Menu
Spokeo company logo
reviews & complaints

reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

101 complaints
83 resolved 18 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claimed
This account has been claimed by Spokeo customer service / representatives through our verification process.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Spokeo. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
L
4:43 am EDT
Spokeo has left an official reply on this complaint.

Spokeo - It is about misrepresenting Ms advertising lying down right rod and every single company on the internet does it

Okay well it's like I thought don't have enough room to explain my complaint so that's another way of you and all the other companies to avoid your responsibilities and to avoid answering for your deceptions I was asking the Google engine to send me to some place I could find out how many email addresses I had they sent me to you first thing out of the gate you said it completely free so I push on it right off the bat 95 cents lie it's not about how much it is I could care if it was a penny 95 cents or $100 you lied it is not free it is 95 cents that is a fact you lied that is misrepresenting that is misadvertising that is fraud you say one thing to get another every single company on the internet does that I am compiling a whole list of companies just like this with all the information and screenshot and everything and I'm going to send it to the federal government justice department and to the Attorney General of the United States because somebody's got to do something about all this fraudulent activity they're getting away with and claiming to be a legitimate company can't be a legitimate company if you're lying to your customers am I right facts are facts I got the words in black and white

Desired outcome: And this part is a joke. You don't give enough room to explain so I'm not going to bother that's how you get away with avoiding your responsibility and broadening the American people

Update by Liar Liar you
Jul 23, 2022 4:56 am EDT

Well I don't need to put down a whole lot of more words I think I explained pretty well my complaint I don't have a need to be deceiving or misrepresenting or misleading or fraudulent or lie so I know that nothing's going to be done about what I said Not until there's enough of us private citizens to make the government listen and to cite the company that they handed it over to protect us from exactly what every single company on the Internet is doing to the American people. That's all I have to say

M
6:32 am EDT

Spokeo - Spokeo

On July 9,2022 I too looked at the Spokeo site to see what it was about. I too agreed to validate I was 18 by putting my visa info on their site because it said for $0.95 one time charge I could look up an old friends possible address and agreed to that. I agreed to a $0.95 one time charge on that day. Well today my account was hit with a $24.95 subscription payment I did not authorize and I’m really upset. I would like my money returned and looked on their site and they offer no way to delete my visa info or personal information. This is stealing and a scam. I want answers.

Desired outcome: I want my money returned immediately!

D
8:36 pm EDT

Spokeo - People search

Last February I used Spokeo for a one time lookup, paid like 95 cents for the service. A month later I notice on my Visa statement a charge of $24.95. Consulted them by online chat and was told that I had, unbeknown to me, enrolled in a monthly subscription @ $24.95 per. Naturally I balked at that nonsense and was assured I'd be unsubscribed. The following month the $24.95 charge appeared on my Visa once again. I then emailed asking why? Their response was they had no record of the chat and implied I was lying. The email back and forth resulted in the cancellation of the subscription and two refunds, one of $9.98 & one of $19.96 applied to my Visa on June 30 2022. How these amounts were determined are, to me, a mystery. For 5 months while attempting to cancel this fiasco, I was being charged $24.95 every month. I contend Spokeo should credit my Visa $124.75 minus $29.94 previously credited resulting in total of $94.81. Thanks

Desired outcome: Please Refund $94.81

A
4:51 pm EDT
Spokeo has left an official reply on this complaint.

Spokeo - Keeps charging me yet I didn't sign up...

I have been charged several times by this company. Let me tell you- it's getting OLD. I tried to cancel it through my PayPal which I thought I thought I did when I already saw a old prior charge & filed a dispute. I have had to deal with them once before already, they were rude & told me I was basically s.o.l since I "didn't catch the charge within xx amount of time/days" which I thought was such b.s. bcus nobody plans on needing to comb through any & every days debit transactions in case of this sort of thing. I had to take my payment card information off my tablet to stop this from happening. My last 4 of my card is 8337. I want a refund for all the charges made on my card.

Desired outcome: Refund my debit card of all charges made to it.

Update by Ashlee Terrell
Jun 28, 2022 4:11 pm EDT

No. You guys refunded me $0.98. NOT the 2 payments of $24.99 I was charged... you guys need to refund me $50.00 not $1.

1 comment
L
Jul 23, 2022 4:51 am EDT

Yeah see both of those explanations were just a bunch of words that didn't even need to be put into text all you needed to hear was they were going to refund your money there wasn't a word mentioned about refunding your money it was a bunch of bull and an explanation and it doesn't even come close to cutting it I wish people like us would become a giant group that can actually get the government to do something about all of this fraudulent and completely rude irresponsible unethical business practices it's ridiculous there are laws that are being broken by the record amount every day by every single company on the internet misleading misrepresentation fraud lying it's illegal why are they getting away with it we need to band together and make the government put a stop to it they should have never handed over the Internet to the private company that they did to oversee the internet because they are doing a lousy job I feel for you you ain't never going to get your money back you get a whole bunch of b******* excuses but you ain't never going to see your money and that's stealing and the government's allowing it

A
1:51 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Absolutely under no circumstance give spoeko your credit card info. They were running a promotion months ago for one report for 99 cents but like most of these "services" require payment of 99cents (understandably) with your credit/debit card... (Bad idea). I went ahead and approved the 9cents transaction and at first was very happy with the report I got...

N
11:12 am EDT

Spokeo - Biling not wanted

Seems like spookeo likes to spook people with hidden charges. Steer clear of this company as they like to pad their account with info that is totally free. Seems.like.their buisness model is fleecing hard working people out of their money. You'll only get high blood pressure an info you can get for free with just a GOOGLE SEARCH. STAY AWAY FROM THEM

5:26 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was charged $24.95 for the subscription that I never subscribed to. I only used Spokeo one time to track one email. Then I was charged for subscription, although I didn't sign up for that.

O
4:23 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Same complaint as many others. I payed for a one time $0.95 report, but now Spokeo started billing me $24.95 for a monthly subscription that I never agreed to.

5:24 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I did a one time $0.95 search on Spokeo.com, which I've done before. Somehow I was subscribed to a monthly membership for $24.95 per month. This was not authorized and I'd like a full refund for Jan, Feb, March, and April please.

K
12:06 am EDT

Spokeo - unauthorized bank charges

I used spokeo for a one-time lookup for $.95 back on July 18, 2022. Since then spokeo has been charging my paypal account every month since then totalling $249.50 The following dates and amounts are:

July 26, 2021: -$24.95

January 26, 2022: -$24.95

February 26, 2022: -$24.95

March 26, 2022: -$24.95

April 26, 2022: -$24.95

I never agreed to any subscription and I have not used the service one time since then. Requesting that spokeo refund the charges to my paypal account.

Desired outcome: Please refund to my bank account via Paypal account: [protected]@gmail.com

M
12:51 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Yesterday I signed up for a 7 day trial for your service now today I can't get on Spokeo at all

8:14 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This people of SPOKEO offered a $.95 c search one time, i took it and they stole 25 usd from my paypal account, they are thieves. i want my 25 usd back

5:40 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

It's the same complaint that everyone else has had with Spokeo. I paid 1$ for a one-time search. I never received any information on the person I'd requested. I did cancel. Apparently, they did not. Consequently. I've been paying $24.95 since July 2021.

2:03 pm EST

Spokeo - Charges for Subscription

I am being charged $24.95 per month for a subscription which I never wanted.

I only used Spokeo one time for the basic fee. This is being charged to PayPal, and it is deducted from my bank account. Can you please cancel this, and refund my money? The date on my printout from the internet was Feb. 26, 2022.

I used Spokeo as a Free Trial and I have a printed document from PayPal which gives the Billing Agreement ID as: B-7BW66177TX694170A.

The transaction ID is: OPW86052UW558704E.

Jimmy New

[protected]@centurytel.net

Desired outcome: I would like to get a refund.

5:07 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I paid for a look up of one person maybe a week ago and then this morning I was notified they charged $20.90. Not getting why I would be charged this when I only went on there to look up 1 person on 1 day and declined the offer to pay more money for I don't even know what else.

B
4:31 pm EST

Spokeo - Spokeo Inc. Web search company

I had cancelled the subscription the day I had used it they charged me $.95 and apparently it decided to keep charging me $24.95 even when I cancel the subscription they ran my credit card through a second time for $24.95I was denied use of their services because they did not set up an account or allow me access to their site. The also refused to return the two payments of $24.95. Even refuse to open an account for me and credit me the two payments. Extremely poor business and totally unfair. Very Disappointed Customer!

10:47 am EST

Spokeo - People search website

Spokeo is a people search website that false advertises one search for.95 cents. I completed one search on 2/8/22 and was charged.95 cents as advertised, then on 2/16/22 I was charged $24.95. I called to dispute the charge for $24.95 on 2/23/22 and requested a refund since I only initiated one search. Customer service notified me that after one search your automatically billed for a monthly subscription and they don't offer refunds for cancellation. I never agreed to a monthly subscription. Spokeo is a fraud! They are liars and will steal your money after acquiring your debit card info. Buyer Beware! You have been warned.

Desired outcome: refund

6:57 pm EST
Spokeo has left an official reply on this complaint.

Spokeo - transaction still being took out of my account after I have canceled my subscription

Spokeo is still taking subscription payments out of my account after I have canceled my subscription in the past. I have contacted customer service but they never would help me with the refund of the service . And there service is not what they say it is so don't be fooled in to there scandle of buying there service . They do not do as they say . And the cancelation of there service is a hassel .

Desired outcome: a refund of the last transaction they took out of my bank account after I have already canceled my subscription with them

I
11:07 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased a one single search on Spokeo but have been charged 24 dollars for a membership plan. I need my refund, I never intended to have a membership plan, you guys need to solve it.

3:33 am EST

Spokeo - There was an unauthorized charge

The charge was initiated after a free trial. I've never under or heard of this service. Associated with [protected]@gmail.com.

Transaction ID

Spokeo, Inc
[protected]@spokeo.com
[protected]
Instructions to merchant
You haven't entered any instructions.

Desired outcome: Refund and cancellation of service

Spokeo contacts