Complaints & Reviews

Spokeo — refund, cancel membership today 30 days later by credit card

My name is patricia younger, visa card number 9959 account number [protected], puchase date for all acount...

Spokeo — billing

I signed up for this service because I wanted to locate my ex-husband who is $70, 000 behind on child support...

Spokeo — scam

Spokeo gives some more information than Instant Checkmate BUT still expect more money for more info. When I...

Spokeouseless.

Do not conduct business with this company. My credit card was processed immediately for a very, very basic report. When i read that i was "good to go", i returned to the search page and the information was the same. Nothing was "upgraded'. When i emailed a rep her reply was that there was a technical difficulty with the transaction processing, but everything was fixed.

Bull.
I watched a hearing from washington tonight, that took place on wednesday, december 18, 2013 and found out that spokeo was one of many companies that has to pay a huge fine.

I intend to follow up with my complaint in another fashion.

Spokeo — bogus

I paid to see some very simple info about someone using my address. After I paid a little more I was supposed...

Spokeocharging after cancellation

cancelled subscription and have been charged 2 months straight afterwards. be sure to watch your credit card statements after cancellation odds are they are still charging you.

• Spokeo's response · Jun 18, 2013

Dear Spokeo User,

I'm sorry to hear that you were not aware of our subscription terms and certainly wish to help you resolve the issue. The additional charges you see, may be renewal charges or an add on that was authorized. Spokeo is a People Search Engine, providing premium access to members who wish to perform name, phone, email or username look-ups. Since our Premium services are only available through subscription-based plans, accounts will automatically renew if left active. This is to prevent any service interruption. We do try to make this very clear on our payment page by including it in the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. In addition, the information is included in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after payment, as well as in our Terms of Use. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way.I was successful in locating your account with us.

Please contact our support team at [protected]@spokeo.com with mention of this complaint, and our representatives will be happy to resolve any issues you may have.

• Ry
        ryder72 Jun 18, 2013

i have already contacted them 2 times and was sent generic emails with auto response. i guess this is the best way to deal with complaints is to ignore them. if you would actually put what your signing up for from the start i would have never bothered signing up. apperently you like to hide stuff in the fine print sneaking it past the consumer. when i sign up for a service i want only the service i am signing up for and nothing else. with that said when i cancel evrything signed up for should be cancelled not just what you decide. iwas unware of the identity theft that i was signed up for by using your services. i would have never known how to cancel that service and was never supplied the unformation to do so or it would have been done. so when i cancelled your service i thought all should have been cancelled.

• Te
        Terry Sumpter Jan 24, 2014

I also cancelled following the 95 cent trial, however today when doing taxes I discovered that I had still been charged 19.95 AFTER cancellation and more over my details had been forwarded to another company 'IdentityForce' who had been charging 14.95 a month for ID protection that I had not requested. ... BUT in fairness to them when I called Spokeo were extremely receptive and returned the over-payment and additionally caused the IdentityForce payments to be returned .

Spokeo.comthis website is a complete rip off

I tried three different searches off both email and phone numbers and got little and no information. I then tried myone email /phone number and only got one piece of wrong information.

This website is a complete ripoff……spokeo.com…

A three month subscription was non refundable and of absolutely no use to anyone for fifteen dollars.

• Spokeo's response · Nov 29, 2012

Dear Gobbels,

I'm sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. Spokeo showcases the power of information aggregation, as the data is gathered from a multitude of different sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. We also organize the information so that it makes sense for you, as a user. However, machine aggregation has its limits. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. In attempt to help resolve any issues, I have sent you a private message. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

• Spokeo's response · Sep 24, 2014

Dear User,

I do apologize for the inconvenience caused with this issue and we will be more than happy to assist you. Please contact us directly at [protected]@spokeo.com so we may assist you in this matter.

• Co
          Connie77 Aug 15, 2014

SPOKEO is a scam! I performed 2 searches on known names and email addresses and yet i did not recieve any results. I have contacted customer support THREE times!! I have not even so much as had one response. They state on this website that they have a "no refund policy" which is b.s. because on the FAQ page this is posted:

"Can I get a refund if I’m unsatisfied with Spokeo?
          We value the opportunity to resolve any form of dissatisfaction and encourage you to contact Customer Care to request a refund. "

Sooooo where's my refund???????????????

Spokeo.com — the longer I am with them, the more I realize how out of date their database is

When I started with Spokeo, it seemed that they had a lot to information to offer. But the longer I am with...

Spokeo.com — they will not give you a refund when you discover their site is a scam

Terrible...a people search website that promises to retrieve info from hundreds of databases, including...

Spokeo.com — spokeo is fraudulent and a scam

Spokeo is fraudulent and a scam. I searched a phone number that had been calling me, and Spokeo said the full...

Spokeo.comtaking $14.98 from a customer every month is stealing

I canceled my subscription after 5 minutes when I realized that on my paypal account it said it would be charging me 14.98 EVERYMONTH. It is a 3-month subscription! I should be getting charged every THREE MONTHS, taking $14.98 from a customer every monh is STEALING. The site says is is appox. $5 a month, then why are you charging$24.98 PER MONTH? Not to mention the fact that I was lead to believe I would be getting a free trial. I sent a message to customer support a litter while ago and I would really like a full refund.

• Spokeo's response · Aug 17, 2012

Dear Rubieke,

I'm sorry if you were under the wrong impression and hope to assist you in whatever way possible. Because you had selected our 3-month plan, a total of $14.85 has been deducted. Because this provides you access for the full term, the average cost is $4.95 per month, which is the amount you may have been confused with. To make this even more prominent for our payers, we include this information as part of the disclaimer which has to be agreed to before the purchase is processed. I do apologize again if this was unclear in any way.

So that I can resolve this issue for you right away, I have gone ahead and sent you a private message. Please check your inbox as soon you can.

Spokeo

Spokeo.combiggest waste of money ever

DO NOT JOIN SPOKEO BY ANY MEANS. Biggest waste of money ever!

Before joining, there is no mention that the extent of their searches are limited to North America! I, being in Australia, had absolutely no use for this service, yet they do not warn you before you sign up that it is very much limited.

Any information searched was either heinously incorrect, or could have been done my self via GOOGLE which is FREE.

Not only that, once I had realized Spokeo was unable to perform any of the tasks it claimed it could do, I contacted them to try and get a refund for my money as I had spent less than half an hour on the site, but to this day have not heard back from them nor do I expect to. But anyway, if my money spent means that other people do not mistakenly waste their money then I guess its somewhat worth it.

Once again, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. Anyone with half a brain could find the information they claim to have within minutes of doing a google search. WHAT A SCAM.

• Spokeo's response · Jun 25, 2012

Dear Narhibe,

I apologize for any inconvenience, Spokeo currently only supports national numbers and addresses from the United States for our phone and name search. For reverse email lookups however, we support all email addresses, including international ones. This search feature covers all of our supported social networks.

I'm also sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. Spokeo showcases the power of information aggregation, as the data is gathered from a multitude of different sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. We also organize the information so that it makes sense for you, as a user. However, machine aggregation has its limits. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

Spokeo

Spokeo.comevery phone number I typed in came back to the wrong person

Every phone number I typed in came back to the wrong person (reverse phone number inquiry). I typed in my own phone number and again, it identified someone else. For fun, I looked up information on my friends. The inaccuracies were a joke.

• Spokeo's response · Jun 04, 2012

Dear Spokeo User,

I'm sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. Our phone listings typically can provide more information. However, certain numbers are simply not found in our phone directory and may not yield full or accurate results.

Our Terms of Use states clearly that we are a People Search Engine, and do not create, maintain or modify any of the information you see. Instead, this information is gathered from a multitude of sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every name, phone number or email address you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

Spokeo

Spokeo.commy opinion of them couldn't be worse

They came to me, not I to them and the offer was a LIFETIME PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP in exchange for over two thousand of my contacts They have since, without notice, changed me to "Free Membership" breaking their promise to me and rendering my usage to next to useless. It was an offer to let them have access to all of my contacts, and I have over two thousand contacts, in exchange for a lifetime premium membership. Now they simply don't honor it. It's a big bait and switch game to them. They even told me that since I have a free membership that they are limiting my usage when I am supposed to have a lifetime premium. I am emailing all the contacts I gave them and telling them to complain, too. Since they have rendered my usage useless, I will render the contacts I gave them useless.

This isn't the first time they've done it to me, either. It seems with every spurt of growth they make, with every change or improvement they make, they seek out ways to make sure that I don't actually get to use any of the premium services they have promised me.

The reason I am complaining, finally, is because they are so indignant about ripping me off. It's despicable. I have NOTHING good to say about Spokeo. Ever since I came through for them they have tried to rip me off and take advantage of me with new policies which are aimed at making sure that don't have to honor their offer to me.

My opinion of them couldn't be worse. Really. They are the WORST.

• Spokeo's response · Mar 29, 2012

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your message.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and can most certainly clarify matters for you.

When you accepted the lifetime membership, being that it is for a lifetime and free, there is a search quota limit. This limit is subjected to change, and recently, there have been a few changes. Any changes to quota limits are made only to ensure that we continue to add more data and to allow our site to run smoothly and quickly.

In regards to how many searches you can perform, here is a breakdown:

- Unlimited Name searches
                  - up to 20 Reverse Email searches per month
                  - 2 Address book imports per-month

Your quota system is a rolling window of 1 month, and any number of searches that were performed 1 month ago, would not count against your quota, thus freeing it up. For example, if you had performed 5 reverse email searches on 1/1/11, and hit your exceeded quota (by performing the rest of the 15 searches allowed) on 1/2/11, you would be able to do 5 reverse email searches on 2/1/11. Also, please note that all searches count towards your quota, even those that provide little or no results. Having said that, I encourage you to contacts us via our contact page so that we can further assist you with this matter. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Spokeo.comthey did respond promptly to my request to cancel

II was trying to collect e-mail data for a small business start-up. I had much of the information, but I just needed e-mail addresses. Spokeo's free service has a highlighted link for occupation and I felt that if I had the business name I could do my own search for the company's standard e-mail format. When I searched the free service, the link was "clickable" and took me to their upgrade page. I figured I was worth the $14.85 to find the information they appeared to have.

I searched about 20 different names from my list and there was nothing listed under occupation for any of the people. This took 15 - 30 minutes (give or take). I felt it was misleading that they give you a clickable link on the free end tat takes you to the purchase the upgrade page, but once you do, there is no information for twenty individual searches.

I e-mailed immediately to cancele my subscription and assumed that the 100% guarantee meant that I would get 100% of my money back. They did respond promptly to my request to cancel, but only offered a refund for $10.00. I asked to explain why there was a 33% cancelation and their response was essentially that they don't guarantee accurate or complete information. I can respect that, but I received NO information and therefore was not 100% satisfied.

I accepted the $10.00 refund because it wasn't worth any more of my time to argue the point. But I did let them know that I would voice my displeasure on every review site that had their company listed.

• Spokeo's response · Feb 17, 2012

Dear Spokeo User,

I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience, and certainly wish to clarify this matter. The information displayed in the boxes on the preview page is to showcase the potential information we can provide on the specific individual being searched. Had the information regarding the individual's occupation been publicly available and linked, it would have displayed their profession.

Also, the 100% Guarantee we offer ensures that you, as the customer will receive additional results for only the first search that is performed.

On that note, please understand that our guarantee does not promise that accurate results will be provided for subsequent searches. Spokeo showcases the power of information aggregation, as the data is gathered from a multitude of different sources, such as social networks, public records, phone listings, marketing surveys and more. However, machine aggregation has its limits. Since there is no human involved, the data is not verified and might not be accurate. Moreover, many sources do not refresh their data often. For this reason, we cannot guarantee full or accurate information for every single name, phone number, email address or username you search for, as the results vary so much from person to person. We are only as good as our sources, and our engineers are working hard on new algorithms to improve our data accuracy. I do apologize again for the inconvenience.

Please feel free to contact us via our contact page, as we wish to resolve this issue for you. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Spokeo

Spokeo.comavoid this website at all costs

I am new to the people search world. I needed to find the address and owners name on a Verizon cell phone number I was given to contact a friend who recently moved to Florida and changed to a Florida number with Verizon. A mutual friend had come out of remission from cancer and asked me if I knew how 2 get in touch with him. I was given a two numbers by another friend but couldnt tell for if they were hers though Verizon did verify the numbers were linked to the same account number. I tried Spokeo and they clearly indicated they had this information and more (with 8 out 10 icons being diplayed in color) and they had the account name holder and the address as well as the carrier. After I paid all the icons were displayed in black and white and they did not have any of the information they indicated they had. I understood wwhen I signed up they might not have data on every icon but they indicated they had the data on the colored icons. I immediately requested a refund but the refused and charged me for three months but did tell me this for three days. When I complained the indicated they had reverse cell phone data they said it wasnt their fault that it was unavailable. They did not respond to my appeal. I feel bad because I feel like both of these people would benefit from the support during this difficult time. Are there any reverse cell number sites that give you what you pay for? If anyone has any suggestions it would at least help me feel less guilty.

Spokeo.comrippoff

I feel that these website ripped me off, they just took my money.
                    every person that I searched for was giving false Information.
                    I even tried it with my own Information and gave wrong information about myself.
                    The person I was really searching for I couldn't find.
                    I'm not happy at all with this matter, if I can tell all my friends and
                    family about it I will, I just want my money back I don't want the service.
                    I.D.# 1710648
                    email [protected]@hotmail.com

Spokeo.comunethical

Unfortunately gave credit card info for "one-time" access charge of $2 and some odd cents - although all over website says "free 30 day trial" - cancel at anytime. Check card balance to find $35.40 charged immediately!!! "fine print" and rep from company claims website is used by a vendor also and it's the vendor advertising 30 day free trial TOTAL MISREPRESENTATION - UNETHICAL SALES PRACTICES - may have been a note-worthy site if not all the deception.

Spokeo.comprivacy options is a scam

Despite Spokeo's claim to respect your request to remove private information from their site. The "email" you are to check for in your inbox NEVER arrives. They claim to "give priority" to government addresses and even ask if you are a law enforcement or government official seeking privacy. Should be interesting to learn if they are building THAT database of addresses as well, of if they are smart enough to respond when a lawmaker requests privacy. Meanwhile, Joe sixpack and soccer moms, you are screwed!

Spokeo.comviolation of privacy

This company takes it upon itself to publish very private information without knowledge or permission of the individual. To publish address and age should be illegal. It is not only dangerous but also violates a basic human right to privacy and decency. Please help protect people against companies such as Spokeo.com

• To
                              tonkass Oct 30, 2010

spokeo.com i am surprised should have a lot more consumer issues or complaints by unhappy users. I am of course unhappy member of spokeo.com website and want my money refunded. I made request for a refund on my spokeo.com account very soon after joining. Another person posted the email address [protected]@spokeo.com as this company is VERY VERY DECEPTIVE in that its hard to get information on REFUND PROCEDURE. My complaint lodge against this company is that they use DECEPTIVE CONDUCT into thinking their service is as good as it sounds. The service is no better than http://www.pipl.com for instance which is free. I felt really ripped off. The telephone search is in America, i have to grant access using my user name and password for a friends search (for that part) which i am uncomfortable about giving. The biggest issue is i paid for a 3 month membership and there IS A LIMITATION on the number of searches that can be performed on the premium spokeo.com account. THIS IS A SCAM. They do not ANYWHERE DISCLOSE anything about having a limitation on the number of searches you can do and 20 email address searches in a 3 month period is a JOKE. This service is downright deceptive especially my last point. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY if they will have deceptive practices like that.

• Li
                              Libbe DC Nov 22, 2010

I agree completely. And the "privacy" link, in which you put the objectionable information URL, they feign to have received your concern and direct you to your email inbox for the "next step" is a fraud. The email never arrives. Tried it for 3 months. This is great example of a role of government oversight. If the FCC, FTC or Capitol Hill would investigate these turkeys and compel them to protect privacy when requested, that would be a start.