Stamps.com / Don't waste your money!

Do you believe that it is a waste of money to be billed $15.99 per month from an on-line business in exchange for no products, no service? Do you believe that an on-line business should be able to charge $15.99 for a "subscription" that gives a person an "opportunity" to print stamps on-line even if the unwilling customer tells them that they do NOT want to print stamps on-line?

What do you think about a business who refuses to cancel this "subscription" even after the unwilling customer explains that inadvertently they signed up with them thinking they were signing up with the United States Postal Service for a package pick up? What do you think about a business that will agree to cancel this monthly "subscription" ONLY if the victim agrees to an additional monthly service charge of $15.99...so this business receives a minimum of $31.98 in exchange for nothing... or as I asked them, "You gave me what in return? Air?"

What do you think about a business that keeps charging $15.99 per month, even after they were told both by the victim and by the victim's credit card company that the transaction is disputed? What would you say if I told you that this on-line business is a vendor of the U.S. Postal Service?

Here's what I say: "Don't Waste Your Money."

In my opinion, the experience I had with Stamps.com was a total waste of my time and money at best, and perhaps fraudulent. I feel I was deceived and victimized.

I question why the U.S. Postal Service allows this type of activity from one of their vendors. Perhaps this company known as STAMPS.COM offers a legitimate service to the U.S. Postal Service, perhaps the U.S. Postal Service receives something of value in return from their collaboration, perhaps the U.S. Postal Service receives a percentage of each $15.99; but for many unsuspecting victims, like me, STAMPS.COM offers nothing but deceit and aggravation.

I question why month after month, I continue to see charges from Stamps.com even after my first cancellation call in February. Each month, I am forced to contact my credit company, dispute the charge, fill out paperwork, and have the charge reversed. The next month the charge appears once again. I question how many others have been victimized the same way I was victimized. I question how many victims are even aware that they are being scammed by this business. The charge appears on the credit card as stamps.com. If a person is not careful, they would see stamps and think it was a charge from the post office.

I question Stamps.com's AA rating with the Better Business Bureau, even though Stamps.com has over 1,200 issued complaints. I question how many people don't bother to complain. It's time consuming. After all it's only $15.99 per month. Maybe a more thorough investigation would get the Better Business Bureau to take a closer look at Stamps.com. Even Enron had a good rating before an investigation revealed the truth to the public.

Perhaps one or two of the items above will raise a red flag with you. Perhaps your viewing audience should know about the scam so that they don't waste their money.

A  9th of Nov, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
You are not alone, why can't the feds stop them' find a form on USPS that attains to this. Stamps.com suddenly appear on my check card statement, I really do not know how they got the card number, probably through a promotion unrelated to stamps. a week after the first charge of $15.95 showed up a second charge $15.95 appeared, My father called Stamps.com to get an explanation and to complain approx. 1 week after the second charge, Their explanation was that if you join a gym and don't use it you still have to pay for your membership, and will not do any thing until they talked to me. the following day they charged another $15.95 for a total off $47.85 in three weeks. I called them to stop charges and get refund, They would not refund the monies, and said that they will charge me one more time, at this point I had to close my account out, as the only way to stop them taking more money. These people cost me $105.00 additionally in overcharge fees. My father went to different sites Amazon.com for example that had an obscure promotion and got as far as giving a credit card number without once seeing any fee costs. This is a scam with support from United States Postal Service, Amazon.com, UPS,. Fox news. to name a few/With these typical companies support they have made scams a legitimate business.

Check out /link removed/ and http www.scams.com, http://www.complaints.com, search for stamps.com complaints.
A  21st of Nov, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Ha! What a scam! Luckily for me, my 18 year old son accidentally misplaced my ATM card which I reported lost to my bank. Stamps.com was unable to deduct the funds! They sent me a "bill" for 63.00 . I asked the representative what the charges were for in light of the fact that I had never bought postage or used their services, and he told me "For holding an account with Stamps.com"! I flatly refused to pay, and hung up on him. After several emails back and forth, I told them that I would be filing a complaint with the BBB. 2 hours later I received an email stating that they were waiving the charges and canceling my account. I plan on reporting them anyway. Why should I have to go through that kind of harassment when all I was doing was considering a product as a consumer? Nice try Stamps.com.
N  11th of Apr, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
THIS COMPANY IS TERRIBLE AND FULL OF BS!!! . They claim to give you a "trial" period and charge you before it's over and refuse to give a refund. I had to contact my credit card company to remove the charges. They are a POORLY RUN BUSINESS, ABSOLUTE VULTURES, and simply unnecessary! You can go online to the USPS and do it yourself! You don't need them and that ridiculous software.

STAMPS.COM should go out of business, and hopefully will if we all stop using them!

A  24th of Apr, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I had stamps.com for a day for their 30 day free trial. Even though I canceled with 29 days remaining of the free trial, I was charged for the trial!

If you have stamps.com complaint, file a complaint with the BBB (www.bbb.org), your state's Attorney General's office as well as the California Attorney General's office.
N  14th of May, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I found a way to cancel. There is a Stamps.com phone number on the Better Business Bureau Los Angeles site. As of May 14, 2008 there were 736 complaints regarding this issue on BBB. It is impossible to get through the 1-888 customer service number. To cancel, call (310) 482-5800. Press '0' for operator and mention the issues regarding canceling. I got a nice lady who transferred me to a customer service rep 'Rich' who graciously canceled my account in seconds. Also got a confirmation email and final account statement showing zero balance as I canceled during trial period. Good luck!
N  3rd of Jul, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have just spoke with stamps.com and tried to close my account the third.

They keep you on the phone for long long time.

True. true. true ***

Stamps.com was a total waste of my time and money.

True. true. true***
A  7th of Aug, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Total scam . A fraudulent hotmail account was somehow created and used to sign me up for the service. Monthly charges mysteriously showed up on my Amex account. Was able to cancel after being on hold for a while. On the phone, could not get rep to credit fees for unused service. Filed a complaint with the BBB and have since received credit. I'd suggest everyone do the same.
A  9th of Sep, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Just blogged about my experience--only thereafter did I do a search for other complaints. I'll have to link this to my blog! http://randomthoughtsfromdonna.blogspot.com/2008/09/perils-of-free-trials-and-contracts.html
A  29th of Sep, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Even if you cancel your credit card (I did) they will still try and get your $. they bill me every month for the past 3-4 YEARS saying they need a new credit card #!! Like I could give it to them!

the service stinks, can't reach customer service and to top itall off I never even got me "fre scale" or postal supplies!
A  4th of Nov, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I work at a class action law firm and we are investigating this issue. I am interested in talking to people and hearing about their experiences. Please contact me at abby1100ny@yahoo.com if you have had trouble canceling your account with stamps.com, have been billed fraudulently by stamps.com, or have any questions on this investigation. Thanks, Abigail.
N  13th of Nov, 2008 by
Do not have a record of orderig this program.
A  17th of Nov, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
It is Nov. 17th 2008 and I don't know why I am shocked that I just found fraudulent charges from Stamps.Com on my credit card. I have never used them. I have no clue how they got my credit card number.

But, they have been billing me 17.95 (usd) a month, and I just figured it out. Discover Card is refunding my money. And I am going through the hassle of cancelling and waiting for a new card.

Now, here is the weird part. After I cancelled my card this morning, I went to a website I had never been too before. It was an astrology website. And all of a sudden, these little stamps.com boxes started popping up on myscreen.

So, I cleared my cache. Because I thought to myself, what if they have a tracker that can copy all of the saved "form data" on a persons computer? I don't know if that is possible, but I just thought, maybe possibly?? it was all too weird, to just have an issue with them, and then have some random blank box pop up on my screen that says stamps.com minutes later????

I think I was on their site once many months ago, looing for online stamps. But never decided to go that route...

This fraudulence blows my mind...
A  22nd of Nov, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
All of this is consistent with my experiences. I was mislead into thinking that there was a one month free trial for ordering postage through Stamps.com. When I found it impossible to work the process, I abandoned it, never having used this service ever. A month later, a $15.99 debit appeared on my bank balance charged by Stamps.com. I alerted the bank to this unauthorized charge, and put a block on Stamps.com to prevent any future debits to my bank account.

In April, I received an invoice for the amount of $31.98 with a remark that Stamps.com was unable to process my monthly charge from my credit card. Stamps.com continued to bill me for the next two months, finally reaching the amount of $63.96. I had moved to another state in June, and a month later I had another invoice re-routed to my new address. I Email Stamps.com on August 3rd, and the following day received four Email responses all within two minutes of each other. The first gave an accounting of the $63.96 with an offer to credit the previous month's charge of $15.99, bringing the total down to $47.97. A second Email confired this credit. Minutes later, I received another Email stated their inability to charge $63.96 on my bank account. The fourth Email stated, "We are sorry to see you go." It also went on to state, "If you purchased postage through Stamps.com, we will begin processing your refund for any unused postage one your final balance has been paid in full. Please allow 4-6 weeks to receive your refund check."

I called the Customer Service number, and was given the official "monthly service charge" justification, regardless of whether I used their services or not. It made it abundantly clear that I had no interest in paying for a service that I never received and urged them to cease harrassing me with unwarrented charges. I was informed that I was obligated to close the account, and was assigned a Cancellation Confirmation Number, and directed to send final payment to their address in Dallas, Texas. I asked them to send me an accounting in writing explaining these charges which I had been disputing. I then receive a Collections Notice dated 9/19/08 for the amount of $63.96. I light of the two Email of August 4th indicating a credit of $15.99, Stamps.com charged an additional month after I had notified them of my intention to cancel.

I received a Second Collections Notice for $63.96 dated 10/24/08 with a threat to turn the matter over to a collection agency. I have since assembled a package documenting this story to be sent registered mail to Stamps.com, Deprt. 0398, PO Box 120398, Dallas, Texas, 75312-0398, and will be following suit with a similar package to the Better Business Bureau, and The United States Postal Authorities.
A  13th of Jan, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
We have also been recently victimized by stamps.com. Our situation did not look very promising until we ran across the above post from Sav. We made one phone call and followed the instructions given. That was all it took! The supervisor for stamps.com was very interested why/how we got this phone number but we played dumb. They know what they are doing is wrong and it makes us sick that USPS is endorsing them. They do not deserve the endorsement from USPS and it takes victims as ourselves to voice that. Everyone call/email USPS and let them know the injustice!
A  22nd of Jan, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I signed up with them February 2008 and threaten to trash their freakin business all over the internet if they didn't cancel my account with them. They tried to say they would be more then happy to do so provided I pay them a $15 cancellation fee. I was like "Hell No"! You already got me for $15.00 for one month - like the person who wrote the article said just for "air". I got no product and no services - just jacked for $15 because I did not even use their service that month. So you damn sure ain't getting another penny from me. They did cancel my service. But I made sure I gave them my paypal debit card and if there is no money on your account, paypal will deny the charge. I wasn't crazy enough to give them the debit card number that was linked to my personal checking account. I've dealt with internet thieves like this before. Plus I cancelled that card and reported it stolen, just to make sure they wouldn't try to jack me for another $15 fee even though they said they cancelled the account and wouldn't charge me the cancellation fee. You just can't trust these newbie internet companies, cause they too freakin greedy and ready to prey on innocent consumers! But they picked the wrong one to mess with that day!
D  18th of Feb, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
In October, I sign up with stamps.com thinking it was a apart of the USPS but found out it wasn't. How can a company charge way less than the United States Post Office, that's unheard of.

I didn't sign up for it because I don't send mail or packages out often to use the service. I thought I see what this company has to offer, it offered a scale which I didn't have or owned. It offered several free $10 to my account which I didn't need. And for the last three or more months which I didn't know, they were charging me 17.99 a month. I am a student and have a car, why would I need such a plan. I don't even have netflix. I called and they said they were charging for a "postage license". I don't understand it at all.

I am feed up with this company. I called and complained, they wont issue my refund so I'm taking up here. I am willing to sue this company for those who are hurt. CLASS ACTION!

San Francisco, California.
A  11th of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Same problem happened to me. I officially hate this company. I canceled 27 days into it and they still charged me for a free 28 FREE trial period. YOU need to stop this company.
A  25th of Mar, 2009 by
My experience has been similar. The (310) phone number above did result in customer service that speeks English as a first language; don't call the toll free unless you are fluent in Hindu. First rep acknowleged I had tried to cancel prior to end of free trial, but call was disconnected before security questions could be answered. He assured me his "supervisor" could take care of it. She took care of cancellation, but said she could not refund bogus charges. I will dispute with credit card company and file with BBB. I am appalled that the USPS allows them to remain a partner, and will file complaint with the Postmaster General and Postal Inspection Service as well as my state AG.

YOU SUCK Stamps.com!
A  26th of Mar, 2009 by
I do NOT recommend stamps.com service at all, their monthly charges sucks, even you do not use. And they make cancellation SO HARD!!! You have to call and wait in line for someone to show up, maybe in india. It is not straight forward!!

When I called to cancel my account, they asked SO MANY questions, and keep telling me how good their service is. Even give me trial period, I have to CALL BACK a month later to decide cancel or not!! NO way. I have been wasting the monthly charges for 10 months!!

Just KEEP AWAY this company as soon as you can, they are NOT professional at all. They should NOT make cancellation so hard if they were in good business, absolutely they are not.

Also their postage is much higher than endicia. The feature is not as rich as Endicia, Insurance fee is much higher, and cancellation is MOST DIFFICULT!! you have to CALL, and verify every single bit.

Also DO NOT GIVE YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER TO STAMPS.com, put any random number if you want to use them, they are NOT FINANCIAL institution/BANK, they are NOT ALLOWED to have your social by LAW.
N  26th of Mar, 2009 by
Another thought on this, if you GAVE THEM your SOCIAL SECURITY number, you might be pissed off if they keep charging you monthly fees although you never use.

They are JUST software company by a group of Indian, maybe, so THEY ARE NOT US POSTAL OFFICE!! Why should those IT people have your social??

Other company like Endicia does much better job, and they do not ask for your social, and much easy for cancel if you decide not use.

Stamps.com Logo Stamps.com