TCF Bank / Manipulates posting of Trnasactions Resulting in outrageous Overdraft Fees
I've been a customer of TCF Bank for a couple of years now and have had a lot of overdraft fee issues. I thought they must have been my fault for miscalculating and not knowing how transactions post, but yesterday I found out that TCF Bank has been ripping me off the whole time.
On Feb. 12 my account balance was $205.14. I made four purchases totaling $45.23 bringing my account balance to $159.91. The same night I checked my account balance online and noticed an ACH transaction pending for $200 after the purchases that I made earlier that day. So I recorded the ACH transaction in my register and brought down my balance to -$40.09. I subtracted a $35 NSF fee amount because that's what the bank charges for overdrafing the account. My final account balnace was -$75.09. Yesterday, Feb. 15, 2009 I went to a TCF Bank and deposited $160.00 to my acoount to make it current and have a balance of $84.91. However, when I got the deposit receipt I noticed that it stated a -$20.09 balance. I was confused about what was going on. As soon as I got home I checked my account online and noticed that I had been charged $140.00 of NSF fees for the transactions that I had made on Feb. 12, 2009 before the actual transaction of $200 that had made my account negative.
I called TCF Bank and spoke to a man named Sebastian who told me that the reason why I had been charged the NSF fees for the other transacions even though I did have money in the account at the time was because TCF Bank posts the transactions from greatest to smallest, even though they weren't made in that order. He said the reason why the bank did this was because they want to pay off the more "SIGNIFICANT" amounts first like car payments, mortgage payments, etc., so it would be less inconvenient for the customer.
But to me, this method IS inconvinient and they are not being fair or ethical. They charge the customer various NSF fees by manipulating the order the transactions post. I know Bank of America got in trouble for the same thing and TCF bank should suffer the same consequences as BOA.
More TCF Bank Complaints & Reviews
- TCF Bank - TCF takes advantage of their customers! 
- TCF Bank - Hold on cash deposit 
- TCF Bank - Worst customer service ever 
- TCF Bank - TCF to pay in class-action 
- TCF Bank - Fraud and Customer Service 
- TCF Bank / TCF Financial Corporation - I received an email indicating there was fraud on my checking account.
- TCF Bank / TCF Financial Corporation - dishonest and unethical business services
- TCF Bank / TCF Financial Corporation - tcf bank closed my account with no notifications 
- TCF Bank - poor management of my checking account
- TCF Bank - mortgage balloon, mortgage modification