Teco Gas / Unfairly discriminating against people!

Teco gas is the sole supplier of gas service to customer in South Florida. If you don't pay your bill as they want you to, if you pay it anytime after the due date, they want you to pay a huge deposit. They are unfairly discriminating against people of low income and nobody does anything about it. The customers are left at the mercy of Teco gas. Onec their is a monopoly, they do what they want!

Va

Comments

• Fr
      1st of Nov, 2007

WOW you don't pay for your service and a company stops the service. What a crazy concept, yea they are they jerks for expecting you to pay for their product. Deposits go up if you don't pay your bill, and they are afraid you probably aren't going to pay so they must protect themselves from losing money from all the people that run out on their bill.

• Fe
      7th of Dec, 2007

I was stunned to see an extra $195.00 charge on my Teco gas bill for this mo. We have lived in the same house for 9 yrs and here and there have been a little late but most of the time the bill is paid on time even resulting in receiving letter from Teco stating our "timely payments" I called and spoke to someone this am and he explained to me that this is what they charge to any accounts based on their payment history. Is this legal???

I feel like I have just been the victim of a Teco 'Loop Hole"

• Lo
      2nd of May, 2008

This happened to me as well. What can we do to stop this? I was late due to switching over to online banking and never even knew it! They are being unreasonable thinking someone can come up with 3 electric payments in one month and they refuse to re check my credit and see that I have a high credit rating as they would for a new customer. It does not make any sense that they would cancel the electric for a customer who pays their bill over not submitting a deposit after they have been with them for 5 years.

• Je
      26th of Nov, 2008

I agree. I was away on business and I come home to find a teco bill awaiting me on my door. I go immediately inside and pay it online. My gas gets shut off and now to merely take off the 2.5in aluminum lock and turn the gas to on (Literally) they want to charge me 110.00 which is 3 time my monthly payment. Let me ask you something Fred H... if you missed your car payment by one day would it then be fair for them to charge you 3 times that amount as a "Late Fee". Yeah I didn't think so. If anyone has any information on legal action we can all begin against this or something that can be done aside from filing a complaint with the Public Service Commission (Which I've already done).

• Li
      21st of Mar, 2009

Yes, I agree. That's why companies charge a late fee. But when you have a monopoly and they want to charge whatever they please as addt'l. deposit just 'cause they think they should even if your monthly bill is in the low $30's it is greed. One rep. came to my house and said the heater which has always worked perfectly had to be replaced, did not turn on the gas because I said I couldn't, and he said "fine, then no gas" and left. Called a supervisor who said if I called a Co. Teco recommends and they found the heater OK Teco would reimburse the cost of the visit. That's exactly what the Co. tech said, it worked fine. Sent them the bill with the tech's statement, and then they told me 'sorry, we can't pay it back'. I haven't turned gas on that acct. again. They left me w/o gas for months completely unnecessarily. I considered it abusive.

• Yv
      28th of Apr, 2009

i have two disable mens living at my address they cut my gas off on the 4-27-09 and i went on 4-28-09 to pay my bill but in the mean time no one told me that i had to pay a extra 65.00 to reconnect my gas i was at work but i had to leave my job again to go and pay the 65.00 and then when i call to give them the numbers off the reciept i have some one stating that they can not turn my gas back on until 4-29-09 but in the mean time the lady stating that they would
    so now i have no gas and cant cook them any thing they cant take baths cause they dont wont to come out until the next day i think that was uncall for what they did and then stating they will be out there between 8:00&12:00p.m. and i am on the phone stating that i have to be to work in the morning i throught florida power was hard but they are a lot more caring then teco they dont care about there customers
    at all i hope the next house i get i hope i never have gas again but in the mean time i will be looking to turn over to electric and i cant go thru this with teco some of teco dont no what they are talking about
    i feel what you guys are saing they put another deposit on me so dont
    feel bad i agree they need to goout of business

• Ho
      6th of May, 2009

O.K. So, I have been a customer with Teco gas for about 3 years ( give ot take ) I just got a letter in the mail saying that because 2 monthes out of the year I used more natural gas then My deposit was for ( the rest of the year i use less ) . Now, they want to increase my deposit. My land loard works for the city of st pete and suggested I contact the florida consumer complaints division. so i googled it . here is the link.
    the more people complain about the same issue the more the state will be more likely to make Teco reverse anything they have done. Im thinking i will call Teco first and let them know that I can just as easy replace the water heater with a new electric, on demand water heater ( my land loard is cool that way ) and my stove will just be for looks since i dont use it that much anyway . Ill just use my nu wave oven.
    I hope this link is usefull to you all. good luck and best wishes.

• Am
      23rd of Jul, 2009

I had my gas turned off because I didnt even realize it was that late. I went to use me dryer and it came out cold air.. I didnt even get a late notice or anything. I called and paid and then was told I owe a 70 dollar reconnect fee then 295 to pay on the phone which I did because I thought it would be quicker nooo it wont get turned back on til tomorrow anytime after 8am I explained I work! 2 jobs how am I supposed to be there.. all I get back is well if you miss the appt you owe another 25 dollars.. well now I understand we have to use them to have hot water, dryers and a stove so they just dont care they say whenever we show up.. oh and if u r not there we make more money.. whos to say they even do show up at all? ugh.. I am moving from my apt building because of the gas issues I just refuse to pay this anymore theres no way im saving that much on my electric bill..not to deal with extra deposits and all this junk

24th of Jul, 2009

Here is my situation, I have been effected by the economy pay my bill not on the due date for the past 6 month. My accnt with Teco electric is not behind i just pay past the due date. They want me to pay
    $ 595.oo deposit by August 11 2009. If not they will cut my service even if my monthly bill is paid and oustanding. and I do not own them any money they want me to pay this deposit since in there "system" I'm a costumer that can't walk out on them any time with out paying :(. Hello ...!!! I need electricity for my family. Is not, like I have the choice too choose any other power company.How fair is this? I cant barely pay my monthly bill and I'm a Teco customer for over 13 years. Has never missed a payment just paying late past the due date since since I lost my job. I have to pay this deposit of $595.00 if I want TECO electric to continue providing me with services.

THE GOVERMENT NEEDS TO STEP IN AND STOP THIS!!! WE NEED HELP PLEASE...!!! WE ARE AMERICANS TRYING TO MAKE IT I HAVE LOST EVERITHING. MY BUSINESS, MY HOUSE, MY CARS,
    WERE IS MY AMERICAN DREAM?

• Vv
      9th of Aug, 2009

I too am being charged an additional $285 due by Sept 2. I have never had my electric shut off. Been in same house for 15 yrs. They refuse any offer I make to avoid this. Does anyone have any information on how to stop this?

• Up
      19th of Aug, 2009

I am in the same boat. I have been a TECO customer for about 7 years. Well today I get a call at work that they are pulling the meter and would not stop even though I have a new 6 month old baby in the hom. When I called to find out what was going on. I was informed that I have to pay the amount due of 104 (which I had not problems with) but then on top of it all they wand a 140 deposit and 65 to come and re hook up the meter that they pulled. This was without any notification of ### my account down. and the last bill I received showed a 104 balance due by the 26th of the month. Today is the 19th. Florida needs to do something about the sham that TECO is and fast. because there is no way I can pay 300 to turn this stuff back on and a baby that needs hot water and food to live.

21st of Aug, 2009

I have a bunch of customers who never pay there bill on time or at all and come up with the lamest excuses not to pay their bill. The amount of unpaid bills that I have to write off is really crippling my company. The amount of money I have to pay to mail out late notices and final notices is really too much to handle. Most of my customers are good paying customers but I also have alot of customers who are really raising the cost of business, so much so that I have to raise the rates. I have to hire a whole team just to answer phone calls of people calling to get extensions or to explain why they can't pay me but feel they should get everything for free. Do any of you guys have an idea of how to solve these problems?

• To
      3rd of Sep, 2009

I think they just want to charge -everyone- a deposit to recoup from all the idiots who simply don't pay their bills.

They demanded a deposit from me as well but here is the clincher; I have never missed or paid late on my bills.

I am an individual with NO issues on my credit report. I have never missed a payment. I checked my FICO for a mortgage in April and it was 720 as well. I also verified my credit again today with Equifax and they reported no issues.

Here is my little story:

I went to setup a TECO account for my new residency and was told a $300 deposit was required; it is allegedly based on the square footage of the residence. I asked for a deposit waiver as I've never had to put one down in the past. They pulled my "credit report" and said I was declined. I asked why, as I've never needed a deposit with any other utility company. The representative stated that deposit waiver criteria was 'missed utility payments'. I pointed out that I have never missed a payment or paid any bill late. The rep then changed his tune and said he doesn't really know how it works and I have to call Equifax to find out. I asked for a manager or anyone with more information and was told there was no one else so call Equifax. I called Equifax and was told my credit is fine, no missed/late payments or other issues. Equifax rep said that only TECO would know their approval requirements and to call TECO back.

So I called back, got the same clueless person, and was again told that no managers/supervisors/etc exist to talk to. When I again asked about the deposit waiver criteria he said nobody at TECO would know and only Equifax does so call them. After a few minutes of banter, the rep tells me my deposit is now even more. At that point I thanked him and hung up.

So TECO "customer service" is obviously 2 things: clueless and useless. Their deposit criteria for new clients is also arbitrary, if it actually exists. I have no idea if a customer service rep has the ability to adjust your deposit or why my deposit suddenly jumped when I rocked the boat. I will say that this monopoly is not acceptable. I await the day that TECO goes the way of the dinosaurs.

I emailed the Florida consumer complaint department, TECO, and considered filing a complaint with the Florida Attorney General but that would not do much. While TECO technically isn't breaking any law, their arbitrary deposit requirements do need to be made clear.

I want to know their reasoning for demanding a deposit from an individual who has never missed a single payment on anything in their life. I even offered to pay my "expected" bill in advance, in lieu of a $300 or $400 deposit. I generally pay my rent, cable, and other bills in advance with no issues or need for a deposit.

If you don't pay your bills than I do agree with TECO, a deposit is necessary.
    For me it is the principal of the matter though.
    I pay my bills, I don't want to loan someone my money for no reason.

If any TECO employee(s) care to provide an enlightening response they better not be paid hourly to answer the phone. No offense but I've seen how informed those employees are.

15th of Sep, 2009

We also never missed or were late with a TECO payment. Our avg TECO bill is only about $50/month. We had an issue with a completely different company that we do business with & disputed our arrangement with that company to no avail. We eventually hired an attorney and stopped paying this other company pending court decision over our issue. Apparently, this is reflected in our credit report & TECO sends us a deposit demand for $300. My husband refused to pay it on principle & they have taken our regular monthly payments and applied it to the deposit... which makes our account appear to be unpaid. They turned off our gas & said to have it turned back on is $70... with an additional $30 if we want it back on that day or we could wait a few days. We're not exactly hurting for money right now, so we paid it... but seeing all these messages I just wonder why they need to apply seemingly large deposits on accounts that aren't actually in jeopardy of being bad debt. Our balance due at time of disconnect was $100... if they cut us off at $100 why would they need a $300 deposit? Also, even though we had an issue with another business reflected on our credit report, our credit is not bad at all... even now in these times of tight credit we can open credit accounts anywhere without a problem. This seems like extortion.

• Do
      2nd of Mar, 2010

I have been with Tampa Electric a subsidiary of TECO for 6 years with no problem. They introduced Ebill and that is where all my problems started. I wanted to use a new bank account I opened and that is where all the problem started. The issue started when the ebill did not allow me to check what was my bill before submitting. The ebill team said I either pressed twice on enter or my computer froze and the only way to delete any payment is to call them. I decided to pay again directly from my bank account though TECO received the money they did not update my account on time so my account was disconnected. I called in the person I spoke was rude, eventually I spoke with a manager and she appologized and had the light reconnected. Few days later I was charged for the reconnection bill, the new representative said the manager had no notes on my last call so no way to determine if I paid before or after disconnection. Although it shows I paid it is not showing the time if it is before or after disconnection.
    I had called 3 times and spoken to 3 different people and none had any notes on my calls, they charged me 3 times what I owe, I can't say my bank is reponsible because my bank shows them making the payment on time. I need to sue this company and their monopoly. Any help would do.

• Su
      9th of Mar, 2010

I also have a similar issue. Since 2009 Teco has raised my Teco bill a couple of hundred dollars. Just this year (2010) Teco has raised my bill from being 315 dollars In January to 655 dollars in February. This month in march it is running me 820 dollars. I have had no help from Teco, I have done everything asked of me. From checking for water leaks, checking my A C, checking to see if there are cracks in the windows or what my A C is set on. To making sure my water heater has no leak. I have requested them to come out and look at the meter and they tell me the meter cant be broke or nothing can be wrong with it because its digital. I am afraid that by next month my Teco bill will be over 1000 dollars, my son has asthma and I can't afford that kind of bill. Teco has no hart because when I don't pay the bill I know they will shut off my bill. I have no clue on what I can do. I don't run my lights because I have sky lights in my home. I don't run the heat, and my A C Is all ways set on 78 just like Teco told me to do. There for I have no clue to why my bill is so high for. I would like to know what my options are and what I can do.

• Sh
      10th of May, 2010

I have had Teco for over a year and put down a deposit when I opened the acct. and now they are asking for an additional Deposit for service.. I thought once you put a deposit down that is it until you end your service with the company then they will use that deposit toward any remaining bill. Serious TECO needs to understand many people now are living on pay check to pay check and budget themselves.. I can not believe they get away with raising your deposit after you have already been a client of thiers. I am a single mother who gets no child support and live on a strict budget. I don't want to pay for other peoples mistakes nor do I want to make sure the CEO have another new house to live in or a fancy vacation they want to go on paid for by me and my fellow Americans.. Right now our Country is in a depression and they want more money... Hello TECO wake up and smell the coffee..

21st of May, 2010

We ran into the same issue with the Natural Gas provided, we have had service with Teco for 8 years and now we get a Bill for $160.00 for a Deposit increase on a 45.00 a month bill.
    Well, were not gonna put up with this. We just purchased a new electric dryer and water heater and are converting the furnace to propane.
    Teco will continue to rob their customers until our crooked government steps up and rights this wrong

• Po
      29th of Oct, 2010

Better Alternative for your Natural Gas needs!

Hello, My name is Yamil Moya, CEO and Co-Founder of The Power Guys, Inc. here to tell you that you don't have to take it anymore!

After countless years of poor customer service and "through the roof charges, " you now have the choice to get your natural gas from a different supplier at a lower cost. This is a program you can take advantage of through TECO/People Gas if you know how to navigate through the mountains of paperwork. CALL POWER GUYS INC, we can help at no charge to you. we are REAL people.

www.powerguysinc.com
    Toll Free: 1 (877) 437-6167

21st of Nov, 2010

Teco Gas is the worst, They also make it very tough to pay your bill, unlike "every" other company if you choose to use there pay by phone it costs an additional $2.95 - Regarding their online payment services, I need to use a different password and user name than "every" other service I use online - which then locks me out of my account everytime, if I call then number they give me - after listening to their pre-recorded speech about nothing - they then give me a different number to call - which is only good during normal banking hours.

They specifically run there business different & difficult.

I also had to put down a deposit which works out to 4x my monthly bill - and if I am late with a payment due to the difficultly of making the payment - they threaten to cut me off - charge me $90 - and increase my deposit.
    The real question is - why did I put a deposit down in the first place ???

Will the lawmakers please stand-up, stop taking Teco money, & put an end to this backwards company.

Everybody else should be shorting the stock.