Shell Vacations Club / Shell Vacations SCAM/RIP OFF

1 3456 Shell Vacation Scam Dr.Shell SCAM, United States Review updated:

Shell Vacations Club is a RIP OFF.

We need more people to stand up together and get stronger. shell vacation victim please join my communite forum at http://antishellvacation.com

Why would someone pay $400 a night with Shell Vacations Club points when you can stay at the same Hotel for $150 by booking with Expedia or other website. The economy is in real bad shape and we should let current owner NOT TO PURCHASE MORE POINTS AND MAKE SURE OTHER PEOPLE DO NOT GET SCAMMED ON THIS RIP OFF.
Do not get fooled by FAKE positve comments made by Shell Vacations employees. Read what current pissed owners have to say about.

Je

Comments

Fu
  2nd of Feb, 2009

this is correct i hate my timeshare with shell. I called about 30 minutes ago Desert rose for a specific date and they had rooms available then i call shell and according to shell the days are booked. I hate them. what of waste of money.

Ge
  2nd of Feb, 2009

Yes. We've purchased timeshare in 2000 and now our maintenace fees has doubled since then. The yearly points are not worth anything because everything is overpriced. You can not even purchase an airplane ticket or a cruise ship ticket so you end up purchasing extra points. If you decide to purchased more points you are wasting your time and money. If you decide to convert your points over to credit card (American Express or Hertz car rental) your yearly points are done. Even if you bank your yearly points for 2 years that is still not enough to purchased an airline or cruise ship ticket. MAJOR RIPOFF!!!

Sp
  26th of Feb, 2009

We bought in HI on our honeymoon in 2000. $10K for 2, 500 points, and then on a vacation to San Fran the next year, we bought another 1, 250 points for another $5K because 2, 500 doesn't get you much.

My feelings are mixed...with the highs being when we're actually on vacation and the lows being when I have to pay $550+ twice a year for the maintenance.

Good Point #1...their points system is the way to go if you're doing a timeshare, as you can go for less than a week if you want, and save up points for a really big vacation the next year. Plus you can go virtually anywhere in the world, instead of being stuck in the same rat infested hotel room the same week in July in Florida every year.

Good Point #2...you know you're going to be staying in a top notch resort/boutique hotel when you go somewhere. Could you save money with a little more legwork each year, and just book your own trips? Perhaps...but it's nice to know what your options are, that's it's easy to book, and that you'll most likely have a full kitchen, and can save money on food that way.

Good Point #3...it forces you to take a vacation every year. Let's face it...it's not cheap, but you know it will be nice, and you know that in order to benefit from it...you actually have to go somewhere. If we didn't buy those timeshares, we'd probably never vacation, as it seems we never have money for that. But now we're forced to have a good time! And isn't that what life is about...having a good time?

Now for the bad points...

Bad Point #1...the maintenance dues are not cheap. We paid off our loans immediately so as to not pay interest on top of everything else, but for 3, 750 points a year, we're still shelling out about $1, 100 a year in fees alone. And of course, they NEVER go down...only up each year. Some years they go up more than others. We're going on 9 years into our 50 year deal, and I worry what we'll be paying in dues in another 41 years!

Bad Point #2...if you buy at two different Shell properties, you still pay full maintenance dues and they're treated as two entirely different accounts. I'd like Shell to combine them into one account and give me a discount.

That's really all I have to complain about. My suggestions for disgruntled owners...

1) Pay off the mortgage ASAP so you're not paying interest.

2) Use the damn thing. Use it at least for a night or two every calendar year. If you don't use it, you lose it.

3) If you still want out of the deal and you have a balance, besides claiming total bankruptcy to get it absolved, you may be stuck. But if you have paid it off and just don't want to pay the dues anymore because you don't use it enough or feel like you're getting your monies worth...give it away to a charity that accepts timeshares if you can't sell it.

Overall...the jury is still out on our purchase. I do recall that he told us that we won't start seeing 'value' until after 10 years, as by then, the hotel/resort prices would be up a greater % than what our dues would go up. Of course...I have a feeling that you can find pretty good deals out there right about now.

I also seem to recall that they said that you shouldn't look at it as a financial investment of course...but as an investment in your vacations and the enjoyment you get out of them.

And like I said, we make sure to use it every year, and each trip has been wonderful...so I can't complain there.

Just know what you're getting into and what you will get out of it, before you buy anything.

Be
  24th of Jun, 2009

We love SHELL... no we are not fake shell employees, who i'm sure have better things to do than make postings in their spare time.
we have been married for 5 years & owners for 6, bought in anaheim & upgraded twice. We've done more with our ownership than you could ever imagine... extended balconies on caribbean cruises, free wine tasting in napa, houseboats in havasu, you name it we can do it & while everyone is complaining about the economy we are planning our next trip in a condo anywhere we want!!! Maint sucks, but so does hotel tax & not having a kitchen on vacation.

An
  4th of Sep, 2009

beachchick -My question to you is have you ever stayed in the Anaheim Resort? Your tune would dramatically change then...Ours definitely did!

Wh
  7th of Apr, 2010

Maybe I am just a jaded attorney, but did any of the persons complaining about SVC do any investigation before they agreed to pay thousands and thousands of dollars? Do your homework people! Read the reviews about the various resorts on Web sites like Trip Advisors. Find out about the differences between interval ownership, points, and club memberships. Find out about Interval International and RCI and the costs involved in trading usage. Find out what the going rates on resales are through realtor services, Bid Shares, Timeshare User's Group, or, if you are a real bottom-feeder, eBay. We own an interval timeshare ownership at Paniolo Greens, which is a SVC resort, and just returned from a wonderful vacation. Not opulent, but the resort staff was great and the unit had everything a family needs to have a good vacation. Yes we did the timeshare presentation at Kona Coast resort and felt it was a waste of our time, although it did save us over $280 on the two activities we signed up for. It was a waste of our time because we went to the presentation knowing exactly what different timeshares cost on the resale market along with information about other costs such as maintenance fees, closing costs, resort transfer fees, and SVC simply wasn't competitive with the resale market. Of course, we bought our interval ownership timeshare at Paniolo Greens for less than 5 percent of what SVC charged the original owner and the maintenance fees are approximately 66 percent of what you would pay for that amount of points because a points membership forces you to join RCI. For markets to work, consumers must make informed decisions as to what is in their self-interest. In the age of the Internet, and all the complaints here are obviously made by persons having access to the Internet, if you make a spur of the moment buying decision based upon nothing other than what you are told at a timeshare sales presentation, you have only yourself to blame. It reminds me of the professor in The Paper Chase who gave a quarter to a student and told him to go call his mother and tell her she raised an idiot. But then, I am just a jaded lawyer.

An
  8th of Apr, 2010

For those of us that did our homework, we had the rules changed on us halfway through our first 4 years with Shell. Our contract with them apparently allowed it to happen. So it wouldn't have mattered how much research we did. Not everyone has the cash to pay them off right away and I have had well over 20 years experience with timeshares well into the early days. My family bought theirs before the days of trading power and before the days of points(in a different timeshare.) Rules change and management changes. What worked at one time won't always work 5 or 10 years down the line. It is easy to sit in a glass house and throw stones. Not everyone does the work that you do before going to a timeshare presentation because they go in for the free items. They never intend to buy and then they do. It's what sales is all about. But integrity and honesty in a company is harder to find in timeshares and resale timeshares. This is a complaint forum so what do you expect people to do? Complain.

Su
  5th of Feb, 2011

My main issue right now is I find the quailty of the Shell Properties inconsistent. Some resorts are really nice and others are like a standard hotel room, nothing special. I also found out that some properties are not owned by Shell, they just manage them. I am trying to get into a new, beautiful resort in Mexico. At this time Shell has no inventory there, but on the web I could book a room for the time period I want. We will probably be stuck in the older resort next door which has not been renovated yet. Since Shell does not own all of it's resorts, but just manages some of them, they don't always have total contol of booking reservations. In general the people have been very nice to us with Shell, and the costumer service has been good. The sales pitches aren't always completely true, but what I would do is continue to go to the free weekends they offer in the mail if you go to the "update", but just don't buy anymore points.

Ha
  4th of May, 2013

We bought our Shell membership in Hawaii when our room bill was $7000.00 for a 21 day stay on the big island. We have been to London, Aruba, Bermuda, Scottsdale for golfing and to the wine country in California. Some of the accomodations were not 5 star,
but we don't live in the room on vacation. We bought 7700 points with Shell for $3.43 a point. I here the same deal is $6.50 a
point. Our maintenace dues have increased about 1% a year, since the purchase. We use our program annually for a getaway
somewhere. RCI was $135.00 to do the deal, alot to punch the buttons on a computer. Don't buy a timeshare, if you can not use
it every year. That will be the only savings you can aquire!