should any Ty Ty employee happen to read this. This opinion is not in any way affiliated creators and moderators of this website. As my opinion, based on my frustrating experience, genuine in all factual details, it shall not be construed as libel, or slander. I am well aware of my rights.