Having problems with Spokeo?

Spokeo reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Feb 17, 2009. The latest review data search was posted on Jan 8, 2021. The latest complaint data search was resolved on Jan 08, 2021. Spokeo has an average consumer rating of 5 stars from 68 reviews. Spokeo has resolved 63 complaints.

Spokeo Customer Service Contacts

556 S. Fair Oaks Ave., № 101-179
Pasadena, California

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Spokeo Customer Service. Initial Spokeo complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Spokeo above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Spokeo. Discuss the issues you have had with Spokeo and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Spokeo Complaints & Reviews

Jan 08, 2021

Spokeo — data search

Spokeo advertises a 95 cent search, which I did, only to discover that they signed me up for continuing...

SpokeoCharge for spokeo subscription

On 12/25/2020 I received a notice of a declined charge of $24.95 by Spokeo on my Wells Fargo credit card. The day before I had used a three-day trial account on MyLife to do a search. I paid for that with my credit card and cancelled the same day, after doing the search.

I also did a five-day trial for $4.95 using Intelious.com. I did half a dozen searches and was charged a bit more for each search. They provided more information than MyLife so I don't mind the extra charge. I haven't cancelled that account yet, but will today.

As far as I know these companies are unrelated to Spokeo. Years ago I did subscribe to the BeenVerified search engine for a few months, but that was with a different credit card.

I did a search on Spokeo and see they have a bad reputation for doing stuff like this.

• Spokeo's response · Dec 28, 2020

Dear Steve:

I received your complaint to the ComplaintsBoard.com page for Spokeo, on December 25, 2020 regarding our service and charges made on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter.

It is possible that you have an active subscription service with Spokeo.

Please note, that since all Spokeo subscriptions automatically renew to prevent service interruption, trials that were left unchanged, were charged on the service's renewal date until disabled.

To further assist you with your request, please contact our Customer Care team through our contact page, http://www.spokeo.com/contact where we are available by phone, email, and chat 7 days a week from 5AM to 8PM PST so we can assist you further with this matter.

SpokeoUnauthorized charges

I was charges 24.95 four different times one month it was twice in the same month, I had been out of town and had not done up my bills yet when I finally got a hold of someone at spokeo he said he could cancel the service then. I asked for a full refund since they did not have even my email address and im out 100.00 and never used their service he told me he was sorry but they was a business and could not do that but could do a refund in the the amount of 29.00 I asked can your company investigate this action, I dont mind to wait he replied no, its your phone number so thats the best he can do. I have never used this service and out month this place is ripping people off.

• Spokeo's response · Sep 18, 2020

Dear Martha,

I’m sorry to hear Spokeo did not meet your search needs, and I'd be happy to look into this for you.

We want to make sure you're helped. To better assist you with your request, please contact our Customer Care team through our contact page, http://www.spokeo.com/contact where we are available by phone, email, and chat 7 days a week from 5AM to 8PM PST so we can assist you further with this matter.

SpokeoUnauthorized $24.95 monthly charge

I did one search through Spokeo website and somehow ended up paying a monthly fee of $24.95 for a year. Shady and scam like.

They should be ashamed. I did call and received a $74.85 refund. thanks for stealing $225.

SHADY BUSINESS

• Spokeo's response · Aug 17, 2020

Dear Steve

We are very sorry to hear this.

We want to make sure you're helped. If you need additional assistance, please contact our Customer Care team via email at [email protected], or via phone at [protected]. Our team members are available 7 days a week, from 5am to 8pm (PST).

Spokeobackground searches

Please stop charging me for fraudulent charges that I never made against my debit card. I thought this fraudulent charge was handled until I checked my bank activity today and you are, again, attempting to charge me for services I did not authorize. You need to investigate your agents as it appears that someone is using my debit card criminally as I never authorized any charges against my debit card with you. Please stop immediately whoever is doing this repeatedly is going to get caught. Spokeo is not credible obviously.

Leslie graves

• Spokeo's response · Nov 29, 2019

Hi Leslie!

Thank you for reaching out to us on the Complaints Board web site! We're sorry to hear about these charges. We want to make sure we can help you with this matter. At your convenience, please contact our Customer Care team via email at [email protected], or via phone at [protected]. Our team members are available 7 days a week, from 5am to 8pm (PST), and would be more than happy to assist you with this issue.

- Spokeo Customer Support

Spokeoemail search "results" that must be paid for to "unlock"

I made an email search at Spokeo and was told (after they "searched" billions of records) that they had "results, " and to unlock the "results, " I had to subscribe, and was offered a one month and three month subscription. I paid for a one month $13.95 subscription to "unlock" the results. Well, once I paid, the "results" were unlocked, and they had NO results connected to the search (see images attached of both "results" page and "no results" page. This is a complete scam. A bait and switch. they had NO results, and then switched me to offerings on Name Lookups, Court Records, etc. They then will NOT permit you to cancel your subscription. Even if you click "cancel, " they indicate it is still valid for the one month subscription period. What a fraud.

email search "results" that must be paid for to "unlock"
          email search "results" that must be paid for to "unlock"

• Updated by Spokeoscam · Aug 23, 2019

No update to post. Spokeo has done nothing to resolve this complaint.

• Spokeo's response · Aug 26, 2019

Dear Requeser:

I received your comment to the ComplaintsBoard page for Spokeo on August 23, 2019 regarding Spokeo's services, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter.

I’m sorry to hear Spokeo did not meet your search needs. Spokeo has access to over 1.2 billion records, collected and organized from many different sources. Some of our search results may include information that is not fully updated, but new information is added to our system every day.

Spokeo’s free preview provides details on the kind of information we offer and the supported networks we search. When you see “Results May Include, ” "Report Includes Available Information On, " or "Discover on 120+ Networks, ” this outlines the sorts of data we attempt to search. Spokeo has access to over 1.2 billion records, collected and organized from many different sources.

Spokeo subscriptions can be cancelled at any point during the subscription term.} For instructions on how to cancel, please view the following article in our Help Center: https://help.spokeo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010516568-How-do-I-cancel-my-Spokeo-subscription-.

Please note that cancelling your service only disables your subscription from renewing and does not offer a refund. Since all Spokeo services are prepaid, your service will last the duration of the period purchased.

I apologize for any inconvenience, or hardship this matter may have caused. You are more than welcome to contact our Customer Care team through our contact page, http://www.spokeo.com/contact where we are available by phone, email, and chat 7 days a week from 5AM to 8PM PST. Please feel free to contact us directly should you have any future questions or concerns regarding this matter.

-Spokeo Customer Care

Spokeounauthorized credit card charges for

I made a purchase around $1 on 12/20/2018, and now was charged every month 19.95 for a service I never used. Now you charge me a total of more than 130 dollars! I never authorized you to charge me, without any notification. Yeah, I didn't check my statement that often but it is absurd for such a people-info-service company to STEAL people's money in such way.

• Spokeo's response · Aug 12, 2019

Dear Requeser:

I received your comment to the ComplaintsBoard page for Spokeo on August 8, 2019 regarding the charges made on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter.

Jul 23, 2019

Spokeo — without authorisation stole money out of my debit card

I took a trial of 7 days from spokeo for which i paid $.95 with my debit card. And today i got to see that...

Spokeophone record search

I searched a phone number on Spokeo that I felt might be suspicious. After charging my credit card $1.95, they gave me absolutely no information. No name, no address, nothing. I sent them an email to complain and demand that my money be refunded, but have not heard back and the charge is still on my card. How is Spokeo getting away with charging people when they're not even providing a service? Complete scam

• Spokeo's response · Jul 15, 2019

Hi!

We're sorry to hear that we did not provide you with the most up to date or accurate information. Since we don't originate or create data, our data reflects that of its original source(s). Due to this, we cannot guarantee data accuracy, our data should only be used as a reference. However, we are constantly working to expand and improve the data available on our site. If you need additional assistance, please contact our Customer Care team via email at [email protected], or via phone at [protected]. Our team members are available 7 days a week, from 5am to 8pm (PST).

- Spokeo Customer Care

Spokeospk*spokeo search not authorized to charge my account. cancel immediately

Hello
                I'm reporting fraud charge on my Sun County CC ending numbers 2650. Reference with my name and I'm sure you can verify my account. Also feel free to contact me on my mobile phone to discuss further if needed.

It appears that for the past ~ 16 months this company SPK*SPOKEO SEARCH has been charging my account bi-monthly with different reference numbers for each charge that I never authorized.
                Here are the last two charges;
                5/25 SPK*SPOKEO SEARCH - [protected], CA Reference Number:24906419145073648061356 Merchant Name: SPK*SPOKEO SEARCH charged $19.95
                5/17 SPK*SPOKEO SEARCH - [protected], CA Reference Number: 24906419137073222573891 Merchant Name: SPK*SPOKEO SEARCH charged $9.85

Please cancel this service immediately.
                Thank you!
                Duff Dorschner
                [protected]
                [protected]@apexod.com

• Spokeo's response · Jun 10, 2019

Dear Duff Dorschner:

I received your comment to the ComplaintsBoard.com website on June 2, 2019 regarding refund requests on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter. Upon reviewing your account, I see that this matter may have already been resolved via email just recently.

May 09, 2019

Spokeo — people search

On may8/2019 I have Spoken a trial search to try to find a longtime friend. The cost of trial was to be .95c...

Spokeothe search program

The website charged me 6 dollars or so to search one thing and i just found out that I was charged 24.95 and I didnt know that I was going to be charged for that and it didn't even help me! I'm not happy with this charge. :( I am unhappy because I am a broke college student and need all the money I can get. I was not expecting to have multiple charges and I cancelled my account but I would like to be refunded my 24.95

RESOLVED

Nothing has been done to help me with my issue

• Spokeo's response · May 06, 2019

Dear Olivia D.:

I received your comment to the ComplaintsBoard.com website on May 5, 2019 regarding refund requests on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter. For questions regarding a charge, please contact our Customer Care team via email at [email protected], or via phone at [protected]. Our agents are available 7 days a week, from 5am to 8pm (PST), and would be more than happy to assist you!

Spokeocancelled subscription

I cancelled my subscription that i never new i authorized it for just .95 for a day. When i saw that spokeo charged me $24.95 i immediatly stopped the subscription while taking to customer care. But i was told i would be refunded $10.00 I want the full refund because i did cancel it before the transaction was completed. I only agreed to the .95 for a day. And being just choosing the .95 for a day i had to sign up and i saw two boxes to check and it was .95 day and free trial with subscription for 24.95 and yoy dont even get full access with that. Thats why its a rip off and its not detailed well enough. But i will be disputing the charge once the transaction is final. Which since i did cancel before the completed transaction im entitled to the refund once its completed.

• Spokeo's response · Apr 08, 2019

Dear Valued Customer,

I have received your comment on the ComplaintsBoard.com website on April 7, 2019, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter.

Please allow me to explain the charges associated with subscriptions selected to your account. Since all Spokeo subscriptions automatically renew to prevent service interruption, trials that were left unchanged, were charged on the service's renewal date. I apologize for any inconvenience, or hardship this matter may have caused.

To better assist with your request, please contact our Customer Care team through our contact page, http://www.spokeo.com/contact where we are available by phone, email, and chat 7 days a week from 5AM to 8PM PST.

- Spokeo Customer Care

Spokeoscamming and unauthorized charges to my card

Used the service one time and knew I was being charged $.95. Did not realize that getting on a site one day for $.95 would charge me for a $25 subscription that I did not even use after that first initial time. Absolute ripoff and the service was not even worth my time. Spokeo continued to bill my account the $25 two more times when I did not even use it. I will be calling their customer service to demand a refund or will be taking this scam and fraud to FCC or Law Enforcement.

• Spokeo's response · Mar 22, 2019

Dear Brooke Carlson:

I received your complaint to the ComplaintsBoard.com website on March 22, 2019 regarding refund requests on your account, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter.

Please allow me to explain the charges associated with subscriptions selected to your account. Since all Spokeo subscriptions automatically renew to prevent service interruption, trials that were left unchanged, were charged on the service's renewal date to prevent service interuption until disabled. To further assist you with your request, please contact our Customer Care team through our contact page, http://www.spokeo.com/contact where we are available by phone, email, and chat 7 days a week from 5AM to 8PM PST. Please contact us directly so we can assist you with this matter.

- Spokeo Customer Care

Spokeounauthorized cc charges for ages

I have been paying 19.90$ for months and months, and yet I had cancelled the research, just about straight away after using the service for one dollar US.

I have just bumped into the fee, because I decided to look into my expenses
                        C Card number ending 460 from France, and under the name of RIGOLET.

I demand all refunds right up to the day I came across your company.

Regards
                        Ms Rigolet
                        +[protected]

• Spokeo's response · Mar 04, 2019

Dear Ms. Rigolet,

I have received your message on ComplaintsBoard.com on March 4, 2019, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter.

To assist you further with your request, please contact our Customer Care team through our contact page, http://www.spokeo.com/contact where we are available by phone, email, and chat 7 days a week from 5AM to 8PM PST.

Spokeounauthorized credit card charges

Hello,

I am writing to complain about being charged for $24.95 after a 7 day trial of the name search option. I literally haven't been able to log in and use this service. Every single time I try it said there was a connection time-out and to reload my request. I literally have not been able to complete one search. Since the issue continued (I have attempted to use the service on different connections and devices) I thought maybe it was due to billing and I wouldn't need to worry about the issue. However I would like the money refunded and I want all of my personal information removed from your entire platform. I received no e-mails stating anything, not the registration, not the charges and couldn't receive the e-mail when attempting to reset a password. It's as though I was literally blocked from a internal source... Internal as in your website not the internet in whole or my devices and connections.

My name is Mrs. M Rooker; e-mail: ro***e*rm**dd**@gmail.com, visa card ending in 5552 exp: 11/23

I want the refund and my entire profile and information deleted ASAP!

Please and Thank you!

• Spokeo's response · Mar 04, 2019

Dear Mrs. M Rooker,

I have received your message on ComplaintsBoard.com on March 3, 2019, and I am happy to assist in resolving this matter.

Feb 05, 2019

Spokeo — unauthorized charges

I do not recall ever visiting the Spokeo cite, however, I found on a bank statement that I was charged $20...

Jan 03, 2019

Spokeo — unauthorized charges on my card

I agreed on charging something like a dollar this one time on December and now I check my account and find...

Spokeo — unauthorized credit card charges

On November 11, 2018 I called and canceled a"Service" for Flogames (whatever that might be). The cancellation...

Spokeo — spokeo

I realized that I was being charged 19.95 monthly for a service I never used. At first they couldn't even...