Town Fair Tire / terrible service &pricing scam

1 North Haven, CT, United States Review updated:

Second rate tires, alone, are a buy but add-ons and service charges bring the price up to average. Do not be fooled... "free" alignment really means quick shoddy work which will mean many trips to the store for correction, or expensive work at a decent garage. Workmen are not allowed to make more than a single adjustment, even though it would only take another 5 minutes. Balancing is done on a machine any assistant mechanic could use, but the workers can't be bothered unless the manager stands behind them. Unless you want to spend hours waiting for shoddy work, as I had to, spend a little more than their come-on price so you can walk away satisfied. Town Fair's final price isn't any better and the service is terrible.

Bi

Comments

• Ll
      25th of Dec, 2009

Do your homework and be prepared for a major run-around when you deal with the store located in Salem N.H. When the company's web site advertisement says "We Beat The Internet Competion" don't expect the process to be a seamless one. I have purchase 4 sets of tires for 3 cars I own and each experience comes with new twists and turns during the process. When you go in with the documentation that you printed from a competitor's web site, they start with the "nickel and dime" scenario saying there is a charge for this and a charge for that. They try to force their 4 wheel alignment on you and seem to be put off when you politely refuse. Just recently I made an internet appointment to have tires put on my son's car. I confirmed the appointment the day before. When he showed up they said he did not have an appointment. That prompted a call to me from my son which resulted in a short but stern converstion with the sales associate. Miraculously they found the reservation. Five minutes later my son called again and said the cost had gone from $440.00 to $500.00. Once again I had to educate the guy who insisted there was a charge for the front end alignment. He admitted he charged for a 4 wheel alignment without asking if I wanted it. Long story short...do you homework but be prepared to do battle.

• Da
      5th of Sep, 2010

I went the town fair tire in Concord NH expecting the "best prices, beat all competition" treatment as well. I brought my 2 1/2 year old daughter with me. We purchased 2 front tires at 150 dollar total and was also told we needed to purchase a warranty package and a 4 wheel allignment. If you go back and read their adds it say free add on including a "2 WHEEL" allignment so I'm guessing they get everyone in there and tell them they need a "4 wheel" allighnment and the upsell on the Warranty. My advise is do your homework and say no the upselling. My 2 tires came to $252.00 which after all is said and done I would have preferred a professional mechanic and or dealership to have done it and it probably would have cost the same or less with a promotion.
    Now my tires sound like they are going to fall off and its only been 3 weeks..You best believe I'm going back for that "30 day guarantee" lets see if the 30 day guarantee is only for "Weekdays" or something?

DO you homework, take your time and ask a lot of questions, don't let them rush you into a decision like they did me with a 2 1/2 year old on hand.