Staples / extended warranty

PA, United States Review updated:

Don't every buy a warranty from staples. My computer has been back 4 times now and worse then every. Went in for one thing and have had problems every since. All you get is well you will have to send it back again.

Comments

• Wa
      4th of Jan, 2011

I purchased the extended warranty on a printer, based on the salesperson's statements to me that if I had a problem with the printer I could bring it back to the store for an immediate replacement. As I was purchasing the printer for my home office, and did not want to be without a printer if it broke, this sounded like a reasonable option. I purchased the two year "Date-of-Purchase, Technical Support & Protection Plan" for $29.99. When I had problems with the printer six months later, and could not fix the problem using telephone tech-support, I attempted to exchange the printer at the store. The store manager refused to abide by the terms of the warranty as they had been explained to me. When I questioned the manager and a salesperson about what the salespeople were telling their customers; I was told to leave the store or be arrested. I chose to leave the store and conduct my own investigation into what the Staples salespeople are telling customers to get them to buy the extended warranties.

I posed as someone interested in purchasing a printer and visited six Staples stores in the Denver area, two in the Orlando area, and five in the Portland, Oregon area. I found that all the salespeople misrepresented what the true terms and conditions of the extended warranty were. If it had been a small percentage of salespeople misrepresenting the terms and conditions; it may have indicated improper conduct on the part of individuals. However, when the sales pitch misrepresenting the terms and conditions is detailed and consistent from Orlando to Denver to Portland; it is my opinion that this represents a pattern of a business intentionally trying to mislead or defraud its customers. If you have had a similar experience, contact me at warrantyfraud.org

1st of Apr, 2011

When I purchased an HP G71-340 laptop computer from Staples, I was sold a three-year extended warranty that was seamlessly to continue the HP 1-year warranty for 2 additional years. Before the HP warranty was up, I contacted them with a computer speaker problem. They failed to resolve the issue. I went back to work. It takes hours to deal with HP on technical issues. Today, with my extended warranty in place, I contacted Staples ESP about the speaker problem. I was curtly told by both a technical contact and her supervisor that because I had called HP about this issue, it was a "pre-existing condition" and NOT covered by the extended warranty. I checked with the tiny print on the contract and found the pre-existing phrase. It referred to conditions existing prior to "issuance" of the coverage. The technical service plan was issued to me the day I purchased the computer, and the condition did not exist at that time. So, it was NOT a pre-existing condition according to the contract. However, the supervisor still refused to create a service work order. I think they are charged to refuse service wherever possible. Unless they fix this problem, I will avoid Staples - and advise others to do the same.

• Ba
      30th of Jun, 2011

I can see this happening. The machine broke down under the warranty with HP and you failed to get it resolved. Now you want Staples to cover a defect that should have been repaired by the manufacturer. Personally, if the time was short before the HP warranty ended, I would have waited until the Staples warranty took effect and contacted them. They are much easier to deal with. HP is a horror story.

• Ca
      12th of May, 2012

what they dont tell you. we also bought the extended warranty for a printer. and 11 months later when the printer failed they replaced it, with a refurbished unit that had printed over 700 items, it also had loose parts and leaked ink all over the rug, we requested a different printer and they sent another refurbished unit that printed over 900 copies, we are able to take pieces from refurb printer no 1 and put on refurb printer no 2 and get a working printer, for awhile. less than 6 months later, the replaced refurb printer No. 2 died and we are looking at having to buy another printer, since the replacement is only a one... time event ( with a refurb unit). was it worth the cost of the warranty to end up with a refurbished unit?? I dunno. but I wont be doing it again.

• Si
      20th of Jun, 2012

If you have this issue, you can swing by the store. Each area has a liaison for the guarantor of our Service Plans. If the phone support gives you the runaround, you can visit the store and we can call them.

I've yet to have a legitimate problem (such as this) not on it's way to resolution by the end of the phone call.

• Kb
      4th of Sep, 2012

Don't buy protection plans from them either. If you have to use it after you buy it they tell you that you canceled it! Unbelievable!