Sunset Group / Fraud and dishonesty!

1 Mexico Review updated:

Sunset Group - Royal Fishermam, Playa Del Carmen Mexico BUYER'S BEWARE !!! Do not purchase a time share with this company. They are Unethical, dishonest and should be put out of business. I am writing this complaint to warn every potential buyer of this horrible business and to hopefully bring total resolution to our experience. We vacationed in Playa Del Carmen in October 2007 and in the process of picking up our rental car, we were asked to attend a no pressure-quick 90-minute seminar at the Sunset Fisherman Resort.

This turned out to be a Big Mistake! The presentation was very high-pressured and very distracting. The whole ordeal took over 6 hours, surrounded by multiple sales staff taking turns talking to us. It was very overwhelming and confusing. The first offer to purchase was around 68 thousand dollars. This dropped to around 38 thousand when we were told they would purchase a U.S. timeshare we had for 30 thousand dollars. They said that they needed some business write offs for their firm. This seemed very odd since they did purchase this timeshare from us, then sold it back to us for one dollar.

They said this was a standard business practice in Mexico. This enticed us to purchase since we have tried to sell this timeshare in the U.S. with no success. Our thought was this would be a great time to sell this timeshare and get a very generous price for it. This was again was a bad mistake.

After signing the contract they offered to move us from the place we were staying in Playa into their resort for free to finish off our vacation. We decided to take advantage of this. During our vacation at Sunset Fisherman, we met a few other people that also purchased a timeshare from this firm but at a lower cost (exact same package).

After further review of our contract, we decided to cancel since we did not feel very comfortable about the whole business transaction. Therefore, we used the five day right of rescission as stipulated in the contract. We followed the terms of the contract termination clause (13) as written in the contract.

We wrote up a cancellation document and presented it to Sunset Fishermen (which was easy since we were staying there). They accepted this and said they would process the paper work and credit our accounts. When we arrived back in the United States we were pleased with our decision to cancel, especially after we found out there are thousands of complaints on the Internet about the Sunset Group. The problem we encountered was our credit card charges were never reversed so we wrote the Sunset group and requested refunds. They wanted us to send them a copy of our cancellation letter since they claimed they didn't seem to have it. This is when we knew the postings on the Internet were so very true.

We were being scammed and taken advantage of financially. We sent in the documents and waited for closure. This never happened, so we wrote several additional emails to this firm. We finally were contacted by a person named Rosalia Silva Campos. This person was useless and was very dishonest in her statements to us. We decided to fight this through our credit card companies. We did so and provided proof of our claim.

Now the Sunset Group threatens us with a collection agency and is attempting to ruin our credit. Un-believable, this firm must be put out of business. We are seeking total resolution.

Mi

Comments

• Wa
      30th of May, 2008

I cannot use my name but was scammed also. Have you ever thought of a class action suit or is that possible for an American citizen to file a class action in Mexico? Just a thought. I hate those people with a passion.

• El
      3rd of Jun, 2008

My fiancé and I were suckered into purchasing a "vacation package/timeshare" and absolutely can't believe that we fell for this!!

It all started the moment we stepped off of the airplane in Cancun, Mexico. We needed a cab to our hotel from the airport. I was directed to a lady at a counter where I could pay our cab fare there. I then noticed this same lady signaling another worker to direct us to one of the many kiosk type desks set up in the airport lobby. There sat another lady who showed us where our hotel was for the week and gave us a map of the area.

She then offered "free tickets" to area attractions (deep sea fishing, theme parks, snorkeling, diving, etc) if we would attend a 90-minute presentation over lunch the following day. Didn't seem like a bad deal to us. We should have known when she asked for a $40 deposit that would be returned to us upon completion of this presentation that something was up. We were at this so called "90 minute presentation" for the entire day, almost 8 hours!! They fed us a nice lunch, we toured 2 very nice resorts, were served free alcoholic beverages and then it all began.

They presented a vacation package that was so outrageously priced for two people our age that we felt quite certain that we could just turn this down and be on our way. Not the case at all, they worked and worked on prices and packages for hours continuously offering more alcoholic beverages along the way. We wanted to leave several times, telling them that we were not interested but they wouldn't back off!! Eventually got the price down to something we thought we could actually afford. After spending the entire day there with these pushy salespeople we finally agreed to purchase one of the packages.

My fiancé and I looked at each other the entire time wondering why in the world we were doing this. We were told that we had time to cancel if we changed our minds so that made us feel somewhat better. After signing all of the paperwork, they did return to us our $40 deposit that we had paid at the airport as well as the cab fare of $24 that they promised. We received our "free trip" tickets but ended up not even using them because departure times and actual trips were so limited compared to what they showed us at the airport. We did continue our vacation and had a great time in Cancun.

Upon arriving back home we entered our house all to find out that the air conditioning unit had broken and that it would now have to be replaced. After being faced with such an unexpected expense my fiancé and I decided that there was absolutely no way we could afford the "vacation package" that we had signed up for. Reading further into the many pages of documents that we had signed off on we find out that the plan had to be cancelled within 5 business days. You mean to tell me that I was suppose to sit in my hotel room reading documents during my vacation. We never would have dreamed that the deadline to cancel would be before our 7 day vacation was even over.

I was so mad upon reading this that we called immediately to complain and to see what we needed to do to cancel. Just sick to think that they get you right at the airport wanting you to come the very next day because they know if they can get you to sign that day that you will more than likely not read the pile of documents before your vacation is over.

We are now being told to write a letter to "the board" who will review it and see if we are approved to cancel our contract. We are also being told that even if we do get approved to cancel that we will not be credited our 25% deposit which is over $3, 500. This deposit, which we didn't even realize was being applied to a credit card that they apparently opened for us. They had us fill out a form and told us that is was in order to get our credit pulled to see if we could get a better percentage rate on our monthly payments.

My fiancé and I are well educated individuals and are absolutely sick at ourselves for getting suckered into this whole deal. My heart rate is through the roof as I write this letter and I get more and more upset as I look back to even proofread it. I wanted to share this with anyone that might be planning a vacation to Cancun because I do not want you to be a victim as well. Please be aware of these types of schemes. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out for us, but so far it is not looking good!!

Signed,
    Absolutely outraged!!

4th of Jun, 2008

My husband and I were scammed also. Have you been able to get any resolution?

20th of Oct, 2008

Our experience was similar:
    On August 31, 2007, my wife and I attended a sales presentation at Sunset Fishermen’s Village in Playacar. After a lengthy and compelling presentation given by Jose Luis Hernandez and Patricio Muldowney, my wife and I agreed to purchase a membership.
    On September 5, 2007, we notified Patricio Muldowney, a sales manager at Sunset Fishermen’s, of our intention to exercise our rights and cancel our contract within the 5 working days provided under Article 56 of Mexican Federal Consumer Protection law. Mr. Muldowney agreed to help us facilitate our request to terminate our contract, but when we had arrived at the office later that afternoon, we were told by Jose Luis Hernandez that Mr. Muldowney was “sick”, and had left the office for the day. We then informed Mr. Hernandez of our intention to exercise our rights under Mexican law and cancel our contract. Mr. Hernandez told us at that time that we could not cancel our contract, and he refused to accept our cancellation, either orally or in writing. Mr. Hernandez and another sales associate presented us with a copy of a document entitled “Marketing Agreement”, which he claimed waived our rights to cancel our contract, even though this waiver is not implicitly or explicitly stated in the Marketing Agreement document, and directly contradicts Mexican consumer law, which states that the right to cancel a contract cannot be “waived”.
    Additionally, we have repeatedly requested a copy of the catalog promised us so that we may exercise our additional membership privileges, but were recently informed by customer service representative Alvaro Cardena that we would not receive a catalog for as long as 90 days.
    We are seeking an immediate cancellation of our membership, and an immediate refund of all monies paid, for the following reasons:
    1. By not allowing us to exercise our rights to cancel our contract within the time period set by Mexican law, Jose Luis Hernandez, Patricio Muldowney, Alvaro Cardena, Rosalie Silva, Jennifer Snyder, and other participating members of the Sales, Marketing, Management, and Legal staff employed by Sunset Fishermen’s violated Mexican law and committed fraud. This effectively nullifies the contract.
    2. Sunset Fishermen’s is in breach of contract because of their failure to deliver the membership materials promised to us. As a result of this failure, we have not been able to exercise the membership privileges promised to us.
    Sunset has thus far refused to refund nearly six thousand U.S. dollars, and has turned our account over to their collection agency, RMI.

18th of Nov, 2008

Have you had any luck with your fight against these crooks? Our story is similar only we were foolish enough to pay in full and at our first opportunity to use the resort we were refused a reservations with over six months notice. There are so many complaints, is a class action lawsuit possible?

14th of Apr, 2009

If there is an Action Lawsuit going on some one please contact me thank you

14th of Apr, 2009

Hello If anyone is filing an Action Lawsuit against them please contact me, Thank you.

• Uk
      5th of Oct, 2009

What is your contact christina?

• Su
      30th of Oct, 2009
    Sunset Group - need help?
    sunset group
    Mexico

I have evidence showing the lies and how Sunset promotes it´s memberhsip.

If someone wants to make a discussion forum and share information, contact me ...

sunsetgrouplies@hotmail.com

1st of Nov, 2009

My wife and I had a bad experience with them also. At the airport they offered us nice rental SUV for the whole week for $99 if we would tour the "hotel". Basically, we gave them $99 cash, and then rented the car for 1 week, and they would give us a form to cover the rental at the end of the tour. I got suspicious when they kept adding 'requirements' to the tour that they did not mention before we rented the vehicle. Things like, you must be a married couple, must bring a credit card, must stay for the whole presentation. I wanted to cancel but my wife wanted the SUV for the week.

I agreed, but we agreed that if things got too far out of control we would walk out and just pay for the rental which was through hertz and eat the rental cost. The tour was nice, then came the HIGH pressure sales pitch. They started out at $300K for 4 weeks, plus you pay $99/per person per day every time you come, plus $1000 per year per week maintenance fees. I kept writing down there numbers and showing them how they provided no value compared to what we pay just by renting. The 90 minute presentation took 6 hours and they tag teamed 3 sales people on us trying to wear us down. By the end of the day they were down to $4000 for a 10 week base, + 10 weeks options, + 10 weeks corporate giveaways, + a free cruise for a 10 year contract. And every deal included the $1000 per week maintenance fee and $99/perday/person to come to the resort which is no deal considering that is 2x the amount I pay by NOT being a member of the club. At that point though I had caught them in so many lies and fraudulent claims that I just kept saying NO NO NO. Some of the lies:

1. There is equity in the "purchase". Big lie. I insisted on reading a sample contract under the guise of, if I like it I'll sign. It says right in the contract that you own nothing, it is a membership fee. I asked that if I decided I didn't like the "private residency" after using it a year or two from now, and since they claim these "private residencies ONLY go up in value" would they agree to buy it back from me at the same cost I paid. After all, they claimed it only went up in value and I was willing to agree in-writing to sell it back to them AT-COST if I ever decided I didn't want it. Of course they refused. That proved to me they were lying about the value of the "product". And they have right of refusal if the owner tries to sell it themselves. The contract also says a sale or transfer may take "60 days to a year and even that is not guaranteed."

2. They said it was tax deductible. It's a lie. The document they show is a complete fake. Ask to use the internet to download the real form from the IRS. Or tell them to hold on for a minute and use a cell phone to call your accountant or tax-professional. That really shakes them up.

3. The resort they showed us "Tres Rios", is not even listed in the contract as part of the deal. Lie #3. At this point I asked them to put away the marketing material and let's review the contract line-by-line so I "understand what you are selling".

4. I wanted to see what they were required to provide to us in the contract. All it says is "access to services". It does not guarantee you any actual access to a room for any amount of time. It does not guarantee any level of quality of the room. It does not say what "services" are. They showed us 1 great looking room, but would not allow us to randomly select an empty room in the building to check. They would not allow us to roam the facility or talk to any of the guests. When I pressured them about a guarantee regarding the quality of the room and services they completely balked. All they would say is "that is what your maintenance fee guarantees". My answer was that "the maintenance fee guaranteed they got paid to provide quality, not that I actually would get it."

5. If a hurricane destroys the building, there is no required repair or fix. And you cannot trade your 'private residence' to go somewhere else if it is destroyed.

6. The contract referenced a set of "rules" that we had to follow and says we agreed that we were shown the rules and agree to them. I asked to see the rules and they changed the subject. They refused to show me these mysterious rules.

7. I asked to take the contract home to have a lawyer review and if OK I would mail them a check and signed documents. They refused. They said they cannot do business via phone, fax, or email. I said "I said mail, not phone, not fax, and not email". They still refused to let me leave with a copy of the unsigned contract to review with an attorney. They offered to let me review with their on-sight lawyer but I refused that for obvious reasons.

8. If you pressure them. they will admit that trading your private residency with someone else costs $189 each time. Membership in RCI is extra and you have to pay that yourself if you want to trade any of your time at another resort.

9. They said we could come anytime to use our 'week'. But the contract actually lists only 7 months out of the year that we are allowed to use our "week".

At the end of the day, staying at an all-inclusive private residency 1week that they say I would 'own' would cost $971 maintenance fee + $99/pp/pd x 2 people x 7 days = $2357 not including any trade fees. While staying at the all-inclusive hotel we booked in cash only cost about $1000 for the whole week for the two of us. What a rip off and that's before considering the "membership fee" which varied but I had them down to $4000 for 10 years.

The whole thing is a rip off as far as I can tell and very stressful for anyone. I'll never agree to waste a full day of my vacation with these scammers again. I'd rather just pay for the SUV rental and enjoy my vacation. They did honor the initial agreement and pay for the SUV rental, and our transportation to and from the resort. But I had to say NO about a thousand times and really dig into them for details to essentially prove to them that they are rip off artists. It was very uncomfortable going back and forth with people that I caught in lie after lie, and half-truths, all day especially since we felt "captive". After coming home and investigating some more, I feel lucky to have gotten away from them alive.

• Sl
      21st of Feb, 2010

They got me too. I actually thought we had a decent price, and wanted the deal to work. But they lied about everything. We couldn't get reservations 9 months in advance. Our "VIP week" couldn't be booked at all. We couldn't use the 2 weeks concurrently (travel w/family). We couldn't extend a stay (at our cost) ouside of the proscribed 7 days. I did talk to the Tourist Police & a couple of quasi-consumer agencies the next time I was in Mexico, but everyone was extremely not helpful. I got a kick out of the Bilingual such & such agency for consumer complaints that was staffed by Spanish-only speaking staffers; not too helpful given my pidgin Spanish. If there is somesort of class action please count me in

• Su
      7th of Mar, 2010

We have the same story as you. Same lies...A class action is not possible, you would have to sue them in Mexico. Try Profeco, and don't take no for an answer. We were able to get our contract cancelled and $1, 000 of our $14, 000 back. So many have been ripped off it's amazing that the Mexican gov't allows these crooks to continue to operate.

• Ti
      7th of Apr, 2010

The tmeshare industry in Mexico is taking almost a Billion Dollars every year from Americans and Candians. They are taking away their earnest money based on lies and misrepresentation. I have collected evidence to support the claims of thousands of people deceived from this company. Share this info with your general attorney, the Federal Trade Commsision, the Consulate of Canada and USA in Cancún as well as any government agency that you believe might be interested in putting pressure in the Mexican Government to stop these companies from scamming more honest people.

Please visit this website (specially the video section) to know in detail how these companies operate.

• Ca
      7th of Apr, 2010

These guys are scammers and worst is that the Mexican Government lets them do to who ever they want.
    We contacted the Mexican Embassy in Canada who told us “Ill help you” and guess what we never heard back. Go figure.
    Mexicans are Mexicans they have no scruple and actually enjoy ripping hard working people off that they don’t have to work hard they are all scammers and probably in some type of Mexican Mafia.

Unfortunately we used to enjoy going to Mexico many times in the past but now we will never go to Mexico or buy anything that is made there.

We should all boycott that country.

• 68
      16th of Jun, 2010

They just called my house. Never spoke to them before. As the caller went on and on about this great deal, I googled them and page after page there were sites, like this, exploiting them for what they are. I want to thank all of you for your posts. I am sorry they stole your money, scammed you, but am glad that you are warning people, like me. I basically told the woman on the phone that I was reading posts about them and they were not good. Then told her I know they are scammers and not to bother me anymore.

29th of Nov, 2010

The Sunset Group is a scam. They tell you lies to make you buy their packages. I bought their package and regret it very much. I wish I had done some research about them...Ocean Spa Hotel, Laguna Suites Golf and Spa, Premier Cancun Vacations are all part of the Sunset Group.

• Mr
      20th of Dec, 2010

just got a call from them..there number is 18773342760 and the manager is named nelson..they were offering an 80% off on my wife for a vacation..good thing my wife is not at home and i'm the one who answered there call..i turned them down telling them that i can't decide yet and i need to talk to my wife..the guy is a filipino..i knew that cause i too am a filipino and he keeps on talking filipino dialect when he knew that i'm from the philippines..when he knew that i can't decide, he abruptly put the phone down..and because i feel bad of what he did, i tried to open my computer to see there website and file a complain on there customer service..but this is what i saw..a lot of complain and soon i realize that good thing i didn't fall for this scam..thank you all for posting this..you did really help a lot..just a simple advice, see more details before you decide..they are good, very good..but too good to be true..(Mr. J from California)

4th of Mar, 2011

We purchased a timeshare contract with Royal Sunset Beach Club after a VERY high pressure sales presentation that lasted for several hours with our 2 small boys in tow (ages 5 & 1 at the time) July 22, 2006 at the beginning of a week long vacation in Cancun (we were not leaving until day #6 & there was no readily available means to further evaluate this contract plus the 6 month delay to even access any of the "proposed benefits" presented in the contract / presentation). In addition to the fraudulent timeshare contract fee (discrepancies noted below) we were also required to pay an additional fee of $549 to Resorts International Marketing Corp. for exchange purposes and for Sunset to use first several years worth of weeks as credit towards contract fee. This was also to be used for rental purposes to provide rental income for our timeshare as an investment.

As multiple issues became apparent with our contract, we referred back to pages 5-6 regarding clauses 12, 13 and 14 that paraphrased states "Failure on the part of the "Promoter" to provide the service means the penalty is then that the "Promoter" is obliged to reimburse all amounts paid by the "Member" for the undelivered services. We attempted on a number of occasions to work out the issues with Sunset and their only solution was 1) either to continue to pay on the fraudulent contract or 2) to accept a contract cancellation with no refund of our monies already paid to Sunset (neither of those options were acceptable).

After multiple attempts to rectify the situation we escalated our complaint to PROFECO as well as registering our complaint with econsumer.gov. Our primary problems are:

1. FRAUD (charge #1) - Pg. 1 of Membership Purchase Agreement shows balance financed as $9, 815.00, however Amortization schedule, pg. 1 shows balance financed as $10, 295 in addition to the fact that this was financed at a 6.9% interest rate. There is nothing stated in the contract
    to justify the additional $480 added to the $9, 815.00 balance.

2. FRAUD (charge #2) - Pg. 1 of Membership Purchase Agreement shows annual maintenance fee is $719 which matches the fee for Cancun Sunset Club (Royal Sunset - on the beach), however when 2008 week was paid for Royal Sunset, the week that space banked with RCI was for Sunset Lagoon which has a lower maintenance fee of $616 per the 2006 schedule. Therefore we are being charged a higher maintenance fee and receiving a lesser accommodation exchange with RCI.

3. UNAUTHORIZED ATTEMPT TO ACCESS OUR CREDIT CARD - 6/8/2010 documentation showed verification from our bank that Sunset tried not once BUT twice to access our Visa Card for $822 on May 17, 2010 & again on June 1, 2010 (which Sunset denied the first time I notified them regarding
    the May 17 charge, in an email dated Sat. May 22, 2010 @ 12:56 PM).

In addition to these serious issues, other problems noted, included:
    1. Interclub transfer was not just an even exchange for only $89 as presented - instead Sunset tacked on additional fees that basically came to the full price of a week long hotel rental at an Interclub resort. The majority of resorts available through the interclub program were some of the worst rated resorts in the RCI manual.
    2. Resorts International Marketing Corp. was not the rental program that was presented and that Sunset required us to pay an additional fee for. Once we initiated the contract dispute / cancellation, we were told that the RIMC fee would be refunded but after 2 unauthorized attempts to charge our credit card, I am leery of providing that information to them again.
    3. Billing discrepancies of not charging the biennial maintenance fee when they had the credit card info on file and were charging monthly payments and then charging us a late fee. Charging our credit card for the monthly finance fee after we had contacted Sunset and told them specifically they were no longer authorized to debit payments from our card (late 2009). After this they charged our credit card and cashed a "check" payment for the same month's payment. This took several months to correct.
    4. Multiple issues requiring emails and phone calls to get the RCI membership fee paid that was in the contract and also to take care of various other administrative issues with limited response.

While Sunset continues to argue their case to illegally keep our money during negotiations with PROFECO, we are continuing to present justification to prove our point of Sunset's failure to uphold the terms of our contract (clauses 12, 13 and 14) and the fraudulent means they have taken to maintain this position. I will continue contacting appropriate websites and agencies to present and/or post my case and the ongoing issues I have with Sunset and their goal to keep our money.

Thank you for your time and if anyone has any further suggestion regarding how to solve this, please let me know. email: gatorpachris@hotmail.com

• Vi
      23rd of May, 2013

It's such a shame that these crooks are taking advantage of vacationers. Same happened to me in Playa del Carmen. but this timeshare by Royal Elite/Sandos. We attended the presentations just to get the freebies, , after 4 hours, we started to get a little frustrated, we just wanted to go out of there, we didn't care about the free gifts anymore, the swore the product they were selling wasn't a timeshare, but pretty damn sure it was. NEVER again, I feel sorry for the people who end up falling for the Royal Elite Timeshare trap. Beware of timeshare scams in Mexico!! this is a forum with more complaints made to royal elite:

• Fg
      20th of Jun, 2013

Same thing happened to us. We purchased the membership in 2008 for Tres Rios cancun and went to the resort for the first time this year. While we were there they started to pressure us about meeting with them - since it was our first trip back - so they can tell us how much the value of our purchased had gone up. We told them that we were there to relax and did not want any meeting. I can't even begin to tell you how they continually bother us to meet...with a promise that it was not to sell us anything but just to provide us with new information. We finally caved in and agreed to meet the last day that we were there. I totally regret this. They kept us there for almost 4 hours pressuring us to upgrade our contract to receive extra weeks and other privileges. I can't begin to tell what a horrible experience it was. We kept telling them that we had some place to go and were late and we needed to leave. They kept bring a new person to promise us more and after 4 hours I was so nervous and couldn't think anymore - we agreed and gave a deposit. BIG MISTAKE!!! However since it was our last day there, when we got back the very next day I called to cancel the contract upgrade as was my right according to - THE EARLY TERMINATION OF THE CONTRACT paragraph in our contract. We were well within our 5 business day window. I emailed the contract attorney that was at the meeting to inform him of our decision to cancel and if I sent an email was it legal and he said it was and there would not be a problem. I also sent registered letters immediately just to be sure and cover all angles. They had already charged my credit card for the deposit. I got a call for a Jose Aguirre, who said he represented the Corporate Membership Services and the legal department. He very nicely said that they would refund my deposit - HOWEVER there was a reactivation fee - to reactivate my old contract at a cost that was more that the upgrade cost. Now there is no mention in any part of the contract of any reactivation fee, "so how could this be legal" I asked and he told me that it was there policy. Well!! You can imagine that I that point I knew something was wrong with this and I was dealing with cons. I kept going back and forth with them. Since we had already paid for our first contract we felt we couldn't afford to let that go so when they offered to give us two other options we listened. The first was to continue with the upgrade - which we did not want. The second was - they would keep our deposit as the activation fee and gives us 20 extra corporate weeks and a paid membership for two years with Ice Gallery, which is suppose to be worth thousands according to them. We accepted the second option. This was in March and up until this day they still haven't paid our membership to Ice Gallery. I keep calling but to no avail.

I wrote them and informed them that they were in breach of our contract - for failure to honor refund policy stated in the contract and for undisclosed or unsubstantiated charges, not mention in contract and for service never received. I would very much like to escalate this and would be willing to be part of a class action suit, but I don't know where to go from here. If anyone has information on contacts I would appreciate the info. They have an office in Miami - which they do business from there. I'd like to see if any of our government agencies can at least stop them from doing business in the U.S.