Starving students / Damaged my furniture and hidden it

United States Review updated:

I hired Starving Students to move me from my house in Chandler Arizona to my new house six miles down the road on June 25, 2017. After the movers finished the move it was discovered that they had broken the end base piece of a very expensive nine piece oak Entertainment Center. Instead of notifying me when the damage was taken place, they put the damaged piece behind all of the other furniture in the family room to hide it. The movers also moved two ceramic garden hose pots. The movers broke one of the pots by dropping it on the ground. I notified and filed a claim with the movers. They denied ever moving the ceramic pot and stated that they advised me that they would not be able to move it from one house to the other. They also denied ever damaging the entertainment center. In order for me to file a claim with the movers I was required to weigh the damaged piece. Because the piece they damaged was part of a nine piece set, I felt it was appropriate to weigh all of the pieces as they have to work together. The total weight for all the pieces is approximately 485 pounds. They're supposed to pay .60 cents per pound for reimbursement. Not only did they lie and say they did not damage any items but they would be happy to give me $45.00 for my troubles. I have filed a claim with the American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) and will have no problem taking this as far as I can take it. It is time these rip off companies get what they deserve.

Ob

Comments

21st of Aug, 2008
    Starving students - Terrible service

I had to deal with Starving Students when I bought my first house. I had arranged for the two bedroom apt to be moved on the day of closing. I called at least two weeks in advance and was assured that I had a reservation. The day before, I called to check and was told they did not have me scheduled. The agreed to move me two days later. The receptionist assured me that items such as dressers could be shrink wrapped and the contents undisturbed. When they arrived, they used packing tape instead of the wrap. Glass was broken, pieces were left behind. They arrived at 9 am and they did not arrive at the new home until 2 am. It was a good thing that I did not give credit card information ahead of time. I simply refused to pay them and contacted a lawyer with photos of damages. I had to hire another u-haul and some labor to get what they left, so i presented a bill. The damage costs and U-haul cancelled out the $700.00 + fee they requested.

18th of Sep, 2008

Starving Students does 50, 000 moves per year and merely 2% of our moves regrettably result in a claim. We are recommended by the California Moving and Storage Association, and have more than 35 years of experience in this industry. We are disappointed that you were not satisfied. Please contact our corporate office if you would like to pursue your complaint further and we would be happy to address your concerns.