Sleepy's - Kingsdown Mattress / kingsdown give up making mattresses!

Buyer beware. Thinking we spend an average 8 to 10 hrs in bed daily. Spending nearly $3000. 00 on a kingsdown mattress is justifiable. Thinking we would wake up each morning well rested. That is the farthest from the truth. In under 6 months, the mattress softened and sagged. The material is actually shifted, so their is bulges on both sides. (Keep in mind, between the two of us, we weigh just over 300 lbs.) we had sleepy's come to the house to inspect the mattress. The 22 yr old boy, came with a small gadget in hand. Placed it on the center of the mattress, and said, well it hasn't sagged enough yet, to get a replacement mattress. You'll have to wait an additional 6 month, to request another inspection. When asked about the material bulging on both sides he had no answer, just shook his head. When i asked about which mattress gets the most complaint, he again shook his head and told me to spend $1200. 00 the most on a mattress. Its the expensive mattress' that he inspects most often. Kingsdown is an awful mattress. It will definitely disappoint you in under a year. Promise that. I found one other person, who also has a kingsdown mattress, and my jaw dropped when he basically repeated my story to me, he too has back pain and is ready to throw away his year and half old mattress.

Kingsdown give up making mattresses!

Comments

• Mb
      11th of Dec, 2007

I agree with you 100%. I too, have the same experience with Kingsdown and the shlock operation run by Sleepies or should I refer to them as "Shleppies"? I tested the Kingsdown Matress system in a Sleepies showroom in CT several years ago. I thought that it was the most wonderful bed that I had ever felt. Well, 2 weeks later, the bed arrived and what a poorly designed, uncomfortable and miserable product it was. I immediately felt that it sagged and caused me to have horiffic back pain. Sleepies pulled their deceptive return policy. I sat with that crappy product in my house for 3 weeks until their drivers picked it up and replaced it with another Kingdown mattress. The same outcome, needless to say. Shleppies did everything in the world to stick it to me. They kept stalling and not returning phone calls. There "managers" flat out made no quams of defending their organization and supporting their illiterate customer service representatives (who's professionalism is sub par at best). I finally got rid of it and swore to never call them again for anything. I purchased from Dial a Mattress and wasn't thrilled with my purchase either. At least they were helpful and delivered something that lasted for 3 years. I'm convinced that most of the sleep systems that are sold by Sleepy's and others are mediocre at best and were never intended to survive for more that three years. I would splurge and review the numbers bed system or possibly a Tempurpedic mattress. I welcome your thoughts.

• Un
      1st of Jan, 2008

I have work for sleepys for two year so far. I love to sell kingsdown sleeping systems. No matter what, Every manufacture is going to have complaints. I get more complaints from sealy posturepedic being the largest manufacture and number one manufacture, and very very few complaints from Kings down. I'm very sorry that you folks had a bad experience with the mattress or with sleepys. Kingsdown has a return rate of 1% and they don't spend millions of dollars on advertising like other manufactures. I have called a few kingsdown customer of mine recentof 8 months that have purchase from me a few months ago and they love their kingsdown mattress. Kingsdown even offers you a much longer warranty like a life time warranty or a 20 year warranty. that's how much they believe in their product. Search other manufacture such as sealy posturepedic or simmons beautyrest and others and and you will see people complaint and talk bad about their product .

• La
      13th of Jan, 2008

we purchased a kingsdown queen size matress for my son's room 8 years ago. He is now 20. Besides surving him and his friends and many guest for the last 8 year the only problem we have had with the matress is that recently one of the springs edge on the side of the mattres now sticks out. We have the edge against the head board so noone get hurt. This matress according to everyone who sleeps in it claims it to be their best sleep ever. We are looking to get a new set due to the spring but reading the comments now has me thinking twice about it.

17th of Jan, 2008

I wish that I had heard these stories a few months ago. In October my husband and I went in to Sleepys and absolutely loved the Kingsdown mattress. It was expensive but we figured that a good night's sleep was worth it. Within a month the mattress sagged and I felt like I was getting poked by little lumps beneath me. The inspector came out and found that the mattress was sagging 1-1/4". This shocked me but according to Kingsdown this is normal wear. I can barely stand to sleep in that bed and often end up sleeping on the couch, which strangely enough, is more comfortable. When I called Sleepys customer service to see what my options are they said that because it is a "comfort issue" I can buy another mattress at a deep discount. Fat chance.

• Da
      24th of Jan, 2008

My husband and I just bought a cal king Kingsdown mattress 2 weeks ago. At first it seemed fine, a little fiem but, ok. After about a week my husband was waking up in the middle of the night with numbness on the side he was sleeping on. He also had back pain. I have a call into Ethan Allen where we bought it. They said that they will have the manufacturer call us, which should take a couple of weeks. Meantime they said turn the mattress over. Well this mattress cannot be turned over. It does not have a flip option. It is a hard backing. Little do they know about there mattresses. We will see how it goes. I will praying!

22nd of Feb, 2008

Sleepy's is the ghetto giant of mattress sellers. They will not help you over the telephone at the store level and their customer service reps at the 1-800-SLEEPYS line are just as bad, almost. They want you to "come in" so they can SELL, SELL, SELL. Once there, you walk out with what you think are pretty roses, but are really spray painted petunias instead! Buyer beware!

Once they make the sale (ie - take your money), you are on a raft in the middle of the ocean. Good luck paddling! Oh, did I mention you don't even have a paddle?

P.S. - Kingsdown is a great product designed for the average person. If you weigh more than you really should, the problem may not be the mattress. The durability is proportionate to the weight on it. If you weigh twice as much as the average person, the durability is scaled in half. Makes sense now, eh? This is not meant to offend, but to educate narrow minds.

• Mi
      12th of Mar, 2008

I am having the same issue with Sleepys/Kingsdown. I spent $1500 on a King set. Within a few months, the mattress visibly sagged. My back began to hurt. We finally got an inspector out here who must have doctored the report to claim that our bed only sagged an inch. It needs to sag 1- 1/2inches to qualify for an exchange. When I measures the sag it was at least 2 inches. The policy is that I have to wait 60 days before another claim. After reading this forum as well as countless others, I am fukked like everyone else. The inspector will claim to find mold or a rip voiding my warranty should I monitor his measuring this time around. On one of my several phone calls to 1-800-Sleepys, I asked a rep how many mattresses actually have been replaced? She answered "several."!??!? After thousands of failing mattresses they have replaced "several." If someone is thinking about a class action, let me know -- mince1@yahoo.com

• Kw
      12th of Mar, 2008

Kingsdown the worst matress ever. It is that simple.

• Er
      1st of Apr, 2008

I wish I had read these comments six months ago. My fiance and I have had the worst sleep of our entire lives during the past few months. We wake up with terrible back pain and are constantly rolling towards each other. Oh, and "Jojo Mojocowski's"comment about it being because people are overweight is completely false. I clock in at 105 and have terrible pain from this mattress. Any advice on what to do? I'm being told it's a comfort issue which is completely ridiculous. We're currently sleeping on the floor of our livingroom because we can't deal with the back pain!

• Th
      1st of Apr, 2008

I just came from a store where a salesman almost handed me one for lot less price which he said may not be available tomorrow. Seemed very good though. Good thing I said I will do my research and come back. Thanks guy, I already have a terrible back condition and I don't want this to flare up.

3rd of Apr, 2008

I purchased a Kingsdown Orthapedic set in 1999 for $3500. For several years it was very comfortable. After about the fifth year, I noticed that the pillow top began to shift. Since I flip my mattress every 6 months, it was happening on both side. About 2 1/2 years ago, I called Kingsdown to complain because it had also started sagging. They said they would send someone to inspect it. They never did but to be fair, I was so busy taking care of my ailing father, I had not followed up either. About a month ago, the sagging had become unbearable and was causing my husband and I back pain, so I decided to look for a new set. A friend of mine had the same problem with her Serta and she advised me to call Kingsdown again. The inspector was here earlier today and the dip in my mattress was over 3". He told me that I should hear from them in about 7-10 days. I also found out that he inspects mattresses for all of the major manufacturers and told me that Kingsdown is one of the best, and he does the least amount of inspections on them. I am not sure what they will do, but I will let you know their customer service handles it. I must say that it was a great mattress for several years but I still feel that it should have lasted longer.

• Yv
      15th of Apr, 2008

I have read some of these issues with Kingsdown Mattresses and i honestly have to say is that i have not had a problem.

I bought a KA AUS (australia) 04 Body System 1 FBS T which was made in Jan 05 and i bought it in late mid-late 06 and started sleeping on it nearly a year ago. As i had to have it shipped from Australia to NZ during that time. It also has a lifetime warranty. This mattress was made in the USA and shipped for selling over in Australia.

I have had no problems with this mattress and my kids love theirs, it has not sagged, lost its shape or anything, i would buy another one even though i paid nearly $5, 000 Australian dollars for it, it was well worth it to match with my bedroom suite of over $20, 000.00 and due to the fact i can sleep soundly.

I guess every mattress is different but i have had no problem with mine.

22nd of Apr, 2008

My boyfriend and I spent over $3, 000 on a Kingsdown mattress just about a year ago and we love it. I used to have lower back pain and wake up in the middle of the night with numb limbs. Now I have a comfortable restful sleep. It is especially good as a compromise between myself (who needs a firm mattress) and my boyfriend (who prefers a plush mattress). Anyway, I love our mattress. We haven't had any problems with sagging or otherwise. I definitely recommend a Kingsdown! Oh and my boyfriend and I aren't obese but we probably weigh on the heavier side of average so don't be concerned if you have a few extra pounds.

• De
      27th of Apr, 2008

Simmons, Serta, Bob's Discount "close out" - all brands seem to last only a few years IF your lucky. We decided to try to seperate XL Twin Kingsdown (we almost went with the Temperpedic-yikes! what awful reviews on epinions!). Hopefully seperate mattresses will acheive a longer mattress life - normally we buy a queen and we both end up sleeping on the edges...mattress shopping what a racket!

4th of May, 2008

Well, I did not hear back fromthem in the amount of time promised, so I called them last week to find out what was going on. I spoke to someone who was identified as the VP and he stated that I am receiving a new set. So I am glad they are honoring their warranty. My only concern now is whether he is sending me the cheapest one they make or one that is really comparable to the one that I had. I will post when I receive the mattress.

• Ga
      15th of May, 2008

I am now in the same boat with a bad mattress. It was removed from our bed after 8 months because of back problems and we have been back and forth with both Sleepy's and Kingsdown to replace just the mattress. They have measured the bed 3 times and only after the last time did they get back to us. Even though we have a hammock in middle of the bed, the pillow top still fluffs up enough so we can't qualify for a new one. We were told that it had to be 1 and a half inch sag. What good is a warrenty if they wont replace so many bad mattresses? Sleepy's has offered a different brand and allowing $600.00 toward it. But they also said if we don't change the box spring then the warrenty isn't any good. They said that Kingsdown will not allow us to trade up unless we come up with $1100.00. And that is only for the KIngsdown. After spending $2400.00 I don't think that we will be doing that. People need to know about this company and what a bad product they are selling to the public.

• Mi
      29th of May, 2008

my mattress is ok, but its definitely sagging at the edges 3 weeks after delivery. my BIG problem is the complete runaround i'm getting from sleepies on their "Incredible Price Guarantee". when i order my bed, i ordered the mattress and box spring set and it came to 2500. this was way more than i was looking to spend but the salesman did his job well and convinced me that it was worthwhile and with their financing it would be a breeze. while i was getting my paperwork filled out, my salesman got up to help someone else and had another salesman finish the order. OF COURSE this led to me getting a different financing plan than i wanted. i decided to just deal with it as i had other places to get that day. a few days later i found out that since i am buying a platform bed, i do not need a boxspring, so i called to cancel it. again my salesman was unavailable so someone else handled my order change. i asked him, when rebating me the $800 for the boxspring, to take the $470 i applied to my credit card off of it and the rest off of my sleepy's credit account. i didn't want almost $500 riding on my mastercard. he said ok, it's done. the mattress arives a few days later, i sign for it, then after they leave i look at the paperwork and the price of my mattress has gone from $1320 to $1650. i understand there might have been a package price, but as i was told by a salesman at a different sleepy's location, they cannot change that price on me, ESPECIALLY without telling me. the salesman i dealt with said nothing about a price change and told me i was getting credited $800 for the box spring. he also took NONE of the charge off of my mastercard, like he told me he did. i called customer service and they didn't care at all, told me they cannot change any of the money transactions (a former sleepy's customer care agent told me this is untrue and they should have refunded my money right then and there), and when i told them i'd found the SET for $1399, they told me to print out the ad and the rebate dept would call me. it's been over a week, and the 30 days i have for the price guarantee is running out. i tried the online cust service, got the runaround, i call, i get a runaround. i am calling my lawyer to see what i can do in small claims court and i am making sure i NEVER buy from sleepy's again, and making sure everyone i know hears about this situation.

• Al
      19th of Jun, 2008

My mattress cost over $2, 000 and although only 3 years old, it is sagging and causing us both to roll into the middle of the bed. In addition, I am having major back pain. I have a full lifetime warranty which Kingsdown has turned down saying that this is a normal amount of sagging due to body weight. This is a lesson well learned... I will never buy another mattress from them and will be letting Sleepy's know exactly how I feel about my profound disappointment with this manufacturer. I am also going to contact the better business bureau. This is totally unfair and they are not honoring their promises.

• Lu
      21st of Jul, 2008

I have had my matress for about a year and a half now, yes the matress is sagging and I also have such an incredible back ache. I thought that buying this matress would be one of the best thing I've done. Well I guess not. Not sure about sleepy's policies and integrity, but maybe they should come to some sort of agreement with their customers and at the very least maybe offer another matress even if it's from another manufacturing.
    Suggestions on the sleep number bed?

15th of Aug, 2008

Hey everybody. I just wanted to say that I've read most of your comments. I've never heard of Sleepy's. Anyhow I'm actually getting a kingsdown delivered. It's a $700.00 mattress that was originally $1, 100. Well, I'm getting a box spring and mattress. I already have a frame. This is queen size. I'm 21 years old and single at the moment for over a year so I don't have somebody sharing the bed with me. The place I bought mine is called Eaton Young Galleries. Now please LISTEN TO THIS STATEMENT. I noticed a bunch of you are letting the company walk all over you. Well, I know this guy that threatens ANY companies that screw him around. It's a safe threat though. All you have to do, next time you call or something and they give you the "runaround" is say: Alright, that's okay, I'll just give the Bureau of Better Business a call and tell them what's going on. They most likely will panic and help you. You have to be talking to somebody who is an owner or whatever because they are the ones that will panic the most. So what I'd say is, all of you many many people on here who have bought from "Sleepy's". I'd say quit being quiet about it. Get yourselves banded together through email. Come up with a plan to to fry their ###. You can do it. Every person's mind is different. Every person has a different view of something when any word is spoken to them. Share your thoughts with each other and RAIN on them. my email is killermiller_87@hotmail.com - this is how easy it is to give your email to one another. Good luck and I promise you all, if my kingsdown mattress does the same thing, I'm not gonna get screwed around- you can bet your ###. ;)