TD Bank / home equity loan

DE, United States Review updated:

I have a home equity loan with Commerce Bank. When TD Bank bought Commerce, my nightmare began.

I had my loan set up for biweekly automatic payments. This was fine under Commerce but shortly after TD Bank took over, I started getting late notices. I couldn't figure this out since the payments were being deducted from my account every two weeks.

I contacted TD Bank and was told that my payments had been incorrectly posted as principle only, showing as no intereste paid. They admitted this was their mistake, but had not explantion for how it happened. They said they would fix it but by the time they did, they had reported me as delinquent to the credit bureau.

I called back to tell them they needed to rectify this and they said they would turn it over to the person who handles errors with the credit bureau. Imagine, they have an employee assigned full-time to fix information they've erroneously reported on their customer's credit bureau file.

I was supposed to receive a call back in a few days but never did. Of course they would not give me the contact info for the person who handles rectifying the erroneous info being sent. After speaking to several more people at TD Bank over several months, I got nowwhere.

The next thing that happened was they just stopped deducting my loan payment from my account. When I called to ask why they said TD cannot process biweekly payments, only monthly automatic payments. I said it would have been nice if I had been told this. They said they had mailed notices out but I read every piece of mail from my bank and I never received this notification.

When I spoke to someone in the loan dept she said that it was because in the computer switch over (remember when the bank couldn't process anything for 3 days???) from Commerce to TD, several loans were just "dropped off" and mine was one of them. So the whole "we notified you" was a load of crap.

At this point I cancelled my automatic payments and said I would just make the payment myself each month. So each month I go online and pay my loan electronically. However I suddenly start getting notices that I'm a month behind. I look at all my payments which are current, call TD again, and they can't explain it. So in order to not have my loan looking like it's behind, I make an extra payment.

For 6 months I have been doing this. Each month I go online and my loan shows "no payment due" for the current month and the next payment due the following month. But I make a payment anyway, just to be safe.

Then in October, I suddenly see almost $800 deducted from my savings account. Under the column that describes what it's for it just says my name. I immediately call TD Bank and no one can figure out why this money was deducted from my account. The CSR gets her supervisor and they still can't figure it out. So they call my local branch.

The local brank says it's for my home equity loan!! I tell them I am not set up for automatic payments, the amount they deducted isn't my loan amount, and my next payment isn't even due until November! Their answer is they will "research" it and it will take 10-15 days. In the meantime, they won't put my money back in my account. I am freaking out at this point.

So they transfer me to the loan dept and I speak to Matthew. He promises to expedite the research and have the money back in my account in 2-3 days but says I should call on Wednesday to make sure it's there.

I check online on Wednesday and the money isn't there. I call the loan dept and speak to Kelly who is rude, condescending and totally unhelpful. She says all she can do is put it in for researach and it will take 10-15 days. I reiterate that TD has taken my money with no authorization and I want it back. Kelly said no. I told her that Matthew said I would have the money back that day and she didn't even want to look up the notes on my account to verify this. She finally did and said Matthew only put in the notes that he would expedite the research process.

So I said "then Matthew basically lied to me." She refused to comment and just kept repeating that she would put it in for reserach and it would take 10-15 days. I was ready to scream. But instead I asked to speak to a manager. She just keep repeating her mantra "I'll put this in for research. It will take 10-15 days." She said this about 5 times ignoring everything I was saying. What a ###!

I kept insisting on talking to a manager and she finally put me on hold. After a very long wait a manager, Nick, came on the line, apologized and said I would have the money back in my account that afternoon. Amazing! However, he said I would need to write a letter saying I no longer wanted automatic payments deducted from my account, and I would have to fax or drop it off since they needed my signature.

I repeated several times that I did not have automatic payments and hadn't for almost a year. He said he understood but said it was showing in their records that I was set up for automatic payment since January 2010. I then asked why, if that was the case, in 10 months, a payment had never before been deducted from my account. I also asked why they would deduct a totally different amount that my loan payment amount, and take it out a month before it was due. He couldn't explain but said I would need to drop the letter off in order to prevent this from happening again.

I replied that it was amazing that they hadn't needed my signature to set me up for automatic payments that I never requested, and could take random amounts of money out of my account with no explaination, but they needed my signature to stop doing something they did without my authorization in the first place!!

I also told him that my very next step would be to transfer this loan to another lender and close all of my TD Bank accounts.

But the story doesn't end here.

The money wasn't in my account that afternoon, or the next morning. I called TD Bank again and was told that it had to be in the "overnight run" and it hadn't been submitted in time the previous day. Funny, since I spoke to them at 10:30 am!

The woman I spoke to, Marie, was very nice, helpful and professional. She is an anomaly in the TD Bank world but I am grateful for her help. The money finally went back into my account. I gave them the letter with my signature. Even though it aggravated me to have to write a letter to ask them to stop something I never asked them to do, it was easier to just write the letter and (hopefully) avoid another problem.

And by the way, now they're telling me my Oct loan payment is due, even though their online system says a payment isn't due until November.

Do the Three Stooges own this bank? Commerce was bad, but TD is ridiculous.

Comments

• On
      Mar 10, 2011

You have our sincere sympathies. The three stooges (TD Bank) also took over the troubled Riverside Bank here in Florida. The mess they made of a auto debit loans was impressive but what was truly amazing was the depth of ignorance exhibited by bank employees. We were treated more like hostages than customers. The Feds enjoyed hearing all about it too -- considering they keep a keen eye on takeovers. They saw to it all the mistakes were corrected and now the three stooges are very careful with us.

At one time we had recommended many to this bank so when folks heard what was happening to us, there was a stampede for the exit. We've moved all except that which would cost too much to start over -- loans that are close to maturity. In the meantime, we enjoy the absence of any lines at a branch that was once very busy! LOL

• De
      Dec 14, 2017

I too am a former Riverside client. I took out a commercial mortgage in 2005 with Riverside that TD Bank took over in 2009. Since that time my mortgage has been restructured to renew every 3 to 5 years. I noticed back in the summer that I was getting a bill for a late payment that was in error. I have my current bank (Chase) send TD Bank $400 every week - my payment is due on the 18th with a 5 day grace period - so I'm paid ahead. When I called to question the late fee the guy could not pull up information because it was originally a Riverside loan. He basically could not answer where the fee was coming from. This continued for months until I put together a spreadsheet outlining my payments, dates of payments to show that not only were my payments current, they were overpaid!!! About a week later I get a notification (FINALLY) from the actual commercial loan guy about it. He explained that they had my spreadsheet and that it didn't agree with their records so he was going to send me his data so that I COULD FIGURE OUT THE DISCREPANCY!!! A few days after I received it, he called to 'check on my progress'. I told him that I was still working on it but didn't have anything definitive. (I have a business to run) He then told me that in 2018 TD bank was no longer going to renew any Riverside loans. My loan terminates in February 2018 giving me less than 90 days to find alternate financing!!!