Textbooks.com / Fraudulent Practices

1 MO, United States Review updated:

I ordered a college textbook from Textbooks.com back in September (for fall quarter). I got a used book, trying to save money. The reason I bought from them is they guarantee buying back your book at the price you bought it from them, plus 10%. What a great deal, right?
Well, I got my book. It was used and served its purpose. The book did have a little bit of water damage; but since Textbooks.com sent it to me, I figured they’re aware of it and it’s fine (the book is completely readable and that is what books are for: reading).
OK, so at the end of the quarter, I am sending the book back to them (they even send reminder e-mails telling you “they owe you money for the book” etc. I think that was a good feature. Anyways, I followed all of their instructions and a few days later, I get an e-mail saying that the book I sent them is damaged and cannot be bought. I was given an option to either pay them $12.50 in shipping to get the book back, or they simply throw it away.
Ok, so I e-mailed them back (this was on December 22, 2008) explaining that the book is in exactly the same condition as I received it from them. The representative responded, saying that I should have called them in September if the book was damaged and since I didn’t, it’s too late.
Well, here is the problem. I am buying a USED BOOK. Used books aren’t new. A little water damage, in my opinion, does not pose a problem in being able to use the book. Since Textbooks.com state that they inspect every used book by hand (as mentioned on their website), why would I be the one doubting them? They never mentioned that if a used book they sell me is water damaged, I should return it. Plus, they guarantee buying the book back, so of course, I wasn’t concerned or even had a reason to be concerned!
I am upset. I tried to resolve this issue directly with them via e-mail and I am being very reasonable. Textbooks.com should follow their claims and buy this book back. It is in exactly the same condition as they sold it to me. I am going to contact the Better Business Bureau, as I don’t think it is fair at all. I don’t recommend this company to anyone, as they obviously don’t hold themselves responsible for the condition of the books they sell (seeing that they weren’t aware of the condition of the book they sold me). Buyers: there are many other used textbook websites that don’t offer empty promises.
I purchased my Anthropology book for $74.50 from Textbooks.com. Now, they’re throwing my book away.

Comments

• Te
      26th of Dec, 2008

Hello: I am a customer service agent from Textbooks.com and I am responding to the above complaint.

We do hand inspect every book we sell, however, we do not know what happens to the book during transit to the student nor do we know how the book is treated in the 6 months that it is in the students possession. That's why we have a 30 day, "no questions asked" policy, if the student believes the book is "too used" or has any sort of damages, we will provide a replacement copy.

On our site, we list "What's a used book" and we do state that water damage is a condition that is unacceptable for resell.

We do anything possible to keep the costs of textbooks down - buying damaged books would certainly play against that.

Buying online has many advantages, buying from us or anyone else, please inspect your books upon arrive (make sure that they are not international editions if you are buying from other online vendors) so that there are no surpises once buyback comes around.

Butterfly12 - please give me a call to discuss this further - 877-292-6442

Best,

John

• Wm
      4th of May, 2010

Do they really throw them away or just resell...again! I have the same experience, bought a new book, returned it in exactly the same condition. They kept bugging me about buying it back. So, I sent the book back, they sent confirmation that they received it and payment was on the way. Low and behold, I received a subsequent email stating there was "water damage" and therefore, did not qualify for the buy back and told me they would discard the book, unless I wanted to pay for postage to have it sent back. They also said they could not guarantee they would send me back the same book...what???? At any rate, it's been months since I gave them my credit card information to pay for the "ship back". Today, months later, still no book...I contacted them only to be told that they had no record of the transaction! These people are unbelievable and I will do everything in my power to spread word of their poor business practices...and I know alot of people!

• Fo
      12th of Nov, 2010

Buyer Beware. Textbooks.com is just a subsidiary of MBS Textbook Exchange, Inc. located in Columbia, MO. I am a former employee and can attest to the fact the "grading" guidelines are not consistent. One drop of water and they will deem it as water damaged. MBS is a textbook wholesaler and it is their goal to receive as many books as possible at the lowest cost possible to sell at huge mark ups to college and university bookstores.

11th of Dec, 2010

I agree - buyer beware. I purchased several textbooks from their "marketplace". A day or two later, I received a confirmation message from both sellers that they had received the order and the book would be shipping shortly. A WEEK later, one was canceled (they couldn't locate the book they listed for sale), and I can't get any word from the other seller letting me know if they too are going to cancel the order, or whether or not the book was shipped. I know this isn't textbooks.com fault directly, but they are the one charging my credit card so they should hold these marketplace sellers to a higher accountability than they currently are. If you don't have the book for sale, DON'T LIST IT.

• Pa
      5th of Jan, 2014

I'm having this exact same problem, how are they still in business!