Sea World / No special needs assist for day camps

1 Orlando, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-GO-TO-CAMP

I wanted to send my son, who has Asperger's Syndrome, to the day camp at Sea World. Though he is very high functioning (13 and 8th grade advanced classes), there are some things that he would need in accommodation to make his experience great! When I called this morning I was informed that Sea World makes "NO accommodations" for children with special needs. I'm looking for simple things like: someone too keep the extra eye on him, have in-door activities in the afternoon or make sure that there is shade and ability to get wet and cool off, intervene in conversations should he be picked on, smaller size group. That's it! They have a 1 to 10 ratio, however the class size is 40 students with 4 counselors. Basically, that is WAY too large of a group for him and he would easily get left behind or ignored and not feel involved.

Nope, nothing... I really didn't feel I was looking for a lot, but apparently $369 bucks can't give that extra little for people trying to enjoy life like their peers. What a shame, Sea World should be publicly ridiculed for this until they change their policy.

An

Comments

• Ho
      16th of Apr, 2015

Actually, you are asking for alot. You are basically asking for him to have his own counselor (who has knowledge of Aspergers) - which would cost the program more money, and to totally re-arrange the day/program to accomodate his special need. My child is not special needs, and I would be angry if I paid that much money for her to go, and her day had to revolve around your child. I'm sure he'd love the Sea World camp, but you need to find a camp that caters to special needs and has experience dealing with them.