Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed / Terrible experience!

Rockland, MA, United States Review updated:
4.2
I purchased a sleep number bed do to a couple of herniated discs in my back. I had been sleeping on the couch and we had heard it helped with back problems. When we first got it it was amazing I never had a back problem again and could have been a spokes person for them until... We had remodeled our home and had to move our bed when we went to take apart the mattress to move it we noticed under the cover it was filled with Black Mold (and my husband is highly allergic to mold) we contacted them immediately and they sent us a new mattress for US to set up and we had to find someone with a truck because we had to send them back the old one. Ever since we received this new mattress we lose air and there is a crater in the middle and it is high on the sides, it slips off the boxspring all the time and it just seems to big for the boxspring. We contacted them again since I am back on the couch and the sent out these caps for us to try to see if they would work to stop the air loss and no they didn't. We will be calling tonight and demanding them to send us a new bed and if they refuse or do not help us out with all the money we spent (they are not cheap) I will make sure there will be blogs, media attention etc... What bad business, first of all to have people with back problems buy their beds and then expect them to return these unbelievably huge boxes so they can hide the fact of MOLD...

Comments

An
  14th of Mar, 2008
I have had my sleep number mattress since 2004... my husband and keep trying to find our number.... so we have experimented to no avail.... cannot find our number's, I called the store where we bought it and they said to check our air hose's... not knowing where they were, the store clerk guided me throuth this.. I pulled up my mattress and discovered MOLD, MOLD, MOlD and was horrified by what I saw... I have suffered, allergies, breathing problems, face hives, body aches, and, stiffness with joints. Could not figure out where all these problems were coming from... untill I saw the MOLD... I've always been fine until I go to bed then all of a sudden all these ailments are there... I took off my bed skirt since it's just a dust magnent and clean and vacuum all the time... Well guess what I am sleepint on top of a disaster...MOLD.... make sure you check out your bed... and make sure you're not sleeping on the MOLDE I discovered...
Re
  5th of Apr, 2008
OMIGOODNESS! We have had our select comfort for 9 years (supposed to last 20) and because it has felt so awful the past few years, we finally decided to get a new bed. Well, this morning when we took the bed apart we were HORRIFIED to find it full of black mold! My husband and I have both suffered sinus infections for the first time in our life with this bed and I have had bronchitis and a chronic cough. I will be contacting the company today but I first went on line to see if others had this issue and have seen several reports on line of the same thing. I wanted to make sure to warn others. Perhaps if there are enough cases of this, something can be done. I don't want another bed from them but I would like some refund of this rip off! DO NOT BUY!!!
Di
  15th of Apr, 2008
I do not understand how sleep number gets away with selling a product that is a danger to consumers. Mold is very dangerous and an extreme health hazard and I got charged $200 to have this dangerous material removed from my home!!! NOT FAIR not only do I get charged $200 to remove the mattress that smelled so horrible that even my dog would not come in the room, but they even kept me waiting for over a week to get it out!!!

I got the run around from the company, they are not cooperative they did not care that I have asthma and that the smell was bothered me.
Gl
  17th of May, 2008
All who have this mold problem . I think we should get together and start a class action law suit. I will be contacting my attorney on this matter for my wife has been sick with allergy problems to the point that she cannot sleep on this bed . Please send me an e-mail with some information about your complaints and any limited personal information, Name, first if you like, a contact # and or an E-mail address. We should not have to stand for this Crap!!! We spent alot of money and i demand action!!! My name is Glenn Holewa from Bayside Queens N.Y. Please E-mail me . This message has been posted 5/17/08
Me
  4th of Aug, 2008
I recently purchased the top of the line Dvx from sleep train. I was told this was the same as the 9000 model. When I asked about the problem with the mold, I was informed they have corrected that a few years ago. The problem I am having is that my bed will not stay at 100, it deflates down to 80 on both sides. I Has anyone else had this problem? First my pumps were replaced then the whole top mattress. Please Email if you have any info on this issue. Thank you
Ki
  16th of Feb, 2009
I have had Mold in the parts of the mattress and a severe cough that only happened as I slept on my select comfort mattress. I would cough constantly thru the night,
The company replaced the inserts of the mattress and assured me that it was not going to happen again .
Well the cough started again, so I opened the mattress to find that there was not any mold that was visible but the inflatable chambers were wet and I am now wondering what the mattress chambers were treated with as I frequently awake in the middle of the night feeling overheated and still coughing.
I am very concerned and the company refuses to help.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Mo
  31st of Jan, 2011
I have had a simmons bed for 5 years. Same problems, for over a year. Sagging where I sleep bad back problems. Just going with sleep number. Not going to bother with warranty because I don't ever want another simmons in my house again!

Sleep Number Corporation Logo Sleep Number Corporation