Town Fair Tire / poor service, damage, incompetence

1 Salem, NH, United States Review updated:

Went to the Salem, NH, Town Fair Tire on Friday, Dec. 3rd, 2010 to have 4 new wheels & snow tires mounted on my wife's 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe. Dropped off vehicle around 12:30pm, and was called that it was ready at around 5pm. (Someone, I think the manager Chris, was yelling at the person to STOP! - the person talking was translating for the person in the background and told us to come and get the vehicle - it was ready.) So, my wife and I drove down and after about a 10-minute wait someone named Justin came up to serve us. I asked if the car was ready and he said "I don't know where to begin". I had gone to Town Fair against my better judgment as I have had nothing but problems with them in the past. I bought a set of studded snow tires for my '98 Durango from them. The tires work great; the problem is every time I tell them to rotate them they don't. (4 times in a row now) When I had them do an alignment on it the steering wheel was cut 70 degrees to the left. Chris, the manager told me that my "rear wheels were off". The Durango has a solid rear axle, and has never been in accident, so this statement is impossible. So I took it to Sears (paid another $69.95) and they aligned it perfectly and the guy that did it stated that "Town Fair Tire only adjusts the Toe, nothing else. They are just Toe & Go." To get back to my wife's vehicle - it was not ready because they put the new tires on the old rims and that is the condition it was in when we arrived. I exploded at Justin (raising my voice a little - no profanity involved but everyone in the store knew I was furious), informed him of all the above problems with them with my Durango, and told him to refund my money to my credit card and get us out of there. He did that, and wasn't snide but just very apologetic. He took my anger and refunded our money. The car would not be ready to pick up for another 20 minutes so my wife and I went home. They called that it was ready just as we were heading back. We picked it up and Chris, the manager was there and tried to apologize. I told him I was too angry to speak - and he shouted "OK - have a GREAT evening" with a big sarcastic smile. Furthermore, the vehicle only had 3300 miles on it so we told them NOT to align it. Chris wrote this on the work order. So guess what? They aligned it saying it was "a little off." Now, I have to being it back to Salem Hyundai to be aligned again as they are not competent to do alignments. Furthermore, when I took my impact wrench to re-torque the lug nuts, I found that they had scratched every lug nut well on the vehicle when they had removed the wheels. Now, we have 4 scratched wheels and a mis-aligned vehicle that is going to cost us to repair. My advice would be to go to Tire Warhouse instead, I've had them do work on my F-350 and they were much more competent and did not damage my wheels. I will NEVER use Town Fair Tire again for anything. I wouldn't trust them to screw the lid on a jar of peanut butter. My wife has a very busy job and had to take a day off to do this. Now I have to take a day off to take care of it and wait while they do it right at Tire Warehouse. Town Fair Tire should pay us for the alignment, 4 new wheels and our pay we lose for taking a day off. One of the worst experiences I've ever had at any retailer. (Not to mention that now I must do my winter tire changeover on my Durango myself which TFT is supposed to do free for life - I have a bad back, bursitis in my right shoulder and am on heart medications. That's why I paid someone else to do it - but am now screwed.)

Comments

11th of Mar, 2011

TFT has the worst service anywhere - they treat their customer like crap