TeleCheck Services / check denial for frivolous reason

1 5565 Glenridge Connector, N.E. Atlanta, GA 30342, Atlanta, GA, United States Review updated:

My check was denied at Walmart by Telecheck. Mind you, I've written checks to Walmart regularly for years; but out of the blue, my check was denied.

Therefore I denied Walmart my business, and left my purchase sitting in bags on the counter and walked away. I called Telecheck and their reason for denial was that I hadn't written a check since the end of November, less than a month ago. For that alone, my check was refused.

Telecheck Rep stated they have no access to information regarding checking accounts; so I asked what right they had to reject service given they have no viable information for making arbitrary decisions regarding a person's banking transactions. They stated that they have certain strict perimeters given by the store that must be followed. That's interesting because I also called the manager at Walmart and he had never even heard of that as a reason for denial. I'm no expert but appears Telecheck may create frivolous reasons to reject checks to make themselves appear valuable to their client. Or alternatively, they may just be incompetent.

I was informed by the rep that I should be able to write a check to Walmart today; however, I will not be doing business with Walmart for a very long time. Being unnecessarily humiliated in front of other customers is unacceptable.

I will also be speaking today with the State Attorney General, because Telecheck should not be allowed to arbitrarily deny service based on ridiculous perimeters that aren't even sanctioned by the business they represent.

Cl
Dec 17, 2018

Comments

• Ks
      18th of Jan, 2019

I had a very similar experience with this telecheck company at my Walmart. I’ve done business at this Walmart with the same checking account for around 25 years with no issues. Twice in a row I’ve been declined for no reason. When I call telecheck they won’t even talk to me only ask personal questions and refuse to tell my why they need this personal info or what they plan to use the info for. I would greatly be interested in knowing what info you get from your state attorney general as I may also be filing a law suit against this company for discriminating against me declining me from doing business with these merchants and not even giving me a reason why.