Thrifty Rent A Car / toll fines

Orlando, Florida, Miami, FL, United States Review updated:

Renting a car from Thrifty Car Rental in South Florida is a risk. Every time I have rented from them in the past two years, I have received notifications of Toll Violations resulting in fines. I travel with my own Sun Pass device and generally avoid toll roads when possible. My last trip to Miami I did not use any toll roads and have just received another fine notification!
I will not be using Thrifty again. The fine amount is .60 yet they add a fee of $9.99 ! I believe they have a racket going in South Florida!
Be aware of their practice regarding erroneous toll violations!

An
Apr 15, 2018

Comments

• Tv
      Oct 22, 2018

We rented a car on 9/15/2-18 at the Boston Logan International Airport. We declined the Plate Pass Transponder. We avoided all tolls in the state of Massachusetts because they are electronic collection only. Once in Maine, we drove through the CASH toll lanes and paid all tolls in cash. We received a notice stating that we activated the transponder device - which we did NOT - and that there were three toll violations. Thrifty is charging us $59.99.
    I called the Maine Turnpike Authority - there are NO violations on file for the tag number for the entire month of September. There were NO violations paid by Thrifty to the Maine Turnpike Authority for violations. Thrifty claims they paid the three violations and so that deletes the violation photos from the Maine Turnpike Authorities system. MTA says NO - if there were violations, there would be photos, and those remain in their system even after the toll violations are paid. There were NO violations on this tag number for the entire month of September. This is fraud on the part of Thrifty.

Jun 10, 2019

On a recent trip from Miami to Key Largo, Thrifty charged me an "Administrative Fee" for every freeway toll booth/freeway stretch I passed by. The lunch trip to Key Largo, about 50 miles, cost me about $200 in fees, about 3-4 times the car rental cost itself.

Am I angry? Sure! Was I ripped off? Of course!

Will I ever, ever, ever rent from Thrifty again? Of course not! Will I tell everyone I know to avoid Thrifty? Absolutely.