Tires Plus / awful experience

US Review updated:

I bought 4 'NEW' Michelin Cross Terraine tires plus the 'warranty' for a total of $841.91 from Tires Plus June 2017. At the time I, like millions of others, was unaware that you can find out when the tire was actually made by looking at the DOT# on the tire wall which gives the week and year the tire was manufactured. The long and short of this story is that I was sold 2 tires that were already 3 years old, 2 tires there were one year in age at the same full price, and was told by 'Howard' in Jacksonville Florida (district manager) that they are allowed to sell tires up to 5 years old to consumers. The NHTSA recommends that tires be replaced that range in age of 6-10 years of age. So, you can buy tires that are already 5 years old and get only 1-5 years of actual wear if you go by the Highway Safety Administration's guidelines. They additionally recommend that it also depends upon the make, model, mileage, etc. of the tire if you can expect to get as many as 10 years. Tires Plus will only offer you the difference between what the tread wear is and the actual mileage you have on the tires towards 'new' tires (whatever the age really is you would have to check again). And so basically they offer you nothing. My car's tires had only 29K miles on them and yet the tires are 8 years old, the car is 7 years old, and I bought them 5 years ago. I asked Howard if he would (since he's in the business and knows this information) if he would knowingly buy 3 or even the 5 year old tire and not only put them on his own car but also pay FULL price (like we the consumer is forced too). His only response was to state that he could say the same thing about what I do for a living (not knowing what my career is). And to that end, I am a Realtor and in no way have I ever met a buyer who goes into a transaction knowing how old the house is that expects to pay the same for a 3-5 year old house that they would pay for a house next door that was built in 2017! I hope that everyone reads this if for no other reason than to be aware of the age of a tire at the time you're in the tire store so you can make a better decision as to whether you're going to pay the same price for a 5 year old tire that's been sitting around in a HOT warehouse or if you would rather be smarter and buy a truely NEW tire for the same price!

Comments

• Da
      Apr 23, 2010
    Tires Plus - service don't care you are waiting
    Tires Plus

Arrived 20 minutes early for an appointment to change oil rotate tires, They did not take car in for 50 mins from lot behind service counter, changed oil rotated tires as requested did not inform driver the vehicle was completed.

Total time at Tires Plus 110 minutes for a 20 minute max appointment and then had to ask if it was complete.

Salesman realy not bothered about time taken, other customers are also waiting for materials that had to be brought from other locations believe it or not they also had appointments.

What is the point of making appointments? when there is poor staff to follow through.

• Ti
      Jun 09, 2010

Store # 268539 Herndon, VA

I had an appointment at 10:30 am for the oil change and tire replacement, and arrived there on time. I said I be back in two hours since I thought that two hours are enough for the service. When I get back at 12:30 pm, I noticed they just started taking out old tires. I waited about an hour more. When I addressed this problem, they didn't apologize, but said it's not that big deal to wait an hour, and the appointment doesn't mean anything to them. When I presented "On time gurantee" on the back of the invoice, they read it as if not knowing it. I got 10% discount for the next visit, but I'll never ever go there again.