Toshiba / customer service

United States Review updated:

Toshiba has the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

I use my Satellite L650 laptop only for my evening graduate school classes. After about 6 months, the E key came loose and now doesn't function properly.

I called Toshiba and they told me to purchase a box for $25 to send the laptop to their repair center. I purchased the box, sent in the computer, and asked them to fix the E key.

I received my laptop back a week later. The E key was still broken and they replaced my entire hard drive! All of my documents and programs were gone, and the computer was even missing the programs it came with originally.

After three calls to customer service, a case manager informed me that my E key can't be replaced because the damage was caused when I dropped the computer (which I didn't), and there is nobody at the entire company of Toshiba who has the ability to refund my $25 even though they told me to send it in. She also told me that there is nothing they can do about my hard drive and they will not replace my missing programs, even though they originally came with the computer.

I've never been so frustrated with a company.

Comments

• De
      24th of Aug, 2009

Countless times we've had chargers for a toshiba laptops die on us and there is no reason for them dying. So we call the company and they say its our fault that the chargers are getting broken when we know for a fact that it is not our fault. They were very unprofessional in helping us. The people who were very unhelpful were Jewel and Claudia, we asked them if we could talk to there manager and they told us that they did not have a manager. So then we asked them for a mailing address so we could write a complaint to the company and they said that they didn't have an address. So we insisted that they let us talk to there supervisor and they said they still didn't have one and we said so your the president of toshiba and that only made them even more unprofessional. We are very displeased with this company and there tech. support even if you can call them that because they did nothing to help us.

• Ta
      24th of Aug, 2009

I've had past problems with Toshiba's customer service (or lack thereof). I recently purchased a new laptop that was Toshiba and the cd drive stopped working (as well as the mouse!) after a few days. I called them to let them know it wasn't working and was treated rudely. An associate there asked if I had DROPPED my computer or fiddled with it, which is ridiculous.

I instead purchased an HP, a company that I know I can get great customer service and reliability from.

• De
      11th of May, 2010

Toshiba customer service is non-existant. We had a Toshiba laptop, still under original warranty, with a bad power supply. We live 3 hours from the nearest certified service center, but were willing to drive there, rather than lose access to the laptop for a minimum of 15 days by shipping back to Toshiba, but Customer Service refused to work with us in any way, shape or form. Needless to say, our company will NEVER purchase another Toshiba product again.

• Rd
      24th of Nov, 2010

I have Toshiba laptop 1 year 4 months old. I have had the same re-occuring problem concerning online accessability. Every few months I hae to call to get this resolved thru there "customer service" center via phone. They now want me to pay $35 cause my 1 year warranty has expired, for there "assistance". They won't guarantee for the $35 they will sucessfully be able to help you. I spent $700 on this from Costco, & I promise that I will never purchase another Toshiba product as long as I am on this earth. I can see if years perhaps had gone by, in this economy they should be willing to help me with the basics of there notebook. I should have bought a Sony product, I had in the past & regret I went to Toshiba. If you take anything from this...I am an ordinary guy without much computer experience, do not waste your money on any Toshiba product because they simply will not stand behind their stuff. Thank you for reading

14th of Apr, 2011

I purcashed a Tosiba LCD 55 inch on March 16th, Within 20 days the Tv would not turn on. I notified Best Buy since it was less than 30 days and was offered an exchange for a new one. However it would be a week before I can receive it cause it would have to be ordered. a week later it was delivered and set up tested, about 4-5 hours later the picture was lost and all I had was sound. I called Best Buy and was told to contact their Geek sqaud. The Rep. told me that they woul have to make an appointment to send a repair tect to my house. I felt that I did not want a Tv New that had to be repaired. So I returned it to the store for a refund inorder to purcase an other Tv from some one else. When I arrived at the store and was proccessing the refund an other female employee at customer service made a comment " there proberly nothing wrong with it, we will just place it back on the floor". This told me that she was calling me a lier. I will never do business with Best Buy again nor will I ever purchase a Toshiba product again.

• Mi
      13th of Dec, 2011

Regardless of the make or model of Toshiba laptop you possess, good luck getting any action out of Toshiba customer no-service. After a solid month of dealing with them I have concluded that they have no intention of honoring their agreement, made that the time I purchased my laptop to repair or replace my laptop, a Toshiba Satellite L675 D, should it be defective. My screen started blinking and flashing less than one month after I purchased it. After following Toshiba's instructions to do various things to address the situation, I started getting hard drive failure warnings, followed by the dreaded blue screen. At that point, I dutifully shipped off my laptop to the repair depot. After ten days turned into 3 weeks, I called to see why my machine was still in limbo. I was informed that they had put it on hold for parts. My subsequent phone inquiry elicited an excuse that a parts hold extends their repair time frame by 7 to 10 days. The rep was actually counting off the days on his fingers. When he got to 10 and realized that his excuse no longer held water, he apologized and said that he would e-mail someone to find out what the delay was, and he would "call me back immediately." Ten days later, after nothing had changed, I called again. I was informed by a supervisor that my laptop was put on a new hold on December the 5th, and that there was no other remedy available to me. Basically, if I didn't like it, tough. there's no-one else to talk to, and if I complain to Toshiba corporate or post on a board like this one, they could care less. I told him that he had lost a customer, and he basically kissed me off and hung up. Please take this under consideration when you consider purchasing any Toshiba product. I am going to.

• Br
      19th of Mar, 2012

Replacement keys for laptops can be found at a local computer store or online and are fairly easy to replace. Worst case scenario, you replace the keyboard.

• Pa
      6th of Jan, 2015

I was looking for a new laptop. Did my research and chose the Toshiba. Second worst mistake of my life. First was my ex husband. The mouse pad never worked right from the beginning, only I thought that I was the one who didn't know how to work it. Then the mouse pad went out completely. This was after 6 months of use. I now use a plugged in mouse which is a pain. There is no customer service, so don't even bother. You'll just need a Xanax after. Bad bad company.

• Mi
      29th of Jan, 2018

I had emailed Toshiba on many occasions including eric.[protected]@toshiba.com but was unsuccessful.

I am very concerned about updates on my laptop Satellite C850-1G2. These updates are being forced on my laptop and I disagree with this practice. I am asking that you give me the option to download updates rather than forcing it on me.

Microsoft never forced updates and they had always given me the option whether to download or not.

These updates anyway are not making any difference whatsoever to the performance of the computer. What is the real purpose of the updates? On some occasions, I have had to wait over two hours for the updates to finish. It states not to turn off the computer until the updates are finished. On one occasion I had turned it off by mistake and it cost me E100 to fix it. It appears that I had contacted a virus when it was turned off without waiting for the download to finish. Please do not force any further updates on my computer without my permission. Please also let me know that you agree to this.

I have tried to make contact by online chat as I don’t use the phone due to deafness. But from what I have tried it appears that the chat line has been blocked in my case. Terrible treatment from Toshiba.

Thank you.