Sharp / Sharp Aquos LCD LC42D72U TV

Purchased a Sharp LCD 42" TV model LC-42D72U exactly a year ago and it completely broke down. No picture and power, just blinking green power and OCP light. Called Sharp immediately and thank goodness was just within days of warranty expiring so a case number was issued and local repair shop was contacted. It has been two weeks since they picked up my TV and still no TV. Last time I called they were still waiting on a circuit board or some sort of board. I've been without a TV for over a month and I am getting very impatient. Sharp if you are reading, my case number is 4616226. What is up with this long wait? If it can't be fixed please give me a new TV.

Consumers beware, do not buy Sharp, they are not reliable products. I had a new Sharp microwave and I also had to get it repaired two or three.

Sharp get your act together.

Comments

• St
      21st of Mar, 2008
    Sharp Aquos Tv - NON WORKING PURCHASED 1/13/08
    44 HOYLE RD
    Craryville
    New York
    Phone: 518-851-7453

SHARP FLAT SCREEN PRICE 1600.00 PURCHASED 1/13/08 WILL NOT WORK AND SEARS WILL NOT LET ME RETURN ITEM. RECIEPT STATES 90 DAY RETURN BUT THEY STATE 30 DAY I AM STUCK WITH A TV THAT WILL NOT WORK THAT I PAID 1600.00 FOR TWO MONTHS AGAO. I AM STILL WAITING TO HEAR WHEN THEY CAN SEND SOME ONE OUT BUT THEY SHOULD JUST LET ME RETURN THIS ITEM. THIS IS VERY UNFAIR.

• Br
      5th of Nov, 2008

I totally agree. I have had my Sharp Aquos 42" lcd 18 months. There are dark lines (4) running from side to side and up and down. Contacted Sharp and they said too bad--out of warranty. Paid $2000 for this piece of junk. Read that these lines are caused by lcd panel seams breaking underneath.
    Buy a Samsung instead--they report no problems. BEWARE OF SHARP! They don't stand behind their products.

• Ly
      1st of Dec, 2008
    Sharp 32& 1080p for $479.00 - Wrong Price
    Dell
    dell.com

"Cyber Monday Sale" on Dell website.

Wrong price for "Sharp 32" 1080p for $479" on 12/01/08!!

Dell advertised Sharp 32" 1080p for $479 as Cyber Monday sale. However, when I clicked on the link to purchase, it routed me to a different product Sharp 32" 720p with $479 price. I realized right away that something was wrong so I called the customer service. Dell told me that it was a mistake and they meant to advertise for 720p Sharp instead of 1080p Sharp.

I requested to let me buy 1080p Sharp with $479 as advertised. I talked to several supervisors and managers but I ended up being disappointed at the end. They did not honor the advertised price.

I've been a loyal customer to Dell for many years and it was upsetting that they didn't care enough to cover for their own mistake.

Let me know if there is anyone out there who may have similar experience with Dell.

• Fr
      29th of Dec, 2008
    Sharp 52& LCD TV - Horrible Service
    Charlotte
    North Carolina

I was given a Sharp 52" tv on November 20 by my wife for an anniversary gift. She ordered the TV from QVC. The TV only worked for 4 days and started to power off. After calling QVC for a replacement, I was told that the could not replace the TV because they were on a waiting list. That only starts the frustration. I called Sharp for service, they scheduled a service call for a week later. The day before the scheduled appointment the service called me to verify the time and address. I took the day off from work to meet the technician, on the morning of the service call I get a call from the tech to diagnose the problem and let me know he would order the parts and reschedule when the parts arrive. This was frustrating to no end, because this was already scheduled and Sharp informed me that they would send all the needed parts to the service tech before the service call. After another week I called the service tech to schedule an appointment. On 12/08/2008 the tech showed up at my home and replaced the power supply in the tv, only to find out the repair did not work. The tech informed me he woud call and order more parts and reschedule another service call. I immediately called Sharp service and complained, the Sharp rep, . informed me they would replace the tv and it would take 7 to 10 days. On 12/23/2008 the delivery company arrived to replace the tv and the screen of the new unit was completely shattered. I called Sharp while the delivery guys were there only to be told the department that could help me was shut down due to a "Blizzard". So, I spent the holidays without a television. On 12/26/2008 I called to complain and was told the tv would be replaced AGAIN, and the order would be sent that day. I called today(12/29/2009) to check the status and was told the tv was in route. I called the shipping company and they have NO shipping information. So Sharp lied again. This has truly been the worst experience I have ever had with a consumer product. I will never by another Sharp product or order from QVC again.

• Gy
      8th of Mar, 2009

Thowring good money after bad... Replacing the PSB with the same bad part on the board is your problem...

gysgt2u1@yahoo.com

Semper Fi

• Ke
      22nd of Mar, 2009

I agree completely with the above comments. Sharp quality and customer service is worthless to say the least. I have an Aquos LC-32DA5U and recently had the same problems as many others that I have been reading. Power up only to get blinking OPC and POWER green leds. The set is out of warranty and sharp is no help except to suggest a service center over an hour away from me. I ordered a service manual off line and am 75% sure this is all a power board failure. These boards are hard to find. I am assuming from the mass failures of these televisions. You can't get on a message or help board with out noticing several people with the same problem. For the 1600-2000$ price tag on these sets you should be able to expect more from them. I am going to get the soldering gun out and try to fix mine we will see what happens there. As for sharp I am going to do what I can as a consumer and not buy any more sharp products. I hope everyone else who has had the same problem does likewise. If we tell are friends family and coworkers like I have maybe we can make a difference and companies like sharp might try to stand by there high end equipment better then they do now. I am planning on 3 more tvs in the near future and maybe a fourth if I can't get this one working. I am not sure what kind yet but know none will be a sharp brand.

• Ji
      23rd of Mar, 2009

My Sharp Aquos has given up the ghost after a mere 10000hours use over five years. You may think that five years is an acceptable time for a TV to last, I don't! All previous TVs have lasted ad infinitum, and to really put this into context from an environmental point of view, one of my first "green" light bulbs purchased nearly 25 years ago has only just failed. If we can expect a light bulb to last, why not a TV, especially when it was so expensive! Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, section 14, a product must demonstrate durability irrespective of warranty...so watch out vendor, I feel a law action coming along!

• Ju
      14th of Jul, 2009
    Sharp - SHARP LC-26SH12U
    SHARP
    339 CANHAM ROAD
    Scotts Valley
    California
    Phone: 831 438 0685

ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO THE VOLUME CONTROL WOULD NOT WORK WELL, COULD BARLEY HEAR TV WHICH WAS PURCHASED FROM COSTCO TWO YEARS AGO.

• Sh
      10th of Aug, 2009

I have my Aquos purchased from Costco, and it is broken down 1 month after the 2 year (costco extended) warranty, with blinking power, then a complete dead.

Consider, I watch this TV only for about 1 hour per every 3 weeks or less, it should be new brand new condition. This is my last Sharp TV.

• Ss
      24th of Sep, 2009
    Sharp - Simply awful
    Sharp

I bought a Sharp 65" DLP TV 2 years ago. The Color Wheel, a part that Samsung sells for $100, stopped working. My technician tried to buy one unsuccessfully. I spoke to Sharp in many departments. I was told that Sharp insists you buy the Color Engine for $1700 to $2700.Even though the color wheel is a plug in part. They will not sell it. Customer Service politely told me to"dump it".It is the price of a new set. The stupid girl asked if I would buy another Sharp. I said never. She asked me "why".

I am 82 years old and look forward to my large screen TV. I can't afford to buy a $2700. TV every 2 years.Please let everyone buying a Sharp product to be where.

• Ni
      19th of Oct, 2009

I have same problem with my sharp aquos 42" just under 2 yrs old & not used much, suddenly switched off, sharp did not want to know as it was out of guarantee, had it looked at & turned out to be the main power board- apparently this is a common problem!! I will never buy a sharp product again. I am now out of pocket by £938 & nothing I can do as it was purchased from Makro (a whloesalers) so can not use sales of goods act!! people should be made aware of this. PLEASE DO NOT BUY SHARP!!!
    Also heard samsung have similar power problems.

• Ji
      26th of Oct, 2009

I have a sharp lc-32d43u, I recieved the tv for a service award, , , 18 months ago, , , thank god I didn't have to buy it, , , 6 months after I recieved the tv the while watching the news, , , , the screen went dark, , , sound was still on, , , so I turned it off and it came back on, , , thought cool, , , no problem, , well last week it did it again, , , this time with two green lights blinking, , , the picture went out and sound stayed on, , , , , , so I turned it off with the remote, , it never came back on again, , , I called sharp for a repair center and to see if there was anything they could do, , , Jason the Customer service rep...said sorry it is out of warranty, , , and since we have not had previous problems similar to this there was nothing sharp could do, , my only option take it to an repair shop and pay to have it fixed, , , the repair is in the power supply block, , and will cost me $260.00...my money...after gettin online, , , I have seen numerous problems similiar to this, , , and some exactly the same...If I can help it I will never own anything made by sharp again, , , the tv was in bedroom...and was watched no more that an hour a night, , , two nights a week, , the rest of the week I am out of town for work, , , , who's coming out ahead on this...??

• Tr
      21st of Nov, 2009

The volume is bad. Also, our TV sometimes takes 10 minutes to "warm-up". We get nothing but colorful bars while we wait for a picture to appear.

• Pe
      9th of Dec, 2009

I have a Sharp Aquos TV that stopped working after 3 months...$2700.00 well spent...Sharp have given me the run around and refuse to replace my television...It has been at their Authorised service agent now for 5 weeks who keep telling me that SHARP keep sending the wrong parts to fix the problem...I will never ever buy another SHARP product nor will any of my friends...SHAME on you SHARP

• Po
      20th of Jan, 2010

I purshase a Sharp LC52d64u LCD TV from QVC on 9/6/08 and with this purchase I received fifteen month warranty and lucky I did. The TV when out two weeks prior to my warranty ending and luckily I had purchased an three year extended warranty which began the day after the manufactures warranty ran out. The TV tech came out with all the right parts to fix the TV but after inspecting the TV the Tech said that all it needed was to have the TV reset. The TV worked for about two weeks and went out again with the same problem. (As I said earlier I am thankfull for purchasing the extended warranty!!) The TV tech was contacted again and when the tech came out he informed me that he was hear to replace the boards but as he started to work found out the Sharp had sent the wrong parts. After a wait of three weeks a different tech came out and replaced the parts but found out the the problem was not the circut boards but the LCD panel itself. After serveral calls they agreed to rplace the TV with a newer model but same size which is finally going to be delivered on 1/22/2010. I am looking forward to having the new TV but am not feeling to confident that I will not have any more problems. I recommend to everyone to make sure that you spend the money for the extended warranty and keep track of when the warranty will expired and purchase another one. The warranty cost was around $250 for three years and I am finding out it was money well spent. Hope everyone has better luck with their Sharp Aquos then I did and as I have told Sharp this will be the last TV I will purchase from them because of the slow customer service.

Just a final not I purchase a Pioneer TV in 2004 which is a Pioneer Plasma monitor TV and has over 30000 hours on it and the only item that has been replaced was the power center which went out just past 15000 hours and was replaced under a factory warranty even though the TV was four years old and had to warranty. I recommend highly to everyone to purchase Pioneer TV's as I have two new ones that are just over two years old and have had no problems.

6th of Jul, 2010

Our 18 month old Sharp Aquos just died. We called the customer service hotline...the representative said there was nothing he could do for us, nor could he point us in direction of somebody who could. He did not seem to care about our problem at all and was extremely rude. He even told us to "stop wasting his time and ours". Buyer beware.

10th of Aug, 2010

I have had a 37 " Sharp high-def, LCD television for 3 years. In the last few months it has developed a dark "smudge" type mark on the screen that is growing larger. Anyone else? Will it eventually cover the entire screen? . The Panasonic it replaced was over 20 years old. Is there anything I can do? $1, 000 for a tv was a major, unprecedented purchase for me as I prepared for retirement.

6th of Oct, 2010

I just dealt with Sharp customer service today regarding my 32" LCD going black screen and the power button flashing green.

TERRIBLE customer service and no support whatsoever!!! They just gave me the run around and when I asked to speak to the supervisor it was more of the same.

I will NEVER purchase a Sharp product again!!!

Sticking to Sony and Panasonic or Toshiba.

23rd of Nov, 2010

I had a serious problem with Sharp company, they produce trash, I bought my TV from amazon.com a year and half, when I got it I had problem with Audio and fuzzy screen. The Fuzzy screen used to stay one min and go normal so I didn't give it much attention like what happen to Audio which is extremely low. The TV was Sharp Aquos LC32GP1U please check the price it was $1200, down the drain.
    The customer service is extremely unprofessional, first they offered me to fix it in a local shop then they told me no the TV needs panel and it will cost more its value so they offered me to return my TV and get prorated one for reduced price. Pay more money, WHY? I paid enough already and buy another Sharp WHY? Conclusion I will never buy any Sharp product I will turn all my friends and the people I know against this company boycott their product for their own sake

• Un
      14th of Dec, 2010

I am a personal protection consultant. Currently, I am representing a client who is complaining about a similar problem as noted above. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who can offer any information that may assist me in resolving his case. Sharp Canada, has indeed been a difficult partner in the resolution process, to say the least. Please reply to unidrv@live.ca if you feel you may have any information to offer. Thanks
    SGB - unidrv PPC.