Toshiba / P35 S629 Laptop / overheating!

CA, United States Review updated:
I bought a Toshiba p35 S629 in 2005. Toshiba wouldn't honor the 1 year warranty as a previous buyer had buyer's remorse and returned it to the store, even though it stated on my receipt that I had a 1 year warranty. Because of this I was denied a full 1 year warranty and denied the option to buy an extended warranty. At 10 months to the day that the warranty ran out, the inverter went out on my LCD. Toshiba did fix it for me. 10 months later, the LCD developed vertical lines on it. After much arguing with Toshiba they agreed to fix it, stating that they've had no complaints with vertical lines on their LCD's (ha!) 5 and 1/2 months later, the LCD went out again. After 2 months arguing with Toshiba they fixed it again, still denied that there were any complaints regarding their LCD's. Now, 1 and 1/2 months went by and the LCD is messed up again... same problem. This is the 4th (counting the original LCD) that this computer has had on it!. I do not taken this computer out anywhere since the first time it messed up as I bought it as a desktop replacement. I was playing Scrabble this last time it messed up. Toshiba once again denied that they have had complaints about their LCD's. Other problems that I complained about to Toshiba were the DVD not recognizing media, severe overheating and fully charged battery lasting only 10 minutes max. They cleaned the heat sync once, but never would fix any other problems. My faith in Toshiba is lower than ZERO right about now.

Comments

Do
  16th of Dec, 2007
I couldn't agree more. I have a Toshiba P35-S6292 and have vertical lines all over my screen. I need to clean the cooling system all the time to prevent overheating. The fans make so much noise that my family complains when I use the computer in the family room. You can't use the computer anywhere but on a hard surface, the fans are on the bottom and if you wanted to place the laptop on your lap, it quickly overheats. The battery never lasted an hour, and a year later, the battery lasts about 15 minutes. And finally, Toshiba will not allow an upgrade path in Operating Systems. They refuse to create drivers for the video card, and BTW, they make previous agreements with the video card makers to forbid them from creating drivers for the video cards in the Toshiba machines. So if you do upgrade to say Vista, you will have never ending issues with the video card. I knew when I bought the machine that Toshiba had a history of poor customer support, but I'm semi geeky and typically can fix anything on a computer without manufacturer's support, but I am truly disappointed in the overall quality of this product. The one and only reason I still deal with this laptop is the audio system. It has hands down the best speaker system on a laptop I've ever heard. In fact, the sound system is the primary reason I bought the machine in the first place. You hear that other laptop manufacturers? Copy the Harman Kardon system in this model of the Toshiba and I’ll be knocking on your door.
Co
  16th of Dec, 2007
I agree with you Doug. The sound system is about the only thing that still works great...and it is the best I've heard on ANY laptop. I wonder if Toshiba has exclusive rights to the laptop Harman Kardon system?
Ch
  17th of Apr, 2008
I have the toshiba p35 and have had nothing but problems from the start...My lcd screen is shot and I am looking for a replacement screen. Anyone want to part out their dead p35.
Wa
  4th of Jul, 2008
I think I can top everyone with my maintenance sagas with the S629> All I can say is thank God I got the extended warranty, I have this machine since November 2004. Since then, I've had the display replaced 3 times, the hard drive twce, and dvd twice. The last time I sent this thing back, the geeks felt sorry for me and rebuilt the motherborad> I now have dual core processors and with the already fast 3.4ghz processor, they brought this laptop into the 21th century. I'm having problems with the diaplay again but now since the motherboard upgrade, I used as a desktop replacement and have another monitor hook up to it. And I do have to angree the sound system on this best. It hasn't cost me any money to have any of this done but I'll will stay away from Toshiba in the future.
Em
  11th of Feb, 2009
LCD down . Speakers down . over heats. I have had it worked on more times that I can count. Think before you buy Toshiba anything. They were a great company at one point in time, but have failed in the last 4 years. Tadashi Okamura give me a call!
Ta
  7th of Mar, 2009
The P35 S6292 is a great computer when it works however the fans are very loud, the computer over heats very easily, the battery life is so short the lap top is useless unless you have it pluged in and I've had to replace the LCD. I will not buy Toshiba Laptops any more. Since buying the Toshiba I have purchased an HP it is very good excepting a hard drive failure, an Avertech it is a piece of junk, and a Dell so far it is very good.
Ch
  15th of Jul, 2009
I have the Toshiba P-35 S6292 and like everyone else, have nothing but trouble with it. If Toshiba was a decent company, they would be honorable and tell everyone with this model that they will receive a free laptop that does not have this ENGINEERING FLAW. Toshiba, YOU KNOW VERY WELL that there is a problem with this model. Why act like there is noting wrong, because when you do this YOU ARE LOSING CUSTOOMERS that any business would try to keep! Someone with the authority, or should I say a decision maker, should grab the bull by the horns and do something good for us poor working people that have a piece of junk that we thought would be a decent working computer! Mine is shot, with just half the screen working, with the rest of it covered in lines or just black...Of course, this happened after the one year ran out and when I called, Toshiba provided their standard answer...oh, I am sorry but there is nothing we can do about that...SOMEONE SHOULD FILE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against Toshiba and their defective product. This is America and for Toshiba to sell a product that is KNOWN not to work properly, is just plain illegal. SHAME ON YOU TOSHIBA! I will NEVER buy a Toshiba product as long as I live, and will continue to warn all of my customers to stay way clear of anything Toshiba, as they will be wasting their money...Chris
Ay
  24th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
MY bother bought a toshiba and one week after year warranty was over the computer shuts down because of over heating, he called thinking they might honor their product and fix it ! insted they wanted $450.00 for repairs! I'm glad I bought this ACER ! so now he's byeing a sony! he was a diehard toshiba fan tell they slapped him in the face so to speak !makes me sick to see him spend that kind of money on pc and one year later it's lays in the corner!and while I'm typing toshibas running advertisements!

Toshiba Corporation Logo Toshiba Corporation