Sonic Cameras / Scam and thieve!

1 3505 Quentin RdNY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 888-450-4111

These people are total scams!! I bought a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens on April 2, 2008 for $1, 199 with my American Express card and they sent an email confirmation of a four digit number but no confirmation of the amount of money I just spent. The next morning I get a call from a man named Michael at Phone # [protected] ext 222 saying they needed to confirm my order from the night before, which I thought was really weird. Michael proceeds to tell me that they no longer accept American Express and if there was another way for me to pay. I told him that I only use my AMX card for charges and I don't use anything else. So he tried to talk me into doing a C.O.D or pull cash off my credit card. I told him, I will not do that and to forget about my order and cancel it. He said he would cancel it.

I still felt a little leery, so when I got home from work I called AMX and told them my situation and asked them to check if there were any charges from this company on my card. They said there were no charges. I still was not satisfied so I did some digging myself and googled Sonic Cameras and found a whole lot of bad trash of other consumers being scammed. All bad reviews. These people are sick! I did cancel my card with AMX and got fraud protection and they are reissuing me a new card. BEWARE THIS FAKE COMPANY IS A FRAUD!!! DON'T FALL FOR THERE CHEAPER PRICES LIKE I DID!!! DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THESE A-HOLES! I also believe they may be doing business by another name called BEST PRICE CAMERA'S the website sites look exactly the same and the prices are exactly the same... WATCH OUT FOR YOUR POCKETS!

Va

Comments

• Ri
      2nd of May, 2008

These guys are running a bait and switch operation out of Brooklyn. I believe they've operated under several other names which were found to be scam companies. They are REALLY GOOD liars. DO NOT believe them and DO NOT buy from them. They are currently under investigation by the Better Business Bureau.

• Ra
      9th of May, 2008

AVOID SONIC CAMERA AT ALL COSTS !!! Also had a bad experience withe these guys. There is no way they will ever sell you a camera at their advertised low price. It is all bait and switch. The only way to even buy a camera is to get accessories or packages where they promise high quality lenses etc, but they are all generic crap that you can buy for a fraction of what they offer them for. Very hard to deal with by phone if trying to return an item. RUDE, RUDE, RUDE. Even after they mislead you they want a 15% restocking fee. Similar impression I get with 86th street photo, Best Price Cameras, Broadway Photo, Lenses and More. Wish I would have just gone to a retailer and paid more rather than to have the experience I had with Sonic Camera.

• Ed
      12th of May, 2008

Amazing - same M.O. I get an email to confirm order, they waffle and tell me it will be shipped from China and could not be here for 4-6 weeks. Waste of time.

• Fr
      18th of May, 2008

I had the same experience recently. I had to verbally cancel my order, which Sonic Camera said that they did. I asked for email confirmation that my order was cancelled and have yet to receive written confirmation from them...something that is always done with legitimate internet business companies. Same M.O. with respect to using American Express and with upgrade of lens. I am hoping that New York State for the FBI investigate their legitimacy to execute business within or off of the internet.
    I too am shopping at a legitmate retailer...priceless lesson learned...

• To
      15th of Jun, 2008

I purchased a canon 40 d online from them with a lens -price 689.00. I got a call from SonicCameras who tried to make me get an extended warrantee and another battery. He said the battery from canon lasts 20 minutes. When I told him I wasn't interested in the additional battery, he had the audacity to tell me the camera from Canon lasts only one time-when it was discharged, that was it.
    He said if I wasn
    t going to get the additional warrantee and battery, then "forget it. I am cancelling the order". I then told him that I want to cancel the order immediately.These people are dishonest.

• Va
      31st of Jul, 2008

The moment you see the prices it's obvious this is A SCAM, and there's lot of additional "red lights" flashing while you go through these people's website (eg. Customer Testimonials, what a joke.) Eventually these clowns will be forced to shut down this shady, dishonest operation. Don't order anything from these CROOKS aka Sonic Camera!

• Ad
      28th of Aug, 2008
    Sonic Cameras - Sneaky practices
    Sonic Cameras
    www.soniccameras.com

I originally ordered a Canon Speedlite 580EX online from Sonic Cameras. I WISH I had read these reviews first, because in true Sonic Camera fashion, I got the same treatment as all of these other customers. I got the email that said to call and confirm your order. When I called he asked if I wanted to buy a battery charger also. I agreed. Then he said what kind of camera do you have? Oh, the metal shoe mount will work much better for that, would you like to switch? I said OK. Then when I got my flash alright and it was switched!!! To a Sigma 530!!!

So, I called customer service to ask why it had been switched. He said you asked for it. I said I NEVER asked for a Sigma flash, I ordered a Canon flash. And his response was "I find it very ODD that you are calling 9 days later!" At that point I said "is this CUSTOMER SERVICE?, could I please speak to your manager, you are being very rude?" He said no. I don't have one. I asked again and he said "I own this place". I said "well then I won't be buying anything else from you". He said "FINE!" I will be reporting this to the BBB.

• Bo
      2nd of Sep, 2008

Surfe glad I checked out the complaint dept. I was just about to order a lense from Sonicamers.com . I don't have the money to go full retail though.

Thanks for the info guys.

• Sl
      15th of Sep, 2008

DON'T BUY FROM SONIC CAMERAS, PERIOD.

I really wish I would have read this before doing business with Sonic Cameras. I fell for their scams and ended up paying out the ### for a camcorder that I didn't even want. I returned the camera, paying 410 dollars for a restocking fee, then they have the audacity to claim that I did not return everything and that I now have to buy a composite cable and remote for a camera I don't have anymore, and they are not going to return my money until I pay. Dirty ###! I know I returned these items because I have witnesses and I have double-checked everywhere I took the camera. Plus, I never even used the remote, so it never left the box! They piss me off with their lies!

• Ro
      28th of Sep, 2008

Sonic camera got me for1000.00 dollars for a 419.00 lens 69.00dollars for a lens hood that is only 19.95 and a filter kit for 400.00 that is only 149.00 and a warranty for the lens.
    it was a scam do not buy a thing from this camera shop or you will get taking

• Ha
      11th of Nov, 2008

Total rip off

/URL removed/

• Za
      13th of Nov, 2008

While trying to confirm an order over the phone an employee who said he was the supervisor deliberately lied to me about the product I was ordering in order to get me to purchase more accessories. In the end my order was canceled by this Supervisor because I wouldn't buy the extra accessories. He was extremely rude and what he was doing was illegal.

• Al
      20th of Nov, 2008

SONIC CAMERS IS AN INTERNET SCAM
    I ordered a $850 Canon lens and they switched my order to a "better" lens for $1190, which turned out to be a Sigma retailing elsewhere for $390. thanks to sites like this I was able to cancel my VISA card before they could bill me. Thanks bloggers! Next time I will google the company before I submit my credit card.

• Ho
      3rd of Dec, 2008

SONIC A HOLES : CLASSIC BAIT AND SWITCH. YOU'LL NEVER GET THE ADVERTISED CAMERA. LIES ABOUT USA AND GREY MARKET WARRANTY. STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THESE GUYS AS POSSIBLE.

• Ct
      16th of Dec, 2008

A friend stopped by with his new 50D camera yesterday. Below is what the package is supposed to include. He didn’t have the 70-200 lens with him but I smell a rat. The 24-70 that he told me was the same Canon lens I had was a Sigma, which retails for a third of the Canon. Look at the list and enjoy the laugh. He may be a good shopper but he got screwed this time. Sonic actually advertizes the 50D for $550.00 (down from 620.00 a week ago).
    This is what they list on their website and in bold is what he got:
    Canon EOS 50D Digital Camera Body 1100.00 (these prices are from Adorama)
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L EF USM Lens Canon lens $1200.00 Sigma 435.00
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L EF IS USM Lens 1500.00 Sigma 715.00
    Canon 580EX II Shoe Mount Speedlite Flash 380.00 Aftermarket less than 100.00
    Canon BG-E2 Vertical Battery Holder Grip 220.00 Aftermarket 85.00 wasn’t on camera
    4GB Compact Flash Card 40.00
    Compact Flash Card Reader 15.00 @ new egg
    Deluxe Digital Camera Carrying Case 50.00
    Deluxe Lens Care & Maintenance Package
    Full Size Tripod 25.00
    Pack Of LCD Screen Protectors 12.00
    Cap Keeper 2.00
    The Package is actual worth with all the Sigma and aftermarket items 2590.00 he paid 3300.00
    They now have it listed at 2499.00 which is all it is worth. No wonder they list a 50D alone for 550.00, you can order it you just can’t get it. They package it up with this other junk and you end up with a retail DEAL. No thanks I’ll stick to B&H and Adorama and stay away from Sonic.¬

4th of Feb, 2009

soniccamera are total scammers! I ordered a cnon XHA1- they told me it did not come with a lense...but they wouldn't let me cancel the order because they said they already shipped the battery... then they told me that they would have to charge me 269.99 no matter what... please complain to google and don't let them advertize on google adwords

• Ji
      10th of Feb, 2009

I hope I did not get ripped off by these guys. I tried to purchase a Nikon lens from them yesterday. This morning I got a email asking me to call to confirm my order. After being put on hold for ten minutes I was told that the lens I ordered was a gray market lens and was not in stock, would I like to buy the US version at a much higher price? I told them no and asked why it was not indicated that the lens was gray market in their ad? They said that people do not care.
    Any way Sonic said that my card had not been charged and my order had been canceled. Hope, hope hope.
    DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY, IT IS A SCAM!!!

• Je
      11th of Feb, 2009

Sunday Feb. 8th I ordered a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens w/1 Year USA Warranty w/FREE Cap Keeper for $309.00
    Sub-Total: $309.00
    Shipping Method (8 to 10 Day Ground): $0.00
    Total: $309.00
    Tuesday the 10th recieved voice mail requesting I call (888) 450-4111 ext 223 (Mark) for a confirmation. When I called right out of the gate he asked what camera I was using the lense for. When I told him it was a Canon 30D, he said it was for a full frame camera, and my camera has a 1.3 factor. Mark told me I needed a Sigma but it was $599.00 on his site. He could sell it to me for $399. I said that wasn't in my budget, then he lowered the price to $349. I said no, then he said if you buy it right now he would give it to me for the same price as the canon lense. I told him to cancel the order. I am really worried about them having my credit card numbers. That isn't a busines, it's a racket.

• Ri
      12th of Feb, 2009

Add me to the list, I had the same experience as Jerrod. I tried for the same lens, but Mark(ext.223)told me it wouldn't work with my Canon Rebel. He tried with the Sigma and I said okay. A quick look on the internet showed it for about $100. less than he quoted. I called back and canceled. He told me that it was already shipped! This was in a matter of 4 minutes! I called my credit card company and have stopped any charges from these crooks.
    How do you get in touch with the BBB, or anybody that can put these theives out of business?
    Rick

• Wa
      13th of Feb, 2009

I agree with everything I have read so far about these people ... I was interested in a Canon lens and I had called CanonUSA to check out what to expect, was this lens compartible with my Canon 40D and the 2x II extender ... How was the len built and what was included in the box ... When I was calling around, I did call Sonic and asked them a few questions ... First they do not like answering questions ... Not only were the person rude, he was bold enough to tell me the CanonUSA tech / parts people did not know what they were talking about regarding that lens and he knew more ... When I asked what was included in the box his answer was just the lens ... Front and rear caps, soft case and shoulder strap were an extra cost factor ... When I mention that the CanonUSA parts people said what was included again the guy told me they do not know what they are talking about ... I called CanonUSA back they said this practice was called "stripping" ... Its a practice of removing every thing of either the camera or lens boxes and selling those items separately to you driving the price upward ... If you shop with them be warned these people have many years of experience screwing people with no regard ... Thanks, Ward