TechSkills / Bad, bad, school

DO not, I repeat, DO NOT go to Techskills. This is a mickey mouse training center that does not support its students. It is supposed to be medical training (highly inadequate - very little hands-on, no internships or externships, instructors who resent their students for taking up their time), AND it is also supposed to be an IT school, but interestingly, there are CONSTANT IT problems. Since students are supposed to be able to "study" at home using on-line computer programs, it makes things very difficult when the on-line programs don't work. Need help? Well, just call the 800 number and get a recorded message saying someone cannot help you. If you are young, skip this, go to a community college and get an associate degree in Health Information Management. If you are older with some experience, don't let Techskills sales people convince you that you will get a better job after Techskills - you won't. Also please note that half the time, they don't have the books you need - "they are 'on order' or the equipment you need (fresh out, sorry). Please, please, please read the fine print, talk to people that go there who know the truth -- find a REAL school. I spent six grand for nothing.

Comments

• Ca
      29th of May, 2009

hmmm. thats weird. I am going to the orlando fl campus and we do hae several rooms design for an specific training. I dont know about the nursing one . but the IT one is really good. So far I have several certs with them and I am finishing the MCSA, now, I have learned a whole lot from active directory to everything I need to know as far as permissions and so forth. maybe the one you went to was that bad, but no the one in orlando. thrust me

• Po
      14th of Jan, 2010

I agree with Castlewench! I struggled with trying to basically educate myself for more than it would have cost at a regular community college. It took me five years to pay off the student loan. I had to work more at my low paying job just to pay this loan off which took any of my "extra time" that I could've used at a better school. Sure they have deferments but you have to be nearly destitute to qualify. I had to get on with my life. Too bad for me. After I was roped into this program I met 4 other people who also suffered my fate.

Techskills, as well as other "for profit" schools do not have to prove results with student success statistics to qualify for government loan programs. They do not have to certify a single student!

• Ti
      15th of Mar, 2010

You bash on a School that has an 80% pass rate. If you are having a problem you should look in the mirror.

• Li
      9th of Feb, 2012

As a former student, I know that their online courses aren't housed at the location. So when they do not work, there is nothing that they can do. That's probably why they directed you to the main number. Yeah, it was an IT school first, so most of the IT mentors haven't a clue about the Healthcare training.