[Resolved] Spokeo.com / they will not give you a refund when you discover their site is a scam

Terrible...a people search website that promises to retrieve info from hundreds of databases, including social sites...has reverse phone lookup, etc. Perhaps before people began tightening down on internet privacy, this site could have been effective, but now there's no info available out there on anybody. Usually Spokeo's search cannot even find someone who is registered on Facebook. No refunds are given either, so if you sign up for the 3 or 6 month subscription in hopes of saving money, they will not give you a refund when you discover their site is a scam.

• Resolution statement

• Spokeo Customer Care's Response, Sep 12, 2012

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Spokeo is a People Search Engine, and aggregates only publicly-accessible data from a multitude of sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. For this reason, Spokeo preserves and protects the privacy terms of all third-party content and does not grant access to private email accounts, profiles or blogs. Our information depends entirely on the amount of digital footprints left by email users, as well as the privacy settings maintained by the user. The reason you did not see profile matches for the individual you were searching for may be because they have their profiles set to private. These days, the privacy settings, especially at Facebook are very customizable. Should the user (of one of our supported sites) not want to be found, we honor that at Spokeo.

While Spokeo does have a no-refund policy, we do of course make exceptions in situations of extreme dissatisfaction with our service. I have sent you a private message regarding a full refund. I apologize again for the frustration that this has caused you.

Sincerely,
    Spokeo

• Spokeo Customer Care's Response, Sep 24, 2014

Dear User,

I do apologize for the inconvenience caused with this issue and we will be more than happy to assist you. Please contact us directly at [protected]@spokeo.com so we may assist you in this matter.

Sincerely,
    Spokeo

Os

Comments

• Fo
      12th of Sep, 2012

These places can only give out the information that they can find. Not all information is available for everybody. For example there has been times that I lost a phone number for somebody that I know has a land line phone and when I look in the phone book for the number the person isn't listed, because they have a non-published number. I paid for a one month subscription to Spokeo awhile back and found the exact information that I was looking for. Apparently the information that you wanted wasn't available.

• Co
      15th of Aug, 2014

SPOKEO is a scam! I performed 2 searches on known names and email addresses and yet i did not recieve any results. I have contacted customer support THREE times!! I have not even so much as had one response. The comment above states they have a "no refund policy" which is b.s. because on the FAQ page this is posted:

"Can I get a refund if I’m unsatisfied with Spokeo?
    We value the opportunity to resolve any form of dissatisfaction and encourage you to contact Customer Care to request a refund. "

Sooooo where's my refund???????????????

• Da
      16th of Dec, 2017

Hello...this isn't really so much a complaint, as it is a question you could help me with. My younger cousin used my card to open an account in order to look up contact information for an ex of his. This was of coarse done without my knowlage, or permission. I'm about to cancel the subscription directly after this comment is finished. Is there a process or way to get a refund for this? I don't want to persue legal action, as he is family, and a kid. Anything we can do here?