Shank Animal Hospital / torture and scam artist!

3225 N Andrews Ave, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 33309Oakland Park, FL, United States Review updated:
2.5
Phone: (954)563-1263

I never complain... But this was too much. First of all I have been to shank animal hospital before and I remember that I thought to myself never to go there again. I needed an appointment for my dog but didn't have much time and shank had an opening (I know why now). I went there for his annual shots. First of all my dog had to be muzzled because they said he is a very aggressive dog... I have a toy american eskimo... He is very similar to a pomerarian. After my dog was screaming and crying for an hour straight they added $200 extra medication my dog really didn't need. I returned the medication but didn't receive any refund for all their unnecessary pet testing!!!

If you care about your pet do not take them here. They are very rough with the pets. And anyway the doctor barely treat them... His "assistants" did.in the end I had to hold by dog myself in the lobby while some lady came to give my dog a shot for rabies.

I feel they should pay me for all the torture and overcharging.
Ev

Comments

Se
  15th of Feb, 2008
I agree. TOTAL scam artist. They are cruel to pets!!!!
Se
  15th of Feb, 2008
I agree they are cruel to animals.
Aj
  11th of Jun, 2008
I totally agree. This Dr. is very old. My ears were cropped wrong. He didn't want to give me my money back. Plus, I had a friend get a regular visit and saw him screaming and yelling at his employs like dogs. I said I wanted my records and never went back.
Fo
  27th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am a former employee of Shank and we all had to quit because he treated us terribly. It is not often when you have to come to work and someone that works there is crying on a daily basis because of him.
Not to mention he is particularly cruel to animals in the back to where they flinch at the sight of him. He also loved to pee on the toilets, then have employees go scrub the toilet bowls when that was not in the job description just like cleaning the floor tiles around the walls with a toothbrush. I kid you not when I say that it was the worst experience of my life working there. The things I have seen and been through there, I can probably write a book. I am glad that I quit!
An
  19th of Jun, 2009
Took cat to Dr. Shank in 06/2009. We have had a great experience with Dr. Shank. He took care of our cat, performed surgery on him for 1/2 the rate of other vets in Boca (where everything is more expensive), and has generally been up front about the costs providing estimates which must be approved and such. Nothing has seemed out of the ordinary. Dr. Shank has come across as a very pleasant, easy to deal with person and we're just glad to have our kitty alive and recuperating well. I'm sorry others have had such a negative experience. We'll be sure to keep our eyes and ears open, but for us, so far, so good.
Rp
  21st of Jun, 2009
As a former employee I totally disagree with what the other "former employee" has stated. Dr. Shank is a very kind and respectable man he is also very good at his job. In my 8 months of working there I have never witnessed any of the behavior described or those ridiculous tasks performed. Though I am no longer working there I continue to bring my pets there because not only is he a good doctor but the prices are reasonable aswell.
  28th of Jun, 2009
I have never seen a vet with such a callous attitude. And the level of care was absolutely horrifying!

If your experience was anything like mine, I urge you to file a formal complaint with The State of Florida and The Florida Veterinary Medical Association.

email: info@fvma.com
Ar
  29th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
So far as far what i have expierenced from Dr Shank is unlike the negative and ugly comments by some posted here.He seems like a very kind, down to earth Vet.Also he has lectured i at seminars around the nation and real professional.
My nearly 7 year old Cavalier King Charles Spainiel has an appointment for some oral surgery next week and i have no reluctance with Dr shanks what so ever.
Ve
  30th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Ya know.. I have read all these comments and I have to say.. working in a veterinary office myself we deal with people of all walks of life. Some clients come in and will do whatever is neccessary for their pets. Other owners really have no business owning an animal let alone several that they cant afford. They think that getting a Rabies shot every now and then is all that needs to be done. Everything is too expensive and they'd complain no matter what. Places like Petco or Petsupermarket offer low cost shots and it makes it difficult for an animal hospital to do what needs to be done. They can offer it cheap because they just give a shot and send you on your way. I love it when we get the call from a client trying to save money that went to a low cost clinic and their pet is having a reaction. Why cant they take their pet back to the low cost clinic??? Why because they do not have the training or know how to deal with it. They refer you to an actual doctor where you should have been in the first place! I wouldnt take my child to toys-r-us for shots because they were cheaper!!! I have had dealings with this doctor under fire & although he may come across "rough" and "callous" its because he has been in practice over 30 years. He gets disgusted with the neglect he comes across. He simply says it like it is. He believes in good & complete care for animals. He went to school for many years to get the training and earn what he charges. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!
Jd
  1st of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have had my dog boarded there numerous times even though it is far from my house. When I boarded my dog elsewhere closer to home he was miserable and came back with patches of hair missing etc. Everytime I have had him at DR. Shanks office he comes back fine and healthy, he has no problems with them and eagerly goes with them on leash when they take him back for boarding. DR. Shank has also treated my dog for his annual check ups and has performed oral surgery as well, I jhave no complaints
Ht
  22nd of Sep, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I took my dog to Shank Animal Hospital today for a neuter. Dr. Shank and his staff were very proffessional and friendly. The office was really clean and his prices are affordable compared to others in the area.
When we went back later in the afternoon due to my dog licking his wounds he did not hesitate to go in and greet the doctor and his staff happily. (that tells me he wasn't abused or harmed while he was there) They didn't charge me for the collar he has to wear and their primary concern was my dogs health. Dr. Shank and staff spent time talking to me about the procedure, I didn't feel rushed.
I feel bad that others had such negative experiences however mine was quite the opposite.
We will definately go back...
Ge
  27th of Dec, 2009
I love Dr Shank
He has taken care of my pets for 20+ years .. Great service and I have had several cats with long and Happy lives thanks to Dr Shank.
You get what you PAY for !
Co
  30th of Mar, 2010
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I was really taken advantage of at this clinic and it sounds like it is a common problem. I registered with the Humane Society to get a discounted spay for my dog and they sent me to Shank Clinic. They gave me a really hard time about her shots saying the tag was not proof enough she had her shots and so I updated a few shots that they said she needed and that was an extra $34.00 in addition to the $50 for the spay. I thought this was no biggy. Immediately after her surgery they called me to pick her up and I mean she had surgery around 11:30 and they called me at 1 pm. I waited till 4:30 to pick her up in case there were any complications. I had my male dog nuetered at a different vet and they kept him overnight just in case for no extra charge. Someone enlighten me if this sounds odd. They had put these cruel wires about 1/2 inch long that were sticking up through the incision so she would not pick at it but they really scratched and irritated her stomach but they said it would keep her from licking the incision. I thought this was strange. The very next day the incision was gaping open so I rushed back to the clinic. They stapled it up in 5 min. and put on a collar so she could not get to the incision and we went home. A week later the incision looked good so my husband cut off the long wires so her stomach scratches could heal and two days later she looked great. Two days later I took off the collar for a minute to brush her and I turned my back for an instant and she had licked the incision and it was gaping about 1/4 of an inch. I immediately took her back to the clinic. They told me she needed to be put under in order for them to staple it back up and that it would cost $150. I asked them why last time it took them 5 min. and no mention of putting her "under"? I said just numb the area and staple it up because I did not like the idea of putting her under again. They did and charged me $130. They said she could not be put under anyway because it had been only 4 hours since she had last eaten. They also gave her an antibiotic shot. All of this took about 20 min. max. I doubt they even numbed her before they stapled her because there was no swelling from any punctures and it takes a few minutes for it to get numb anyway. I felt I was really taken advantage of by Dr. Shank. Also when I was there there was a woman in the lobby that said she would never return there again either. Live and learn I guess.
Ft
  24th of Jun, 2010
Donna Bingham is a very loving and nice person she is the best there and if she left id be gone forever...but i agree about the old Dr. there
Ja
  20th of Nov, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Dr. Shank began as my family vet when I was 5 (1991). He took care of our German Shepherds, Shih tzus, and my jack rat. He always allowed my family and I to be in the back treatment area whenever the animals were treated. He also offered my a job at 18, continued to let me work there through college, and wrote my recommendation letter for VETERINARY school. He is an amazing vet and an even better employer. He did not put up with techs or receptionists that were disrespectful and lazy. His prices are very reasonable...you should check around if you dont believe me. He has NEVER once been abusive to any animals. A toy eskimo is nothing similar to a pomeranian... look up their descriptions provided by the AKC " American Eskimos like to work. They are naturally wary of strangers, but once introduced, they become instant friends. Eskimos need to be part of the family, with a firm, consistent, confident pack leader. If you allow the dog to believe he is the ruler of your home, many varying degrees of behavior issues will arise. Including, but not limited to, separation anxiety, obsessive barking, dog aggressiveness, willful, and guarding. Without enough mental and physical exercise, they can become hyperactive and high strung, spinning in circles. Small dogs have a higher tenancy to become the pack leader over humans, because they are small and cute, and often times the humans are oblivious as to what has happened. Read Small Dog Syndrome to find out more." He is an amazing vet and does not deserve the slander. I am sure many of you are clients that run from vet clinic to vet clinic complaining about all of your previous clinics trying to receive discounts. As for the disgruntled employees, I am sure you have had trouble at other clinics...I remember working with you and you were extremely disrespectful to him and to some of the clients.
Ja
  20th of Nov, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
FTYH dogs are not cheap, you should not own one if you cant afford one. Also you are not a vet and should not have removed the suture, it was there to allow the skin incision to heal and prevent dihiscence. I really hope you if plan to own another dog you listen to your vet, whomever you chose, instead of performing procedures you are not qualified to do. When you go to human doctors you are charged for anything and everything they do, as well as what their lpns, rn, and nurse practitioners do. The veterinary field is no different. Also, the metal sutures are used at any clinic that you use a voucher...the assumption being if you cant afford a spay/neuter you cant afford the extra e collar or other products to prevent your animal from LICKING at the incision. He was not in the wrong
Pe
  8th of Dec, 2010
Dr. Shank is an absolutely great doctor, despite your negative and RUDE comments about Dr. Shank. Despite his age he has been in business for almost 40 years and I have not one complaint about his services. He is polite and very caring. People have bad experiences all the time but if you are cheap and dont want to pay for your pets health then i suggest you find another doctor because he will always offer whats best for the pet and not your pocket. I have seen him turn away clients because they are more concerned about their pockets then their pets health for things that were necessary. I STAND TRUE TO MY COMMENT DR. SHANK IS GREAT!
Ou
  8th of Apr, 2012
Dr. Shank is a complete JOKE! I took my dog there at 7:45 am for a treatment of worms. I had to leave the dog because the actual doctor doesn't come in until 9am as told to me by Dennis. When he got there I was told he needed to be placed on an iv for dehydration. I said okay Dennis took my dog and information & I left. At about 10:30 I called to check on my dog and they told me he was okay & feeling better. My husband got off work at 3:30 went to the office to check on the dog & they advised he died 20 minutes after I dropped him off we asked what type of treatment he received they said NONE !!! I was in utter disbelief that my dog who was VERY MUCH ALIVE & WELL just died!!! I only took him in for his loose stool he was fine!!! I will NEVER take my dog back
Lu
  1st of Nov, 2012
My greyhound had two broken legs, on her second broken leg they wrapped the leg in bandage and that was it, unlike the first one where they put a stick of wood in it to keep it straight and from fracturing again. I though this wasn't correct but knowing they were professionals I didn't say anything. I took her home. I notice swelling in her leg. After me closely watching the dog for days and taking care of her. I take her back. And they tell me she re broke her leg. After being treated with an attitude we went home. the next day we came back to check on her only to be greeted by all the doctors having a bad attitude towards me and my family. We go into the X ray room to look at the new X rays. And immediately Dr. Shank says "look she broke her leg cause of your fault, it was your fault." I thought this was uncalled for, I told him to calm down. Everything started to get heated up. Then I followed by telling him "We always took care of our dog we would never let this happen to her" I continued to say something but he interrupted me and yelled "###! I don't have time for this ###" And stormed out the room. my dad, my brother and I stood there in awe and all looked at each other. We could not believe what just happened. We chased after the doctor who kept repeating and yelling the same things. That we were liars and everything that happened to our dog was our fault. His reply to everything we said was "###". Which was total disrespect. And then he had the nerve to tell me they will keep the dog until the full bill has been payed. Which is ridiculous. We always had an intent to pay our bill in full as we always had. Do you think that's right? Someone saying that about my baby girl which I love so much. That they'll keep her until we pay the whole bill? What if we don't have the money? They'll just hold her forever? I thought this was very unprofessional of them. There was more to the story but I'd be writing all day about the messed up things they said in there. As a lot of you know greyhounds are mischievous dogs when no ones around. Mine liked finding her way on top of counters from chairs to try to find food. Thus falling off and breaking her leg. It's not my fault. My family works all day we can't be watching her 24/7. Sometimes during the work hours she's alone. It was wrong for them to outright say it was our fault the dog broke her leg. If you plan on making payments here be prepared for them to not give you back your pet until you finish. And harass you with phone calls that you owe them money. I only took my dog here because it was the closest vet I knew. But if I would of know how unprofessional they are I would of never taken my baby there. I regret it every time I go back there. And the first leg they fixed ended up and messed up and twisted too. I'm no expert in animals but I can tell you for a fact this place does not do their job right. Please find a better place for your animals I'm sure you can. In the end we ended up treated without any respect (My dad can't speak English well) So they just treated him as if he was stupid or ###ed. They screamed out curse words in front of my 10 year old little brother, insulted us. Not even an apology was given. Like I said, find a legit place for your animals. Don't risk it.
Th
  9th of Nov, 2012
CA push you around if they sniff you don't know your rights. So before you engage them to make any arrangement Google these and become an informed consumer.
1-what to do when you are contacted by a collections agency.
2-your rights under federal laws FDCPA and FCRA
3-Validation of debt (VOD), cease and desist (C&D), CMRRR
4-Your state's Statute of Limitations (SOL) on debt.
5-post your questions at debtorboards dot com if things get thick