Toshiba Satellite A135-s2276 / toshiba computers disregards lemon product issues

United States Review updated:

The clock has never kept time properly. In June 2007 I suffered a randomly generated BIOS password that caused the system to be unbootable. On September 3, 2007, I first started having critical issues with this computer. Windows Vista described this problem with a code named "Blue Screen." Apparently the computer had spontaneously rebooted itself due to some unexpected error. On September 9, 2007, the hard drive in my Toshiba notebook computer crashed. They installed a new hard drive and a new motherboard. On November 27, 2007, the USB ports were not working. The computer had another motherboard put in, as well as a new USB board. The computer is exhibiting the same symptoms tonight that it did just before having the second motherboard and USB board replaced. After several hours on hold I finally spoke with a "Customer Relations Agent." I again explained my situation and was again cited the company policy about exchanges. When I related to her the repair history of my computer, she said that it "is not rare" for one of their computers to have multiple major system components replaced within the first year. After spouting off several threats, I was hung up on by this "Customer Relations Agent."I would like this computer replaced.
Va

Comments

Sa
  5th of Jun, 2008
Hi: Just came across your complaint and am amazed at how much your situation fits mine.
I am just now trying to have the USB board replaced. I am just 2 months out of the one year warranty and have been advised by Toshiba in Louisville that the board with labor will cost $425. May well buy new for that. Sorry you are having the problems also. This is the first and only time I will buy a Toshiba product. I have always had good luck with HP, but my husband bought me this laptop as a surprise and didn't ask my preference...Oh Well...
Da
  28th of Aug, 2008
I had the exact same problem and it died one month after the warranty was up and in the middle of the final draft of my master's thesis. The clock never kept accurate time, the usb port went out and then the motherboard crashed. Total crap. I will NEVER buy another Toshiba.
Ke
  15th of Sep, 2008
Hey,
Im in the exact same boat as you guys. Bought the laptop in February 2007 at CircuitCity and a month later I also got the randomly BIOS password window after the computer stopped responding. Toshiba certifiers in Culver City said that it was a software issue and not hardware, therefor the warranty didnt cover it. So I had to pay $80 with my own cash to get it fix.

Then later in spring of 2008 I got my systemboard replaced, because after another crash it apparently fried the systemboard. Now today it needs to be replaced again after it crashed again. Last time it happend it was under warranty, thank god. But this time the warranty wont cover it, because its over a year since I bought it. The Toshiba certifiers here in Dublin wants just 100 euros for looking at the laptop. Last time they also needed to order the new systemboard from the US, so that will cost me an arm and a leg. They also informed me that a new systemboard would probably cost around 200-250 euros. So in total, Im looking at 300-400 euros for repairment costs.

Bought the laptop in Februari 2007 at CircuitCity, now its September 2008 and the laptop needs technical assistant for the third time, otherwise its completely useless. The laptop has only been used pretty much for school purposes and apparently thats too much to ask for from it.

Never EVER again will I buy Toshiba and I'm going to make it my goal in life to spread that word to everyone else.
Ti
  5th of Oct, 2008
Also got my Toshiba Satellite in Feb. of 07 and much like most of these incidents mine has had to have the mainboard replaced repeatedly. USB's go out BIOS password issues, crashes once again like clockwork once the warranty expires (which by the way is the only timing this thing had) yada- yada. For Pete's sake i hope everyone who is shopping for a laptop gets to hear just how useless a Toshiba is because as far as im concerned the piles my cat makes in the litter box are more useful than my Toshiba now !
Pa
  16th of Nov, 2008
Toshiba Satellite A135-S2276
This computer is terrible. I had sent this computer 2 times to Toshiba. Both times there were motherboard problems so they replaced them for free because I was under the warranty. But now I don't have warranty anymore and now I don't know what to do...
Sp
  21st of Jan, 2009
Completely agree. This is the 4th time mine dies. Of course now out of warranty. Is there a way to put this manufacture responsible for faulty products and make them replace these products or better yet return the money? I certainly wish to bring this to the public so NOBODY buys another Toshiba again
Ma
  25th of Mar, 2009
i have the same problem . i have my motherboard replaced and it cost me a fortune. i felt sorry for buying toshiba A135 i hope i'll find someone help me to buy a new dell unit
Jo
  26th of Mar, 2009
My USB Ports started to not recognize my devices about a week ago. Vista froze while copying files to a flash drive. I thought it was a driver problem at first but I've tried every windows based fix I could find with no results. So I'm guessing I'm with you guys in saying its a hardware problem. Of course we're all out of warranty. If a company made a laptop that could last 10 years though they'd probably go out of business. It's called Cyclical Consumption. Means everything comes with an expiration date so we can go out and buy another one. I'm boycotting Toshiba. Pfft.
Kr
  8th of Apr, 2009
I bought my Toshiba laptop in December of 2007 and since then it has crashed 3 times, the DVD player quit working, half the USB ports don't work anymore, and now it makes a horrible clicking and nails-on-a-chalkboard sound almost constantly, even when I am not using it but it is still on. I used it for about 4 months without problems, until one day I had it playing music on my desk and it just shut off, and wouldn't turn back on again. After taking it to the Office Depot I bought it at with no help, Best Buy (paying around $200 for them to do nothing to it for 2 weeks), and finally a Toshiba center for another 2 weeks, they charged me another hundred dollars (even though I was under warranty) for repairs, when all they did was reset my computer with the support disc. Not a month after that, it crashed again, and I had to use the disc again, but all of my Spyware software had been deleted, so I had to spend money on another update of that. Three months later, it happened again. And now its still making that incessant clicking/scraping sound and this morning it took me 2 hours to get my computer up and running.

I've talked to many people who own Toshibas, in my classes and as friends of friends, and these computers are rare in the first place, but every single owner I've talked to has had issues with their Toshiba crashing soon after purchase and they have had to get it repaired at least once. EVERY PERSON.

Honestly, I would never ever EVER buy a Toshiba computer ever again. Its been a huge regret ever since the first time it started acting up, and I've spent so much money on repairs and replacements that I should have just bought a decent computer for a little more money in the first place.

If anyone reads this forum because they're thinking about purchasing one of these computers: DON'T!
Ch
  3rd of Jun, 2009
I was just looking for a solution to my Toshiba A135 bla bal bal, when I bump into this site. I think i will name the laptop Toshiba Mistake. Mine started with my usb ports stopped working and it was not up to 3 month I bought, but based on where I come from (Third World) Nigeria there was nothing I could do. So I decided to manage the Toshiba Mistake, but after a while I felt the laptop was useless to me because I can't do anything with it. I now tried to upgrade from Bios v 1.4 to V1.6 and that was the biggest mistake I made. The system developed series of problem, from hanging to blue screen error and before I could say Jack Robinson the laptop stopped booting. it only shows the Toshiba at Start-up when it likes and some times it will go as far as try to do recovery with the Recovery and Application / Driver disc. but it keeps hanging or tells me that there is a hard ware failure. I know the board is bad. I will just buy a new board and give it out as a gift. Thanks Toshiba but You will never see me again
Na
  3rd of Jul, 2009
I will not buy anymore products from toshiba.I bought a satellite A135-s2286 and since new it gave me problems with display, it freezed alot, Then the bios crash and it started to apear a screen for a password, I send it to a repair they fixed it, and then it gave me problems with usb, and then it apeared a blue screen and turn off itself, Now the usb ports are not working all of them, i bought a pcmcia to usb cardbus and it worked fine so that i could connect my external hdd to the laptop, but then the pcmcia adapter started to malfunction to... and now the pc is with no usb, no pcmcia adapter(where you put the cardbus pcmcia device) and it shows blue screen and turns itself off .And the other thing is that i cant buy a new laptop right now im broke... If i could buy a new one it would be an HP, SONY or Samsung. But toshiba no more, toshiba is a waste of money.Even my neighbor has a toshiba satellite like mine and right now it is not working either.At least mine turns on for some minutes...
Na
  9th of Jul, 2009
Here i am Again and now i am so piss off i made this:
Ki
  13th of Jul, 2009
I have a135-s2276 toshiba sattellite, all the claim above is true...

I have already sold mine as spare parts to others since together its not working. Repaired twice in six month, then it started with not to recognise usb, then got very hot like car engine it stuck later then it wont starts then checked motherboard failed.

I think they are doing a very good biznez - cyclical consumption issue. I might go to learn their way of doing biznes.

TOshiba lost me as their customer forever!!
Ta
  20th of Nov, 2009
Toshiba A135-S2276 Hasn't worked correctly since i purchased it new in Mar.07, There has to be a way to make Toshiba replace these pieces of junk
Fi
  24th of Nov, 2009
I have just received a friend's Toshiba A135-S2276 purchased March 07, and I originally thought the hard drive went bad. After further inspection I believe it is the motherboard. I was able to finagle it enough to get into the BIOS once, and as I arrowed down a few times within the BIOS the computer took on a life of its own; I stopped arrowing and the cursor continued to move all around, left and right, up and down, and the computer began beeping before locking up in the BIOS. It was as though water had been spilled on the keyboard/internals.

Several other times I tried to boot it I shook the machine before powering it on and it semi-booted.

Most of the time when I attempt to boot it the screen just stays black. The fan and HD do power up though.

If the unit sits overnight I will generally get 1 good boot into Windows, then it locks up before I can do anything in Windows.

There is no evidence of water being spilled on the unit other than the odd and unpredictable behavior. No evidence of abuse of the unit.

After Googling Satellite A135, I am going to have to rest my case that the MB has failed and since the laptop is out of warranty (1 year), it is now a big paperweight.
Jm
  24th of Jan, 2010
I purchased my a135-s2276 in March 2007 and well and have been experienced all of the above issues as soon as the warranty ended. It stopped working correctly after 6 month starting with USB going from slow to not working at all. I will NEVER purchase a Toshiba product of any sort if I can help it ever again.
Sm
  31st of Jan, 2010
I have the same laptop a135-S2276 motherboard is toast. It has been plagued with issues from day one. Toshiba should refund everyone of us.
Bi
  7th of Mar, 2010
we should see about a class action lawsuit to at least get a refund of the purchase price on these clunkers
Ho
  10th of Apr, 2010
My son bought an A135-S2356 from Circuit City. Same symptoms/failure. The only way companies the size of Toshiba learn is to sue. What's is take to organize a class action?
Be
  14th of Apr, 2010
I too am experiencing problems with my Toshiba laptop. I purchased a Satellite A75-S213 back in July of 2005. I bought 2 HP laptops for family members one on this same date and another prior to this purchase. Their laptops are running fine and have been used extensively for college and a business. My Toshiba was seldom used the first few years of ownership and until recently when my ancient desktop HP was becoming obsolete, I seldom used this laptop. Since increased usage began in 2009, I have had issues with my computer jumping around for no reason and the computer shutting down at random.

I have checked online and found others have experienced this same problem. There was a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT that was filed and a court order that said Toshiba did not have to fix computers for this problem after November 7th, 2007. This is information that was given to me by Toshiba. They said I could check the website www.gardencitygroup.com to find out more information. I will check it out to see what can be done. When I complained to Toshiba that I was never notified of the problem and therefore, did not send my computer in to get it fixed for potential issues, they told me I should have looked on their bulletin on their website to have learned about the issue and the law suit. Since I have never ran into computer problems like this before, I would have never thought about looking there to see if a company would honestly disclose that they were having issues. And I hardly think that they would have if it was not for a class action lawsuit.

I will never purchase a Toshiba product computer or otherwise again. I will also tell others about their products. Some of the problems I have looked at on this site seem to have similar issues but they are going after the stores that sold the same. See if you can get some resolve to issues with Toshiba.

I like the comment by HOLD THEM RESPONSIBLE about a class action but I am not sure what we can do in this case since one was already settled. Any ideas?

Toshiba Corporation Logo Toshiba Corporation