Complaints & Reviews

Spokeo.combogus web site

spokeo is supposed to contain information about people, none of which was correct, as I did check on myself AFTER having to pay a memebership fee of $35.00. I notified them that I wanted to cancel membership..they did but you don't get your money back..NO REFUND POLICY...so they keep your money..what a way to do business.
You charge people for something which you don't provide the truth about and get paid for it. Great way to run a business..NO a SCAM...we should have cyberpolice to handle these rip offs...

RESOLVED

• Spokeo's response · Jun 07, 2012

Dear Spokeo User,

I'm sorry to hear about this. Spokeo does not guarantee full results for every search you perform. When you perform a free basic search, we pull information from what was cached from the last update. If this was a while ago, the information may be outdated. Being a Premium subscriber grants you access to the most up-to-date searches. For this reason, the information may be different than on the preview page. I'm sorry if you were under the wrong impression and hope to assist you in whatever way possible.

Spokeo showcases the power of information aggregation, as the data is gathered from a multitude of different sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. We also organize the information so that it makes sense for you, as a user. However, machine aggregation has its limits. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

Please do get in touch with us again, as we would like to resolve this issue for you.

Sincerely,
      Spokeo

• Sr
      SRFTRF Jun 14, 2010

This is a "peoplesearch" site scam. They let you do a search for free then tell you they have more information if you pay a subscription. Then, after you purchase a subscription they simply say "There is no more information on your search".
      It is a ROTTEN BUNCH OF LIARS. Then they simply tell you "we don't guarantee results" BUT they tell you they DO have information if you just pay for subscription but then they DON'T!

Mallee May 22, 2011

It is annoying and invasive to have one's personal and financial information so easily accessible for a small fee, but Spokeo has crossed the line when it puts children's names and information on its site. I found my preschool granddaughter's information listed even though her parents had requested to be removed from the service. Included was their address and a picture of their house, in addition to the other categories available for viewing. One only needs to pick up the newspaper any day of the week and read about the ends to which child predators will go to lure their prey. It would be easy to lure a child with such information, especially a very young child. It should be illegal to post personal information about anyone under the age of majority. However, at the least, company policy should be changed. It's he moral and socially responsible thing to do.

• Ni
      Nissare Jun 07, 2012

The reason I purchased a membership is that my spouse of ten years was listed as having a dating website in the non premium section; however there where no dating sites displayed in the premium search. I have since contacted them and they have not offered a refund but promised to look into it. It is my opinion that the site prays on the insecurities of people for profit. In the user agreement it states that spokeo can not guarantee the accuracy of information presented in the search, this information was in and advertisement and was not substantiated. Imagine the stress of suspecting your spouse of cheating. Some of the information provided included a home value in excess of 800k, the home is valued at closer to 125k.

Spokeo Person Finderpersonal information and wrong information

Spokeo has my name, where I live, what I do for a living and some wrong information for others to see.

• Di
        disgusted by Spokeo May 02, 2010

Spokeo states incorrect information about every person I entered for a search. I could not believe all of the misleading information that they are providing. They HAVE TO BE STOPPED from posting private information.

www.Spokeo.compersonal info

This site has personal information on it that I would like others to get there hands on.
      They have a link you can push to delete your information from the site and I have tried repeatedly to do so and cant get it to work. I have many friends on facebook that have tried as well and cant delete their information either.
      I did send an email to their customer service reps and still have heard nothing back.
      I have recently gotten divorced and moved because of domestic situation in the house and I do not want my ex husband to be able to find me.
      Please help. This seems almost against the law that they can sell my information on the internet.
      I thank you for your time and attention to the matter.

• Th
          Thomas Jurkovac Jan 18, 2011

I cannot get mine removed either and I followed the directions. I don't like my address and pone number
          up there for everyone to see. How can they get your cell phone numbers anyway? What right do these
          people have putting your info up there if you did not do it yourself anyway? There should be a law
          about this, perhaps I should email the White House.

• Tj
          TJ632 Apr 04, 2011

Brenda, it is gone now but there are other sites who have personal info on the Search even. I looked for my my name
          my wife's name and our names came up along with age and our city and state. Good thing we are moving.

Spokeo.comspokeo deception

Just think about it. They sell you an unethical service (cyber-stalking), and you expect them to ethical themselves? I have a nice bridge to sell you.

Don't be fooled. You will not be able to stop them from illegally charging your credit card until you cancel that credit card. They have the credit card dispute departments wrapped around their finger with their deceptively-worded fine print.

You will lose time, money, and your peace of mind.

• Jp
            jpv626 Apr 06, 2010

Is there no way to put a stop to spokeo?
            They are deceptive and invasive etc.

• Za
            zaxeez Apr 10, 2010

Let's find Mr Harrison Tang the founder and let him know how we feel about his website

• Ha
            Harrison Tang Is A Criminal Apr 11, 2010

If you've got a credit fraud claim against them, or if they're posting pics of your kids, or if you're being harassed or stalked or blackmailed by people viewing your results, call the local police in Pasadena, where Spokeo Inc. is based: http://ww2.cityofpasadena.net/police/contactUs.asp (You might note that the chief of police's home phone number and address are available on Spokeo. As are his wife's or daughter's. And the mayor's.)

You should also report any internet harassment to the local office of the FBI: http://www.fbi.gov/contact/fo/fo.htm

Even if you're not being harassed, stalked, blackmailed, or bullied (yet), you can still file a complaint with the California Office of Privacy Protection: http://www.privacy.ca.gov/contact_us.htm

And with the FTC: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

And, if you've got photos showing up on the site, e-mail [protected]@dyndns.com to complain about the copyright infringement. (dyndns.com is the ISP, so they should want to investigate claims that somebody using their network is infringing your copyrights.)

Also contact Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=privacy_settings_feedback to let them know that Spokeo has been harvesting personal data from Facebook, in blatant violation of Facebook's policies.

You can also click the little "Block / Report Person" link on the CEO's own personal facebook page, and ask facebook to ban him from the site for selling your info on the internet for profit. That's over here: http://www.facebook.com/man4prez

You can do the same thing on Friendster, at http://profiles.friendster.com/thedoodinthedood, by scrolling all the way down to the bottom of the page and clicking the "Report" link (which has an option to report people for using your photos or harassing you).

And you can click the "Report Abuse" link at the bottom of his myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/139118283

christine goss Sep 26, 2010

i was charged 14.85 fromspokeo on8-16-2010. i did not receive a report or any info on my friend

• Li
            Libbe DC Nov 22, 2010

Call your Congressional and Senate Offices, and ask to speak with the legislative assistant who handles internet privacy. Explain the issues, and direct them to the website to look for their own information. The FTC needs to be asked to investigate them for their failure to comply with federal privacy opt-out programs. Their email option is a scam. The email never arrives. Federal policymakers can test the duality easily by using their own government addresses (which Spokeo claims to remove on a 'priority" basis) and personal emails. Should be one heck of a hearing in DC. Would love someone like Ron Wyden to get his teeth into this. If anyone starts a class action suit against Spokeo, please post here. Would be happy to join it too!

• Re
            Resonja Jan 29, 2011

RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF
            RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF

Spokeo.com — billing nightmare

Do not give your credit card number to Spokeo. They will bill it, bill it again, and keep billing it till you...

Spokeo Online Service — deceptive advertising and ripoff

A newish service out there that takes your email address and shoots it to anyone who is in your contact list...