Silv Communications / Slamming Long Distance

1 FL, United States Review updated:

I received a call in early January 2009 from a woman who said she was with AT&T (my current local and LD provider). She said that they were offering a discount to current customers to keep them because of some new competition. If I wanted the discount on my services I needed to confirm that I wanted it in a recording. I verbally verified with her several times that I would be staying with AT&T and that she was with AT&T.

Fast forward to my next phone bill - which has $180 in charges from SILV COMMUNICATIONS. "Who's that?" I ask myself - and then slap myself on the forehead! Duh. I'm smarter than this... I swear!

I called the customer service number, explain that the person who made the recording lied and told me they were with AT&T and I would remain with AT&T. The service person said that since I am recorded I am up the creek in terms of a refund. I told her to cancel the service and got a confirmation # for that. (I guess they didn't totally lie to me - I still have AT&T long distance AS WELL as the SILV version!)

So I called AT&T customer service, who was very nice and put the charges into dispute for me. I don't have to pay that part of the bill while they are in dispute. We'll have to see how this all works out... she did make note of the fact that they misled me by telling me they were with AT&T. I'll bet that doesn't make AT&T very happy.

Comments

• Pa
      27th of Feb, 2009

Charges from USBI appeared on our ATT phone bill. We were told they were from SILV Communications, we contacted Customer Service 888-478-8724 and spoke with Mike Davis at SILV Communications, they played a recording of a man we did not know, claiming to be our assistant manager and authorizing service . When I said we do not have an assistant manager, not now, not ever, the owner runs the business himself. Mr. Davis said the service was authorized and they will not give a credit, he was rude, sarcastic, called me a liar then he hung up on me. He made it sound like I was the only one who had ever called with this complaint, but obviously I am one of many across the country who have taken the time to report this online. I called back and asked to speak with Supervisor Laura (ext 100) but she also refused to give us a credit. I will call the FCC and file a complaint 888-225-5322

26th of Mar, 2009

I had the very same thing happen to me today. I also fell for it because she keep telling me At&t was merging with her company and all I would see was my long distance charges would be less. I called At&t and they told me the information she gave me was wrong. I then call the contact number for Silv and a person there took me off their service and gave me a confirmation number. I then called At&T and had the slamming protection put on the phone line. I should have never fallen for their line.

• So
      14th of Sep, 2009

Wow! The same thing happened to me, I've already written a complaint letter.I talked to the same guy Mike Davis and Rebecca Smith. Both were completely unprofessional--raising voices, yelling over me--very hostile. Will file complaint with FCC.

• Ad
      28th of Sep, 2010

I am interested in filing a class action lawsuit against this company. I spoke with our local AG and she suggested it. Interested??