Toshiba Canada / hd dvd player

1 Calgary, Alberta, Canada Review updated:

Toshiba customer relations at head office AND product is a joke!

I spent almost two moths dealing with someone from that department regarding my defective HD DVD player - model XA-2. This particular model would shut down when using 1080p mode only, 1080p/24fps mode worked with no issues. At first I was advised to take the unit in to be looked at and the repair depot did it fact find it had a bad motherboard, so the repair depot requested Toshiba to replace the unit as it would have been cheaper to do so than replace the defective part. I thought PERFECT...problem solved! Well, I could be so lucky...the new unit did the exact same thing!!! Now, at this point Toshiba started to say it was my TV causing the issue and it wasn't compatable with the HD DVD player! I wrote many letters with links to various forums showing that this model had what is called "1080p shutdown" bug...well Toshiba Canada denied all this and refused to do anything for me (yet Toshiba USA and Switerland confirmed this issue)...until I advised them I sent a complaint to the BBB and the Ministry of Government. Suddenly they wanted me to ship the unit to them directly in Ontario and were quick to offer me some free HD DVD discs for all the trouble. They tested the unit for one day (so they stated) and found no fault and returned it to me with a letter that pretty much told me to go [censored] myself with the player's remote and called it a day. I didn't even get the free movies they offered!!!

The above is a very quick version of the drawn out back and forth with Toshiba and the dumb s**t who represents that company. I will never support ANY product made by Toshiba in my life and have turned others away from falling into their trap. I do hope that one day Toshiba folds in the towel, like they did on that horrible HD DVD product.

STAY AWAY FROM TOSHIBA PRODUCTS!!!

Comments

• Tb
      2nd of Sep, 2009

I had the same problem with my Toshiba Notebook with the HD DVD player. But the player just wouldnt work at all in HD DVD mode. I was told by Toshiba (while it was still under warrenty) to take it to Geek Squad at Best Buy an i did so 14 times. Each time it was with Best Buy it was gone for about 2 weeks for they had to send my lap top to Toshiba headquaters in Louisville, KY. Each time it returned the HD DVD player didnt work in HD DVD mode. This went on untill my lap top went out of warrenty an I was told by a resolution specialist that my warrenty was up an there was nothing more they could do. I called later that week an finally a resolution specialist saw all the times that my lap top was in for repairs an was going to send me a reconditioned lap top of same model. Well I finally got the new reconditioned lap top an I put in a HD DVD an IT STILL DOESNT WORK! I just gave up... Im a current student an needed that lap top an didnt care for the HD DVD. It just pissed me off that i paid $1200 for the lap top an the bells an whistles dont work... i learned my lesson I WILL NOT BUY TOSHIBA AGAIN!