TCF Bank / Manipulates posting of Trnasactions Resulting in outrageous Overdraft Fees

I've been a customer of TCF Bank for a couple of years now and have had a lot of overdraft fee issues. I thought they must have been my fault for miscalculating and not knowing how transactions post, but yesterday I found out that TCF Bank has been ripping me off the whole time.

On Feb. 12 my account balance was $205.14. I made four purchases totaling $45.23 bringing my account balance to $159.91. The same night I checked my account balance online and noticed an ACH transaction pending for $200 after the purchases that I made earlier that day. So I recorded the ACH transaction in my register and brought down my balance to -$40.09. I subtracted a $35 NSF fee amount because that's what the bank charges for overdrafing the account. My final account balnace was -$75.09. Yesterday, Feb. 15, 2009 I went to a TCF Bank and deposited $160.00 to my acoount to make it current and have a balance of $84.91. However, when I got the deposit receipt I noticed that it stated a -$20.09 balance. I was confused about what was going on. As soon as I got home I checked my account online and noticed that I had been charged $140.00 of NSF fees for the transactions that I had made on Feb. 12, 2009 before the actual transaction of $200 that had made my account negative.

I called TCF Bank and spoke to a man named Sebastian who told me that the reason why I had been charged the NSF fees for the other transacions even though I did have money in the account at the time was because TCF Bank posts the transactions from greatest to smallest, even though they weren't made in that order. He said the reason why the bank did this was because they want to pay off the more "SIGNIFICANT" amounts first like car payments, mortgage payments, etc., so it would be less inconvenient for the customer.

But to me, this method IS inconvinient and they are not being fair or ethical. They charge the customer various NSF fees by manipulating the order the transactions post. I know Bank of America got in trouble for the same thing and TCF bank should suffer the same consequences as BOA.

Ml

Comments

• Pr
      22nd of Feb, 2009

Transactions normally take 1 to 3 days to post onto an account depending on the merchant. According to your timeline...the NSF's are legit. Do not blame a financial institution for your incapability to balance your check book. It is not TCF's fault that you did not deduct an AUTOMATIC ACH from your register.

• Ml
      23rd of Feb, 2009

PoudTCFer:

The fact that the bank posts transactions from greates to smallest caused me to be charged 4 NSF fees instead of 1. the AUTOMATIC ACH was pending after the transactions that I had done during the day, therefore it should had posted in the same order.

17th of Jun, 2009

TCF has done this to me.. 3 times over the last 6 weeks. I have never had a problem overdafting and i used to band out of state.. which caused longer posting times. Nope NOW its just a scam.. looking at when things are posted is comical that they can even get away with the ### they are pulling. Right now i have 6 NSF fees. ANd that is just the start... Leave this bank while you still can. They are a total scam! So is the "ProudTCmotherFer"

• Fr
      8th of Oct, 2009

I work there, and from what we are taught TCF apys the largest to smallest to avoid the return of large amounts which are usually the most important (I.E. mortgages, car payments, etc) !!