TNT Service / scamming money for apartment rental

United States Review updated:
2.45

I am trying to find an apartment to rent in Brooklyn, NY. Searching on craigslist I found a GREAT apartment. The person emailed back and it was immediately fishy- she was in London and needed to rent the apartment ASAP and wanted me to use TNT express service (tnt.com) to deposit payment and she would send the keys (because she's the only person with the keys). I have found several other complaints online saying that the scam had been carried out on them.

I know it's next to impossible to locate the person responsible---
Susanne Hevner
34 Abbeville Road
London, SW4 9JN
United Kingdom

But when I contacted TNT Services to try to check it out and see if it was for real, they actually responded with this guy as the TNT payment agent

Charlles Moriss
192 Tulse Hill
London, SW2 3BU
United Kingdom

And the response looks pretty real, from address tntairexpress@london.com -- this needs to be shutdown so more people aren't scammed out of their hard earned cash.

I have about 8 emails from these scammers so let me know if I should email them to someone.
Ka

Comments

Du
  5th of Sep, 2008
Yes! My g/f saw the same ad as well as another of the same type but from someone who was living in Germany. Same M.O., no credit check, will send you keys in exchange for money using TNT.com...very fishy indeed. Who would rent you an apartment without knowing if you smoke, have kids, have bad credit can pay the rent ?? etc etc...
Ae
  11th of Sep, 2008
I agree this is a BIG FAT SCAM and we need to cacth these people. I also emailed them also and no response
Ja
  12th of Sep, 2008
My girlfriend just received the same Apt rental agreement from a lady in London asking her to send $1200 to a TNT agent thru Money Gam. It sounds fishy and I'm trying to find out before she lose $1200 dollars. If someone have more info, please e-mail me. Thanks!
Se
  28th of Oct, 2008
I've dealt with the exact same person except her alias was Catherine Marks from Liverpool. Every time I asked for contact information, references, she refused. Also, she will promise to send you a confirmation through a TNT intermediary. I got the email but was immediately suspicious because the contact email which I was suppose to send the Western Union transaction number was a YAHOO address!!! Don't be fooled by this individual.
Ma
  3rd of Nov, 2008
I have just received this same email...this person claims to have a fantastic apartment in downtown Toronto and wants me to send her more than 2000 dollars for me to be able to see the apartment.
It is all very weird...send me the money so you can see the apartment?? Hello???
The alias being used this time around is Erin Askew.
Be careful!!!
Ae
  23rd of Feb, 2009
Had same situation happen to me, for an "apt" in Charlestown, MA. Here is the email, name and email address they used.

from: Ashley Rudnansky
dateMon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:31 PM
subjectRe: $1300 / 2br - Unfunished 2 BR -amaizing view (Charlestown)
mailed-bygmail.com

hide details 12:31 PM (7 hours ago) Reply

Hi,

Thank you for all the useful information, I have to say that you are the perfect renter for my place and I will be more then happy to hand over the place to you. You will be able to visit the place once you will have Property Viewing & Keys Agreement form completed. Like I have informed you before, the price you will have to pay for one month of rent will be $1, 300.00; with no extra fees you will have access to all facilities provide by the building. The utility bills are paid directly from my bank account. Everything is functional and if you need to do some repairs (the worst case that could happen ), I will refund the reparations cost, or I will deduct those from monthly payment. The price will not increase monthly; it will remain the same for the whole period that the contact will be signed for. We can start with a basic 6 month or 1 year contract with the possibility of renewing it or with the period of time suitable for you.
Since I'm in London we need a way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are asking for. I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast; this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days. The solution is provided by a company called TNT which is similar to FedEx, DHL or UPS, which will handle the payment and delivery of the Keys. I have found a way that will allows you to pay the rent only after you will receive the keys; this way you will have the chance to physically see the place and decide if you like it or not.
If you are ready to proceed with this transaction I will need to inform you with the steps on how this service works and how we can make it happen securely. You will only have to deposit to TNT Service the first month rent $1, 300.00 so they can proceed with the shipping, so you can receive the keys and the contract. Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the Keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain you step by step how this will work .
1) To start this transaction I will need to know your full shipping information, full name, full address and a phone number. I will fill out a Property Viewing & Keys Agreement form as well, with the purpose of viewing the place.
2) The document will be handed to a TNT agent along with 2 sets of keys. He will verify the legitimacy of the legal papers. After this they will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the keys and the papers in their custody.
3) At this point you will have to go to a Money Gram office Location and make a money deposit on the TNT payment agent name that will be listed on the notification.
4) After the deposit will be paid the payment information ( Reference Number, sender's name and address) will be forwarded to TNT for validation. Once the payment will be confirmed with Money Gram they will deliver the apartment keys and the contract.
5) After you receive the package, you will have 2 days to take the apartment tour and to inform TNT if you will rent the apt. If the place is what you are looking for the payment will be forward to me by the agent assigned for the transaction. If by any chance you don't like the place we will have to cancel the contract and you will get a full refund of your payment.
Let me know if this service is comfortable for you and if you are ready to proceed.

Have a nice day, Ashley
Ka
  18th of May, 2009
Same thing from Charlestown, MA. Here is the original email: I just received it today, so beware!

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in having my place for rent; located located less than 1 mile north of central Boston in the Navy Yard, near quaint, historic Charlestown. Air Conditioning, cable satellite available, ceiling fan, disposal, furnished, large closets, separate dining room, washer and dryer in unit, alarm, carpeting, dishwasher, patio and balcony, view, window coverings.
I have moved to London, United Kingdom, about 4 months ago, with my husband, when I accepted my new job. I decided to keep the place because I wanted to have a comfortable and familiar place to stay when I will get back so I decided not sell it, I will just rent while I'm London. It may take up to 5 years. I want someone to stay there because I don't want it empty. I will solicit for your absolute maintenance of the place and want you to treat it as your own.
The place is available and it has not been rented before. You can rent it for the period of time suitable for you of course. You can start with a basic 6 months and we can renew the agreement any time you want. The Tenancy Agreement form will be forwarded to you, which would guarantee your entry to the place on the day of your arrival. The rent for 1 month is $1, 200.00 including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, 2 parking spots, air conditioning). You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys. I have ready all the necessary rental documents. The only problem is that I'm the only person who has the keys but I hope that we will find a way to solve this situation. I will really appreciate a response if you decide to rent the place. Above all things, this is a great place and opportunity for someone. Hope to hear back from you soon!

Ashley Rudnansky
Tj
  18th of May, 2009
I have had the same thing happen to me, too, from this "Ashley Rudnansky" scammer for the Chalestown, MA apartment. I also just received it today, despite responding to the Craigslist posting last week. This isn't even the first one that I've received. I've received another scam e-mail from a "MILDRED PERRY" (in all caps) concerning a Cambridge, MA place and yet another about an apartment in the North End. Please be aware!

This is really just horrible.
Pa
  4th of Jun, 2009
I was just trying to buy a macbook on craiglist, posted in Omaha, NE. I contacted them and asked where they are so I could meet up. They wrote back that they were in the UK and due to the US warranty people in the UK wouldn't buy it so she was trying to sell it in the US. She wanted me to use TNT to send her the money. It was a too-good-to-be-true deal. A $1100 laptop selling for $550.

I went to the source code for the email where it lists out all the various IP addresses for the servers that it routed through, also indicating the IP on their end. I went to maxmind.com and plugged in the IPs and it'll tell you where they are located. One from CA, one from Germany... NONE were from the UK.

It already stunk of a scam when she had this extra information about not being in the country and wanting me to send money through some third party. But having all the IPs traced and showing the message wasn't being sent from where they claimed they were, I wrote back a short nasty reply.
Sk
  28th of Jun, 2010
Jan Willis
People renting in Toronto should look out for this person/ email! Renting a beautiful too good to be true apartment in the downtown core.

First email received -
The apartment is available.The monthly rent of $1100 will include all utilities such as water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking etc. The only problem is that i had to move with my job to London/UK where i am now and i left the keys and contract already signed by me at a company called TNT and they will handle the payment and delivery for us. If you want to know more about how this deal can work please get back to me ASAP and i will send you the details step by step. Thank you and hope to hear back from you.

Second email received -
If we decide to proceed with this transaction, I will have to contact TNT and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the process right away. I will need your full name and address for that. You will receive a notification from TNT shortly after that, together with all the instructions to follow and the invoice as well. Regarding the payment, you will be instructed to deposit the money to a TNT account. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want take it or not. That is how their buyer protection policy works. As far as my concerns, I will be glad to know that TNT has the possession of the money during the delivery period. That is my insurance.As soon as the funds have been deposited into their account, they will immediately start the shipping process.
The keys and rental contract will be delivered at your address in no more than 3 working days. You will be given a ten days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract at home. If you decide to hold the apartment, then you will have to authorize TNT to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will be able to send the keys and contract back through the same service and ask TNT to return the funds to you. Through I am sure you will love the apartment, it is good to know that you do have this second option available. If you wish to proceed with renting the apartment, please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through TNT right away.

Thanks to this site I didn't loose $1100! Thanks!
Sk
  28th of Jun, 2010
http://www.hometrader.ca/ContactUs.aspx Oh yeah, one more thing. Hometrader.ca was the website that posted this scammer "Jan Willis" mentioned above, please avoid using this site to search apartments! I tried to contact Home Trader to make them aware of the scam and there isn't even a "submit" button on the "contact us" page! See for yourself! http://www.hometrader.ca/ContactUs.aspx

I bet Hometrader.ca is in on the action.

Just can't believe these people.
Ha
  23rd of Oct, 2010
OMG, I got the same e-mail! It was for an appartement in Brussels..

Ok,
First of all if you want to rent the apartment you need to pay 1 month of rent + 1 month of warranty ( 450 EURO + 450 EURO = 900 EURO ) ! ( but that month of warranty you will receive back after you finish the contract !
The contract will be made on minimum 2 months and maximum 9 years !
The price is cheap because i want to find a good person who take care of my apartment !
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

His "name" is John Michael..Waauw, these people or this person is really getting a lot of money this way! I found my own on immoweb.be..
Pe
  26th of Oct, 2010
Hanne, i recieved EXACTLY the same response from John Michael for an apartment in Brussels Ixelles! It seemed too good to be true. These are the 2 responses i got:

1° Response :

From: john michael
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 2:40 AM
To:
Subject: RE: Immoweb - Reactie op zoekertje Te huur

Thanks for your interest. The apartment is still available. I recently moved my work in Liverpool, United Kingdom, but the rent is high here, I decided to offer for rent the apartment that i have in Ixelles. I can rent the apartment for maximum 9 years ... This is the period that I have a contract here, but I can rent it for a shorter period as well. I own the ground and is exactly as in the photos. The rent for 1 month is 450 EUR and includes all your utilities (water, Internet, cable). You can enter the apartment on the same day when receiving the keys .. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but I hope to find a compromise. If you're interested, write me back .

Thanks

Avenue George Bergmann 11
1050 Ixelles

BEDROOMS : 2
Master bedroom has a marble en-suite bathroom with shower and marble washbasin.
The main bathroom is beautifully decorated with marble and limestone has a large bath tub, shower and toilet. The bathrooms are fitted with superior fittings and feature extensive use of marble and limestone. There is also a separate guest toilet with a small hand basin.

450 EURO / MONTH

2° Response
Van: JOHN MICHAEL (hue789238@hotmail.com)
Verzonden: dinsdag 26 oktober 2010 4:19:52
Aan:
Onderw: RE: Immoweb - Reactie op zoekertje Te huur

Identic as HANNE. He/They just copy-paste it all !!!

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS PERSON
Sa
  31st of Oct, 2010
Hanne and Peter, I have just recieved the same thing for an apartment in Liege, Reply
john michael to me
show details 23:19 (10 minutes ago)

Ok,
First of all if you want to rent the apartment you need to pay 1 month of rent + 1 month of warranty ( 280 EURO + 280 EURO = 560 EURO ) ! ( but that month of warranty you will receive back after you finish the contract !
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

I cannot believe this guy! Just when i thought i had found the perfect thing!

Is there anything we can do to stop this?

I found the apt on immoweb.be

DO NOT AGREE ANYTHING WITH JOHN MICHAEL!!!
Ib
  1st of Nov, 2010
Hello everyone,
Same thing happens to me just a few hours ago. I also received an email of John Michael about a flat in Ostend Belgium that I found on immoweb. With the same description as the one in Brussels . And also with that story of TNT. I found it very odd from his first email, I did even ask if we could meet in London, as he was in Liverpool. No answer at all. I can not believe that.
Please People Beware of this criminal named John Michael.
Se
  1st of Nov, 2010
Hi,

I just had the same thing with a flat in Schilde/Antwerp found via immoweb.

First mail (from wliodend398@live.com):

Thanks for your interest. The apartment is still available. I recently moved my work in Liverpool, United Kingdom, but the rent is high here, I decided to offer for rent the apartment that i have in Schilde. I can rent the apartment for maximum 9 years ... This is the period that I have a contract here, but I can rent it for a shorter period as well. I own the ground and is exactly as in the photos. The rent for 1 month is 280 EUR and includes all your utilities (water, Internet, cable). You can enter the apartment on the same day when receiving the keys .. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but I hope to find a compromise. If you're interested, write me back .

Turnhoutsebaan 203
2970 Schilde

Apartment 1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom

BATHROOM:

A stall shower, and a tub with hand-held sprayer. WC is downstairs.

KITCHEN:

Fully equipped kitchen stainless steel and blond wood, and features a ceramic cooktop with four electric burners, a traditional electric oven, a combination refrigerator/freezer, toaster and coffee maker, as well as a combination washer/dryer, dishwasher or microwave.
Included :

Central Air Conditioning, flat-panel television, TVs, Washer, Dryer WIFI, Internet Access, Stereo, Cable, TV, DVD

280 EURO / Month

THE PRICE INCLUDED ALL UTILITATES

Second e-mail:

2nd of Nov, 2010
SAME SCAM IN LEUVEN...Please be aware

Thanks for your interest. The apartment is still available. I recently moved my work in Liverpool, United Kingdom, but the rent is high here, I decided to offer for rent the apartment that i have in Leuven. I can rent the apartment for maximum 9 years ... This is the period that I have a contract here, but I can rent it for a shorter period as well. I own the ground and is exactly as in the photos. The rent for 1 month is 700 EUR and includes all your utilities (water, Internet, cable). You can enter the apartment on the same day when receiving the keys .. The only problem is that I am the only person who has the keys, but I hope to find a compromise. If you're interested, write me back .

Bondgenotenlaan 115
3000 Leuven

2 Bedrooms

Recently renovated in May 2010, 3 floor winding staircase walk-up.
Digicode entrance and interphone equipped.

One bathroom with shower, separate tub and wash basin, and separate WC
Fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher, , microwave, oven, stovetop,
washer/dryer.
Flat screen TV, cable, High speed Internet and unlimited international
calling, DVD, stereo system

700 EURO / MONTH

2nd of Nov, 2010
Ok,
First of all if you want to rent the apartment you need to pay 1 month of rent + 1 month of warranty ( 700 EURO + 1300 EURO = 2000 EURO ) ! ( but that month of warranty you will receive back after you finish the contract !

6th of Nov, 2010
HERES ANOTHER ONE ALSO IN LEUVEN...PLEASE BE AWARE ON IMMOWEB...DO NOT TRANSFER MONEY BY TNT OR WESTERN UNION OR ANYTHING OF THAT SORT...IF ITS 2 GOOD TO BE TRUE ITS GENERALLY NOT

2 Bedrooms Recently renovated in May 2010, 3 floor winding staircase walk-up. Digicode entrance and interphone equipped. One bathroom with shower, separate tub and wash basin, and separate WC Fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher, , microwave, oven, stovetop, washer/dryer. Flat screen TV, cable, High speed Internet and unlimited international calling, DVD, stereo system 700 EURO / MONTH

THE PICS ARE SIMILIAR TO OTHER SCAM ONES IN COMPLAINTS ABOVE
Ba
  27th of Nov, 2010
Italian version (the scammer - Patricia Donovan: patricia3920@live.com is offering a three-room apartment in the downtown of Milan, Centro Storico):

Hi again,
Thanks again for your reply. Before all I want to tell you that if you are ready to proceed with this transaction I will need to inform you the steps about how this service works and how we can bring it to an end. You will only have to deposit to TNT Service the first month of rent 570 euro, so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the keys and the contract.
Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the Keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain to you step by step how this will work.
1 - To start this transaction I will need to know your full shipping coordinates and I am referring to your full name and full shipping address where you want to receive the package.How Many Months are you willing to rent The House?
2 - I will go to the TNT Office here in the UK and leave the Keys and the contract in your name as the intended receiver.
3 - TNT will check the envelope to see if everything it's OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the Keys.
4 - TNT will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody, in which you will be told that they have the Keys and that they've checked it. TNT will give you further instructions about first month deposit!
5 - After you receive the package, you will go and check the apt and in 2 days you must contact them and tell them if you keep the apt or not. If all is in order, you will instruct TNT to give me the money for the first month. Further rents will be sent directly to my bank account. If you don `t like the apt they will give you a full refund and you will give them back the keys and the contract.
I will pay the TNT Service for the shipping.
Thanks for understanding, but at this point just let me know if we can do this, so email me all your full shipping information in order for us to proceed in this deal.

Good luck,

PS Please read all the info and tell me if it's clear to you, or if I can help you with other explications..

TNT Holdings Logo TNT Holdings